Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie Yank in the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Perty wrote:
France seems to favour descending markers that make it easy to tell how far to the end of the run but I prefer the Austrian run-number system.

What is the Austrian system?

The descending markers were helpful when skiing a run you have never skied before (which was most of my runs at EK). You see the first marker and immediately get a sense of the length of the run. It was also nice in whiteouts to know when you were close to the end - time to slow down as it is likely there are more people ahead. It was also real nice during my attempt to set a personal best for vertical feet skied without stopping.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
I've found that saying "bonjour" means they will hold the chair and just let it go at the right moment to scoop you up with minimum pain. But if they slowed the chair for everybody the queue would get a lot longer. They do slow them for people who look particularly doddery.

Another thing about the fixed grip chairs - most of the time the lift attendant stayed in the shack. This never happens in the US - they always help you load.
When they were outside I always said "bonjour", they didn't hold the chair.
A couple of the lifts had signs that said something like "Warning - chairlift moves at high speed during loading" so I just assumed I would not get assistance.
Maybe I need to be more doddery? (had to Google that one)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perty wrote:
One thing you haven't mentioned, but I notice more than anything re US vs Europe, is how you Yanks like to chat on the chairlift with your fellow traveller. Even allowing for there being no language barrier, that is far more infrequent over this side of the pond!

I was aware of this ahead of time so I was quiet (I try my best not to be a "typical American"). I did ride single often, but when there were other people on the lift no one said a thing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PERTY-One thing you haven't mentioned, but I notice more than anything re US vs Europe, is how you Yanks like to chat on the chairlift with your fellow traveller. Even allowing for there being no language barrier, that is far more infrequent over this side of the pond! (we really are miserable so and so's sometimes). However, I am always up for a chat with an American who has taken the trouble to come this far so we can share our experiences.

I'm English and will always chat to anybody. Not fussy. Great to talk to strangers. So not afraid of traveling up on a lift with others, unlike those who phaff about!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Things are slipping in the US too...

I've gotten hit many times skiing in the US. The liftie were multi-tasking doing something else (shoveling snow onto the loading area, for example). So I would get hit the first time using that chair. But when I come back down to lap the same chair, I know what to expect.

Once I expect the chair to come at me fast, I would put my hand out behind me to slow it down just a bit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="abc"]
Quote:

pam w wrote:
@blueroom, on those fixed chairs which come round and sock you in the back of the leg the key skill is to stand further forward than the others getting on at the same time.

That technique doesn't work if there's no lift queue and no one else standing next to you!

If no-one there to take the impact for you, I just get a hand behind me to cushion it before it wacks into the back of the legs. Maybe only works on really slow chairs

Odd that many resorts don't have the singles, doubles triple etc. queues. They have these in NZ (where the queues arent too bad to begin with) and they work well. Helped by the liftie in charge of the queue who calls out who should come forward so keeps it moving and fair to all parts of the queue, perhaps the pick axe handle they waive at you helps too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All this talk of breakfast is making me hungry!

I must admit I was in dire need of a coffee and something to eat a couple of weeks ago at 7:30am in Val Thorens.
I was pretty dissapointed .. the best I could do was a coffee and a very sorry stale waffle Sad

I think that Val Thorens just does not wake up early in the morning.

But I will let them off as the French have the best bread on the planet.

Bread is something that just does not happen in the US as far as I can tell.
I think someone could make a lot of dough if they opened a boulangerie in a US city.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blueroom wrote:
Perty wrote:
France seems to favour descending markers that make it easy to tell how far to the end of the run but I prefer the Austrian run-number system.

What is the Austrian system?

The descending markers were helpful when skiing a run you have never skied before (which was most of my runs at EK). You see the first marker and immediately get a sense of the length of the run. It was also nice in whiteouts to know when you were close to the end - time to slow down as it is likely there are more people ahead. It was also real nice during my attempt to set a personal best for vertical feet skied without stopping.

In Austria pistes generally don't have names on the piste markers (even if the run does have a name, for example The Streif), they just have a number. The number on the piste marker doesn't change for the whole run as it denotes the actual piste you are on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrLawn wrote:
I think someone could make a lot of dough if they opened a boulangerie in a US city.

Very funny

Andy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
a half baked joke
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want to ski powder (or at least untracked snow) long after the last snowfall - ski with a guide or find a local to ski with (and go to a resort less known for its off piste). There is usually stuff around if you know where to go, and you'll ski places far from any piste. Especially if you are prepared to walk for half an hour or an hour you will often make the first tracks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A few points.

We were skiing in Soelden a couple of years ago and noticed that the piste names were not on the piste markers. Personally I remember names easier than numbers, but the real difficulty came when my nephew had an accident. It was in thickish fog and we didn’t really know how far down the piste we were (or really what piste we were on. The rescue people had to cruise down the whole piste before they found us. In France it would have been easy to report our position as on the OK piste below gate 8.
Regarding chair lifts – in Les Arcs where I usually ski the lift attendant slows the chair down about 70% of the time. The rest of the time I just reach behind and decelerate the chair myself. It got a bit embarrassing earlier this year when I damaged my shoulder and was skiing with one arm in a sling in my jacket. Some lift attendants would even slow the lift down to let me get on!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@blueroom, I returned yesterday from a fantastic late season week in EK. A few observations on your entertaining post:

EK - a great choice for first trip. Where did you stay?

Breakfast - the French much more into lunch than breakfast. For a bargain and filling start to the day, stay in a British run chalet. Make sure you order porridge, helps keep your weight forward.

The on/off piste thing - Europeans go well off-piste, especially in EK and fresh powder we had recently.

Lifts. EK has best lift system in Europe IMO. Don't expect the same everywhere. Surface lifts good in windy conditions, when others closed. Also keep physiotherapists in lucrative business. Side by side drag lifts means you can race other person to top, more fun. Not sure about these covered magic carpets. Slow, keep stopping, hot inside, tricky to get off.

French lifties slowing lift down? Maybe for kids. You'll be expecting them to hand tissues out next!

Trail markers. Yes, I found these very handy one day last week. Both the countdown numbers and the orange/red tipped ones being on right hand side. Helped us avoid accidental excursion into 2m snow drift below Aiguille Percee.

Lift ticket prices. EK is towards top end of European prices but good value I think. Maybe you got late season discount? I guess the litigation threat raises prices in USA.

Rental car. Some companies are sneaky and you have to be assertive. Worth studying fine print and booking ahead, online. Gas prices - welcome to our world! Tolls - usually worth the cost v time saved IMO. On some routes to French Alps, some free National Roads can be used for part of journey at least. Don't assume buses always cheaper.

Ask SnowHeads for advice with future car rental perhaps? I paid £120 for a small hatchback (Ford Fiesta) for 6 days, unlimited mileage, last week. Or ask snowHeads on any aspect of your trip!

What about the vertical drop? For example, top of Grande Motte down to Val Claret on one long run? Glad you enjoyed your first European trip. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
intermediate wrote:

Lift ticket prices. EK is towards top end of European prices but good value I think. Maybe you got late season discount? I guess the litigation threat raises prices in USA.

Nah - what the market will bear and huge price discrimination against walk-ups drives ticket prices in the US. Fewer "deals" to be had in Europe without group leverage so many more people paying around the median price I suspect.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
intermediate wrote:
Where did you stay?
Maybe you got late season discount?

I stayed at a small studio apartment over by the beginners area - just a couple minute walk to the slopes. 7 nights lodging was €450, 6 day ski pass was €138.
Quote:
top of Grande Motte down to Val Claret on one long run?

Yep, that's the one. Ski Tracks said 4391 vertical feet.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Once I expect the chair to come at me fast, I would put my hand out behind me to slow it down just a bit.

A couple of people have said that. I'd rather bash the back of my legs than risk hurting my wrist but neither is necessary if you bend ze knees to the correct extent so that you sit neatly on the chair as it arrives behind you, before it whacks your legs.
snow report
Preferred options for fixed-chair loading:

1/ Let an adult stranger who doesn't realise what you're doing take the hit Toofy Grin
2/ When loading alone, quick skating step or two to match bum speed to chair speed (do not face plant off the front) Cool
3/ When loading with people you like (family, any kids) reach back and slow the chair by hand Blush
4/ Trying to shuffle forward more than a stranger who does know what you're doing. This can end in tears/violence Skullie
ski holidays
intermediate wrote:

Lifts. EK has best lift system in Europe IMO.
Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, I agree Shocked fairly shocking

Austria has by far the best lift systems in Europe by some distance, especially with the year on year investments the lift companies make. I could be wrong but I think it's generally accepted this is correct.
ski holidays
Quote:

Austria has by far the best lift systems in Europe by some distance

I am not convinced you can make that generalisation.
latest report
@under a new name, hence, the slight caveat. I know its a huge generalisation, my apologies.
From my own experience of skiing in 5 European countries plus Canada I have found Austrian resorts to have on average more high speed, modern, well positioned lifts and less slow, old and poorly positioned lifts than other countries.

I have read alot of others opinions and seemingly this feeling is mirrored. I am not excluding that there may be some bad lift resorts in Austria and some resorts outside of Austria that are better than many Austrian resorts. Unless we have an indisputable league table or an accurate way of measuring variable its difficult to be completely accurate.
snow report
I would say that there are some Austrian resorts that certainly have a better lift system than EK
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Austria has by far the best lift systems in Europe by some distance

I am not convinced you can make that generalisation.

The 3 Vs has the best lift system in the world.

Hundreds of trails and ski-in-out all interlinked seamlessly with minimal lines or poling.
snow report
Quote:

accurate way of measuring variable its difficult to be completely accurate.

That's certainly true. I must confess that I've never skied in Austria (you might think that in 1,300 skis days I would have) so I can't comment on that directly but your assertion seems a little surprising given the overall economics. France certainly seems to lead in terms of overall mostly-linked mileage (PdS, 3Vs) and I don't mind the occasional not super fast lift.
snow conditions
@under a new name, you might be very surprised then. Austrian lift companies tend to invest heavily year after year in improving their infrastructure inc lifts, so much so, in places such as Ischgl that a chair lift without heated seats and a sun visor is relatively unusual. The Ski Circus (Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Fieberbrunn) though not as many piste km's as the 3 Valleys really does have an excellent lift system and excluding nursery lifts only has a couple of t-bars left.
snow report
@AthersT, But is it just the big name areas that do so? Also, aren't the Austrians rather soft with their heated chairs?
snow conditions
@under a new name, from where I have been I would say that investment is widespread, I'm sure there are some small village hills with older lift systems too though.

No not soft maybe more civilised NehNeh Seriously though for me it's just smart business - As you have helped to highlight, for Austria to make itself a more attractive proposition and to compete in Europe and globally, investing in what you can change (snow-making, lift systems, mountain huts, public transport, road links) whilst keeping prices reasonable, is how you draw in more people and make it pay.

If it was all about how many piste KM's are on your piste map or being perceived as snow-sure then the French mega resorts and the Sella Ronda would be the only places we would need.
snow conditions
France 38 - Austria 31

(Lift construction projects planned for Summer 2016)

((France including the popular skiing island of Corsica Puzzled ))
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, source? how many ski hills/resorts are there in each country? And can you do those figures for the last 20 years?
snow report
@AthersT, http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?s=6210be3d47e5a1435297ad4f994c8b58&showforum=153

How accurate? who knows? and if the Austrians have done loads of upgrading in recent years, you'd expect a tailing off. Maybe.

2015 France 36 - Austria 20

2014 France 40 - Austria 20

2013 France 51 - Austria 22

Now, it's a French site so there may be under reporting from elsewhere...

snow conditions
@under a new name, there is a forum for everything haha!

Next season ski in Austria?
snow conditions
intermediate wrote:
For a bargain and filling start to the day, stay in a British run chalet. Make sure you order porridge, helps keep your weight forward.

Chalet sounds good, I assume they are in other countries as well as France. How do I find them?

Not sure about porridge (not even sure what is - same as oatmeal?) How about a traditional English breakfast? Some greasy fried eggs and tomatoes and some blood sausage?
ski holidays
@AthersT, Rule 43...that would be.

Skiing in Austria, while intellectually interesting (at the margin) involves, getting there, accommodation and lift passes. Whereas skiing in Chamonix involves a 50 minute drive...(discounting that I have to fork out for the season pass in the first place).
snow conditions
Quote:

I assume they are in other countries as well as France

they are mostly in France. A handful in Italy and Austria. And if you feel like a change, @under a new name, you can pop down to Champoluc?
ski holidays
blueroom wrote:
intermediate wrote:
For a bargain and filling start to the day, stay in a British run chalet. Make sure you order porridge, helps keep your weight forward.

Chalet sounds good, I assume they are in other countries as well as France. How do I find them?

Not sure about porridge (not even sure what is - same as oatmeal?) How about a traditional English breakfast? Some greasy fried eggs and tomatoes and some blood sausage?

Hm, bargain maybe. But would you prefer your food cooked by someone young who took week long cooking courses or by a french chef ... If bargain is what you are after then self catering and supermarket and occasional resto is a better option imo
latest report
@pam w, indeed.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
I don't mind the occasional not super fast lift.

Agreed. High speed detachable chairs obviously have their place, but at some resorts here in Colorado they are frequently installed as replacements for fixed grip chairs without consideration of the available terrain. Faster lifts on the same terrain means crowded runs.

IMHO, our big resorts have too many high speed chairs. Then again, I am getting old and the slower lifts give me more time to rest my legs.

Aspen Highlands had a tremendous ad campaign in the early 1990s:
https://books.google.com/books?id=29aK2vG35I4C&pg=PA18&lpg=PA18&dq=aspen+highlands+suntan&source=bl&ots=-7Zv2aFHlw&sig=F_8qmimUyGKhXcsYj2gZ5cRNTms&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGyfHyscPMAhVS5GMKHQnjC28Q6AEIRzAG#v=onepage&q=aspen%20highlands%20suntan&f=false
snow conditions
@blueroom, haha.

Also, old, remote, "crappy" lifts often serve some of the best terrain and it remains less skied snowHead
ski holidays
Breakfast? Ok, so the European breakfast can be ok, but it's hardly in the league of a proper Canadian breakfast. With fried stuff. Cooked to order, not your hotel re-warmed McCrap stuff (which is full of salt and sugar to make you obese).

I think the 3 valleys is hard to beat. Austria's fine, but there are drunks and strip clubs. The smoking's getting less, but you still have places which just stink of disgusting old tobacco, and they don't have the service levels of North America. And people mix coca-cola with Weissbier.

Off piste/ yeah, well that's true of the US too. Snowbird for example... go there as a tourist and wonder what it's all about. Go there with a local and it makes sense. I don't think there's a significant difference across continents on that.
snow report
@philwig, tourist vs skiing with the patrol?

Gotcha on that...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy