Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie Yank in the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
uktrailmonster,
We've been on chairs at minus 30 (with windchill) and would be happy to take advantage of the protective bubble. 7 or 8 minutes of sitting stationary in those conditions is more than enough to freeze the whatsits of a brass monkey!

I don't understand how "if the chairs are running it can't be that bad." Minus 30 is minus 30. Brrrrrrrrr.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HoneyBunny wrote:
Lucky you being such a hardman.

No you've got it all wrong. I hate getting cold too, but it simply doesn't happen if you dress appropriately for the conditions. I ride on chairs all the time next to people grimacing with frozen faces and wet cold bums simply because they don't know what to wear. I'm sure they would like to have heated seats and visors too, but these things become totally unnecessary if you dress appropriately for the conditions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bergmeister wrote:
uktrailmonster,
We've been on chairs at minus 30 (with windchill) and would be happy to take advantage of the protective bubble. 7 or 8 minutes of sitting stationary in those conditions is more than enough to freeze the whatsits of a brass monkey!

I don't understand how "if the chairs are running it can't be that bad." Minus 30 is minus 30. Brrrrrrrrr.

Again, it comes down more to what you are wearing. I ski in western Canada and yes it gets very cold at times. -30 is not that uncommon. But there are no heated seats or visors on any of the chairs and nobody (including me) seems to care.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
uktrailmonster wrote:
No you've got it all wrong.

No, actually, you have. Lucky old you, to have the kind of body that regulates itself well. My OH is the same. But how can you criticise other people's clothes? You have no idea what they are wearing under their jackets and salopettes. If it's very cold I have numb fingers and toes. I also have a cold bum, despite 2 pairs of merino leggings and padded gortex ski pants. OTOH, when it's hot I sometimes get overheated and have been know to faint. It's one reason I don't wear a helmet.

It's physiology. Some people's bodies work better than others. If I were a machine, I'd buy myself a new thermometer. As it is, I cope. But I can really do without ignorant people telling me how to dress myself appropriately.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Am I on mumsnet by mistake? Okay, I take it all back - heated chairs and visors are obviously essential.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@uktrailmonster, Are you often on mumsnet, by mistake or otherwise?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been known to lurk there occasionally
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@uktrailmonster, Be afraid, be very afraid...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I've been known to lurk there occasionally

Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually, I was thinking I were on mumsnet (actually, in skidiva) by mistake.

The mum-knows-best, one-size-fits-all answers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

one-size-fits-all answers

you're right, @abc. I'm always surprised when people asking about clothing for skiing are told "you'll be fine in a base layer, mid layer fleece and a shell jacket". I wouldn't be. I routinely wear a merino base, a decent fleece layer and a padded jacket. When it's cold I'll add a down gilet. At least. Some people "run hot" and some people "run cold". But I wouldn't choose a ski area on the basis of heated lifts and perspex covers. Scenery, atmosphere and a variety of piste skiing are far more important to me. And I do feel skiing is a horribly environmentally damaging sport without heating the lift seats!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
But I wouldn't choose a ski area on the basis of heated lifts and perspex covers. Scenery, atmosphere and a variety of piste skiing are far more important to me.

While I choose ski area largely based on terrain of my preference, there're other factors that comes into play from time to time.

On a day when it's snowing or raining, the availability of seat cover becomes important. As are heated seats on a very cold day.

Quote:
And I do feel skiing is a horribly environmentally damaging sport without heating the lift seats!

Compare to snowmaking and grooming, the energy required to heat seats are tiny.

I don't know about the ones in Europe. But the one I saw at Banff was pressure sensitive. You have to sit on the right spot for the heater to turn on. So the empty chairs are not heated.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
I wouldn't choose a ski area on the basis of heated lifts and perspex covers.

No, me neither. (Could one? Do resorts publicise the stats?)

But it's a lovely surprise to sit down and get a nice warm bum on a cold day! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Me neither (who on earth would?), they're just a welcome bonus at times. Least I agree with you @maggi Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If heated seats and pulldown wind shields make me a minge... I'm proud to be a minge. Bring it on I say.
snow conditions
Stop the Brutal Grooming.

Stop this madness

Hike to earn your turns!
ski holidays
@blueroom,
Hope you can pick the bones out of these diverse posts Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

But it's a lovely surprise to sit down and get a nice warm bum on a cold day!

Or you have wet yourself!
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
you spend much more time on the lifts than on the actual slope

I was curious about this so I analyzed several ski days that were captured with Ski Tracks. Days riding mostly high speed lifts had pretty much equal time on lifts and slopes. Days with a mix of high and low speed lifts were around 20% more time on lifts. I don't think I ski slow - vertical feet per hour were about 5000 and 4000 respectively.

Or maybe uktrailmonster skis really fast!

Anyone else have any numbers?
snow report
I did "the numbers" on indoor slope skiing years ago when they first started, and earlier I'd checked them for dry slopes. Indoor lifts are incredibly slow, and the descents are very small. I vaguely recall that the limiting factor in the amount of vertical is the speed of the lift, and as no one needs to take a rest (!) on those slopes then the uplift time vastly exceeded the descent time. For completeness, the per-vertical-meter cost exceeds helicopter uplift by some considerable margin too (but you don't get much vertical). It's an expensive thing to do.

--
On what people wear.. it's the internet, so people like to argue. If you ride somewhere like Whistler long enough then you're going to get wet unless you're using Gore-Tex stuff. It's not mandatory but many people find it pleasant.
snow report
blueroom wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
you spend much more time on the lifts than on the actual slope

I was curious about this so I analyzed several ski days that were captured with Ski Tracks. Days riding mostly high speed lifts had pretty much equal time on lifts and slopes. Days with a mix of high and low speed lifts were around 20% more time on lifts. I don't think I ski slow - vertical feet per hour were about 5000 and 4000 respectively.

Or maybe uktrailmonster skis really fast!

Anyone else have any numbers?

I'll check my ski tracks later. What I do know off the top of my head is that most of the chairs I ride take about 10 mins uplift and I can ski back to the bottom of them in less than 5 mins if I press on, although it depends on the route I take, how often I stop and who I'm skiing with. But I'm pretty sure it's going to be considerably more uplift time for me. In fairness I'm much faster than the average, but I do stop occasionally too.
snow report
@blueroom, Biggest shock I had when skiing in the US for the first time was how friendly and helpful the ski lift folks were! So different to the moody and sulking French. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy