Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis not flat, am I stupid?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of skis that are out of warranty but only have about 10 days on them. They are in generally good nick. The only work done on them has been a couple of coats of wax - probably four waxing sessions in total. Unfortunately they are convex at the tip and tail of the ski and, unusually the topsheet is concave in the same places. The convexity is noticeable on piste as the ski has got a shed load of base bevel at the forward contact point. You can imagine what that feels like.

Two possibilities:

1) they came from the manufacturer like that and, given that they are out of warranty I should STFU, grind them flat and stop whinging.
2) I got over enthusiastic with the iron and somehow warped the ski. There is, though, no sign of base burn or ptex bubbling on the base. I use a travel iron but don't let the wax smoke.

I think it is probably #1 and I need to stop whining. If it is #2 then I need to dial it back with the iron. Views?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gorilla, What brand are the skis? Are they Scott? They have several skis in their line up where there's a "spooned out" area on the base at tip and tail. The argument behind them is based on the way in which concave areas interact with a moving substance, usually water, but in this case, snow. It's used in surfboards and boats, and is an attempt to increase lift and speed. Look up "Venturi effect" on google.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chamcham, not Scott. They are definitely supposed to be flat. Either they came not flat or I have found some way of screwing them up. I'm keen to figure out which it is. They are out of warranty so I don't want anything from the manufacturer. I just don't want to crock another pair of skis in the future.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ugh. I can't imagine that being designed in having skied on skis with negative base edge angles anfew weeks ago (machine fault).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I doubt it would be the wax iron. More likely a manufacturing problem I would have thought.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@gorilla, Can you post some pictures?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it's both skis it sounds like manufacturing. Regardless of warranty it's something you'd hope responsible companies would want to put right.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gorilla, Could they have been stored somewhere hot, ie an attic or something??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, no.

@Dave of the Marmottes, could be. This is emphatically not a "can gorilla please have some free stuff?" thread. It is a "has gorilla screwed up?" thread. I would only really push the issue if I was certain I hadn't done something stupid and, frankly, that's always a possibility. This can probably be sorted out with a grind.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gorilla, can you get them to spyderjon to take a look at them? Or even "ask nicely" to the manufacturer and see what they say?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gorilla, a responsible manufacturer would want to know. They can swap them out at minimal cost to them and maybe get a bit of kudos. Is unlikely that you could have done the damage.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
@gorilla, a responsible manufacturer would want to know. They can swap them out at minimal cost to them and maybe get a bit of kudos. Is unlikely that you could have done the damage.

Paticularly if the 'damage' is the identical on both skis. The likely hood of repeating accidental damage on both skis is unlikely, both ends on both skis even more unlikely.

"To damage one ski may be regarded as a misfortune; to damage both looks like carelessness."
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gorilla, I'd be inclined to ask the manufacturer to look at them. Surely they would be best placed to know? You don't have to be after free stuff to get the advice
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy