Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France (Tignes) TV Query

Poster: A snowHead
Planning on a trip to our Tignes apartment this summer. Owing to work commitments, now looks like we'll need to go during the European footy championships - which leads me onto a query...

We have a newish (2 or 3 years old) TV/DVD player that we bought in France but that we have only ever used to play DVDs - we have never used it as a TV as we have no aerial. Although there is seemingly an old aerial socket in the wall, I'm assuming that would be of the old analogue variety (??).

Can anyone advise on what I need to do to get the TV up and running so that I can watch the football? Can I just plug in an aerial? If so, what type? (A UK one?)

Apologies in advance if this is all a bit numpty-esque wink - I'll admit I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this sort of thing Embarassed....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If all else fails, ask the syndic. The communal aerial might well be up to date.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is your TV an HD one ? You may need an extra decoder box.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I just had the same issue at my place.

I got internet fitted which then allowed me to use all iplayers etc. with the laptop.

The Livebox internet included loads of French TV channels, although I have no idea if football is included, I doubt it.

I am also going to have Sky fitted this summer-I found it a pain having to get up all the time to walk to the lap top in order to watch something else.

Sky is going to be €400 all in-that will just get me the basic freeview stuff, but at least I will have a remote control lol.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Sky is going to be €400 all in

Golly. What's the 400 for? A friend fitted my satellite dish (which he got off ebay in a job lot) in return for a good dinner. Of course, I did have to buy a TV and a Humax thing so if that's all included, the price is understandable. It is well worth being able to record programmes because the things I actually want to watch are always on too late in France.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mountainaddict, we just needed digital terrestrial valuable tvs (or tuners). You maybe have the type of tv that works already otherwise a decoder is inexpensive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My TV is 7 years old (1800 HD bought in Spain) and works perfectly in my pad in Tignes, I just retuned it in April after the move to HD and I get 30 channels for free. However, the coporop did buy a new aerial to serve the building about 3 years ago after Tignes Cable was taken off air. If you let me know the name of the building then I might know someone in it. The next question is whether the footy is free to air in France or via a pay channel like Canal+.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My five year old (UK purchased & UK version) Panasonic TV picks up all the new French HD channels through the communal aerial in my apartment block.

No guarantees but you you might find your 2/3 year old TV works after a retune.

Obviously you can only watch the FTA channels, but I assume some football matches will be FTA on French TV.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought a UK Samsung Smart TV out here plugged the building coax in and it just works Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Theres no such thing as an 'old analogue variety' of aerial. So long as the aerial is getting a decent strength signal it should work for digital tv.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tubaski, Is correct. Currently running a digital full HD TV from a 40 year old aerial lying on the floor of the loft. It just works. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought a TV + DVD player in the UK plugged it into the aerial socket in my apartment, switched on and tuned to the digital channels being broadcast (dozens available) . Mind you just gettng TV does not mean there is anything worth watching on it
http://youtube.com/v/YAlDbP4tdqc. Now it hangs on the wall not even plugged in, purely as a sales aid to encourage renting.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@cad99uk, so are we (in the UK). Our rooftop one blew down about 10 years ago, and we plugged the loft one in as a temporary solution.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all - helpful as ever Smile.

Cheers for that chocksaway - we are in Chalet Club 4 - about half way up the main Val Claret outdoor car park.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict, Sorry, don't know anyone in there (yet!).
snow conditions
I stayed in there just before our aptartment purchase went through. The apt had wireless and some sort of box on the wall that had a built in VPN so could watch UK tv on the laptop. Was a bit slow TBH, but better via my own VPN.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy