Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

working and getting as much piste time as possible

Poster: A snowHead
I'm taking a gap year starting in July and wanted to do a ski season as a Chalet Host over the Winter 2016/17. Any suggestions where I should start looking?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd write to every chalet operator you can think off - google is your friend. Just send them a cover letter telling them why you think you'd be a good chalet host and with a brief CV that illustrates customer service and cooking experience.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you can partner up with someone looking for a chalet chef job you will be about 10,000x more attractive to chalet operators - or to us at least!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In an application/cover letter what are the best things to include?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The forum has died, but presumably there's still useful info somewhere on http://jobs.natives.co.uk
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think your title and opening post don't necessarily correlate - rookie chalet host isn't the job to do to maximise ski time. Working your socks off til January then ski bumming is.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I think your title and opening post don't necessarily correlate - rookie chalet host isn't the job to do to maximise ski time. Working your socks off til January then ski bumming is.

Exactly. Any highish paid job you can do during the summer months taking 3 months from Dec to Mar would do. IT, Locum, Working on sea walls.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Working in the mountains sucks.

Get some credit cards, loans and bank of pop.

Ski and drink every day for 5 months.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Register with these guys http://www.skiworld.co.uk/recruitment
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Work hard over the Summer and Autumn to save up money for accommodation and lift pass, book a room in a seasonnaire chalet or similar, go out to resort and find weekend cleaning or transfer day jobs to fund food and beer while you are out there. Worked in Morzine for my son. Except that he worked hard the summer after to pay us back for the advance on the accommodation money...
He got a lot more skiing that winter than the previous one where he was hosting for Inghams. If you are going to do the hosting bit, try to be in a ski in ski out location, otherwise you waste significant amounts of precious skiing time getting to and from the slopes - daughter was in Belle Plagne this winter, which was great, she could be on her skis fifteen minutes after finishing shift.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LowriB,
Don't be put off the idea by the comments about ski time - I skied 5 half days and 1 full day per week all season as a chalet host. And I was in the bar every night. Admittedly sleep was at a premium!

Do you have cooking experience/qualifications? If you do, then that opens up many more jobs. In fact you should consider doing a course if you don't. Otherwise think what you would want as a client or resort manager from a host - cheerful, practical, considerate, good with people, able to manage a budget. Nothing wrong with having a passion for skiing either. If you have relevant language skills then flaunt them!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yup, you can get good ski time as a chalet host. Not necessarily in the first couple of weeks, but once you are in a routine and organised it is possible to be on the slopes by 10am, and you wouldn't have to be back in the chalet until after lifts close. That would be 5 days a week, plus you get the whole of your day off (depending on how good you are at getting up after the previous night!). Transfer day is more often than not a no-go for skiing, but some people manage an hour or two depending on guest arrival/departure times.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
best bet is to try to get a job in a night club - work till late but don't start until the evening - try Dicks T Bar or similar.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For a very young person such as the OP I think there are advantages to doing a working season, rather than being a ski bum. I interviewed a lot of new graduates when I chaired Civil Service Selection Boards and some people had learnt a lot doing that sort of job - or at least, were able to give sufficiently intelligent thought to the question to make useful points at interview! It gives you a structure - and a ready made team of people around you. And a whole series of time deadlines and required output - which often comes as something as a shock to the system. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think that is a great point Pam. Starting out on your career, employers would be much happier to see that you'd held down a job while skiing than just bummed
snow conditions
Depends doesn't it and the OP didn't ask about padding her CV. Working 2 unglamorous jobs in the UK for 6 months to save for a season sounds like it needs a bit more pluck and stickability (plus budget control etc) and finding own accommodation, etc etc demonstrates a but more initiative than rocking up into a nannied mainstream TO job where everything is provided/menus planned and even food procurement is done centrally. But as we've discovered on previous threads people who have been involved in recruitment positions seem to have a wide range of views on even the desirability of gap years.

There is no getting over the fact that the true ski bum gets vastly more skiing than a worker if they are sufficiently motivated and rookie workers a) take a fair while to get their system down so they can be out on the slopes sharpish and b) may fall into a trap of excessive alcohol consumption/partying such that they are incapable of skiing the next day and likely to return to bed between shifts.
ski holidays
Quote:

Working 2 unglamorous jobs in the UK for 6 months to save for a season sounds like it needs a bit more pluck and stickability (plus budget control etc) and finding own accommodation, etc etc demonstrates a but more initiative than rocking up into a nannied mainstream TO job where everything is provided/menus planned and even food procurement is done centrally.

As you say, it all depends..... some people who have done mainstream TO jobs appear to have learnt nothing from it, others learn a lot. An experienced interviewer will find out. One lass who turned up with a claim on her CV to have started her own business in a Swiss ski resort had, in fact, been living in Daddy's chalet and did a bit of pocket money baby sitting mostly for other expatriates. Hadn't even required negotiating a pay rate in basic French or German. Not impressive - and irritating that she so inflated what she'd done, to make the application look better. Nul points.

If somebody had spent a season as a ski bum that could indeed provide good evidence of drive and resilience. A lot would depend on how it was financed AND what, other than skiing, they did whilst there.
snow conditions
'If somebody had spent a season as a ski bum that could indeed provide good evidence of drive and resilience. A lot would depend on how it was financed AND what, other than skiing, they did whilst there.'

Well, the season my son spent as a ski bum wasn't intended to be as such. His plan had been to make short videos of holiday makers skiing, or take photos for them, and make money that way. He had put a lot of thought and work into it - website, what products to market, leaflets, printed DVD's, slogging round lots of the chalet operators in resort to sell himself at the start of the season, etc. However, as it was all below the radar and in France, he couldn't market it effectively, and he got very little business at all. He got some work doing promotional photography for a couple of chalet operators, and in the end decided to give up on it and got himself the cleaning and transfer jobs instead.
So his plan didn't work, but he freely admits that he learnt an enormous amount by trying, and had a really good winter at the same time.
snow report
Quote:

There is no getting over the fact that the true ski bum gets vastly more skiing than a worker if they are sufficiently motivated and rookie workers a) take a fair while to get their system down so they can be out on the slopes sharpish and b) may fall into a trap of excessive alcohol consumption/partying such that they are incapable of skiing the next day and likely to return to bed between shifts.

Yeah - that's true but in practice I can tell you that as a chalet host other than changeover days I missed one half day when I could have skied in the entire season. And I got so ski fit that I could do more skiing in 4 hours (e.g., singles line on a fast four man) than most holiday skiers could manage in a day. I think it would be easy as a skibum to be less focused. Now I was keener than most - my girlfriend that season became a little offended that I was able to decline some really quite persuasive inducements to stay in bed on my day off Embarassed It's all about priorities isn't it?
Very Happy
snow conditions
As somebody who interviews for trainee solicitor positions, I think I would on balance assuming intelligent answers to attributes again end while working as a chalet host assisted with organisation planning, communication skills etc could take positives whereas someone who had bummed in a ski resort wouldn't be able to show me evidence of discipline and other skills needed in the workplace. That said we would be look for someone with good communication skills, someone who could apply law practically to help people so it wouldn't be the be all and end all. That said the chalet host is more likely to be have experiences to fall back on when answering competency based questions.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think I would on balance assuming intelligent answers to attributes again end while working as a chalet host assisted with organisation planning, communication skills etc could take positives

and, of course, the all-important communication skills, Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy