Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cleaning Ski Clothing

Poster: A snowHead
As we sadly pack our ski gear away, some of us may decide the Spag-Bog stains really do have to go after all, and proceed to stuff our beloved jacket and trousers in the washing machine. Yes? Well don’t! Stop! And hopefully you won’t make the same mistakes as me.
And believe me, I’ve made them all.
There was a thread on this subject over on SCUK (copyright Tony Lane), but the link to www.singletrackworld.com on Washing Goretex – the truth has disappeared.
So what are the daft mistakes?
1. Use detergent – don’t! Use Soap Flakes or Liquid Soap
2. Use water softener – don’t! It ruins the gortex somehow
3. Just hang to dry – don’t! Gortex benefits from a bit of Regulo 2: tumble dry on low.

I have found 2 useful sites: paddles.com and getlostmagazine.com .
I have not found any assessment of the various re-proofing products.
Any other ideas or advice would be welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always stick it on the fire at the annual "bin bbq" - kind of like a cleansing ceremony!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've stopped using Goretex since it's so hopeless for washing. We just chuck things in the washing machine on a gentle setting and spray some waterpoof stuff on.

I can live without breathable fabrics really.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Ski Bunny got new Gore-tex salopettes this year & for once I actually read the label!! It said washing in pure soap & a warm tumble dry were perfect for Gore-tex & they seem to be fine.
My salopettes have had 2 washes & are still filthy - serves me right for getting white ones.......... Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim wrote:
As we sadly pack our ski gear away, some of us may decide the Spag-Bog stains really do have to go after all, and proceed to stuff our beloved jacket and trousers in the washing machine. Yes? Well don’t! Stop! And hopefully you won’t make the same mistakes as me.
And believe me, I’ve made them all.
There was a thread on this subject over on SCUK (copyright Tony Lane), but the link to www.singletrackworld.com on Washing Goretex – the truth has disappeared.
So what are the daft mistakes?
1. Use detergent – don’t! Use Soap Flakes or Liquid Soap
2. Use water softener – don’t! It ruins the gortex somehow
3. Just hang to dry – don’t! Gortex benefits from a bit of Regulo 2: tumble dry on low.

I have found 2 useful sites: paddles.com and getlostmagazine.com .
I have not found any assessment of the various re-proofing products.
Any other ideas or advice would be welcome.

Clean your washing machine out first - run it through a maintenance cycle - to make sure there's no washing powder left in it.

You can use soap flakes, but you can also use Nikwax or Grangers. Both work (though slightly differently on different materials). I use Nikwax, but there's nothing consciously rational about that over Grangers.

Other points, don't use fabric conditioner on wicking (baselayers) either. It stops them working properly. Some of those like a cool/warm tumble as well, but make sure you don't put them on hot.

If you have a down jacket that's more difficult, use a spray-on cleaner (Grangers is apparently good - not use it meself).

Nikwax has some stuff that is apparently good for fleeces (can add waterproofing, too). Not heard of any feedback on this, but if it works like their other stuff should be okay.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used Nikwax LoftTech or some similar name which is just pure soap, and that works fine. I've also used their re-proofing product TechWash (?) and that doesn't do any harm, though to be honest I'd can't tell if it's increased the breathability either. I tumble dry my jacket, as per the garment's instructions, but I don't tumble dry my trousers, as per the garment's instructions. Simple really Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The re-proofing has no direct effect on breathability if the garment's dry. But, if water didn't bead on it before (but wetted the material out) it should bead again afterwards. This affects breathability, but there's no need if it's still beading.

I have known it to take a second go sometimes, but it's not much bother.

[Edited to correct my badly worded sentence that implied the opposite of what I was thinking. It's still badly worded but more accurate, now]

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 22-04-04 16:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Has the link bee removed from the scuk site? or from STW? STW re-organized the forum when they went to a registered forum. The thread can be found here

Washing Goretex ? the truth

I did provide the link in the first place
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's another:

outdoorsmagic.com

The last entry is from the ditor of the site who tests the stuff and knows what he's on about.

(Note, Grangers do sponsor part of this site)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most outdoor pursuits sell appropriate stuff. Normally it's in 2 bottles, i for washing and 1 for waterproofing etc. Usually it needs to be done on 2 cycles and you'll have enough in a bottle to do a jacket and trousers (you may be able to push this out to 2 trousers and a jacket?).

As already said, don't use normal washing powders and fabric softeners!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks nbtand skanky. Just what I wanted.
How did you find that singletrakworld article nbt? I searched on the site for Goretex and Gortex and got nothing useful. What did I do wrong?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you didn't search the archive forum. I'ma regular on there so I know where it is

I aslo know the editor of outdoorsmagic. He's the "badlywireddog" posting on the STW discussion
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blimey. Small world. Well, web. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dan, it's not just detergents and fabric softeners you need to avoid, but Water Softeners as well.
Round here the water is very hard and we usually add Calgon or similar to the wash to reduce detergent required and protect the heating element. I have here a packet of Dri-Pak Soap Flakes. Dri-Pak also make a range of Aqua Softna products. But on the side of the Soap Flake packet it states: "We do not advise using water softener for washing waterproof garments since artificially softened water may adversely affect the fabric".
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We dont need to worry up here- kitchen tap is ok, but our bath water is a weird yellow/ green mmm lovely

I like to think its because the water filters through the highlands, more than likely though its because its out of the cess pit that is The River Clyde! Sad
snow conditions
you can get too worked up about this. many years ago, Bergaus sponsored Alan Hinkes worked on a help desk and i was anal enough to write to him to find out what i should and should not do when washing goretex. If anyone knows, that man should know.

Bottom line was, use bog standard detergent but don't use fabric softener (it reduced the wicking effect) and tumble dry on low to rejuvinate the surface water repelancy.

If you're that worried, use Nikwax washing stuff instead of ordinary detergent.

Don't use Nikwax TX10 if you have old style 3 layer goretex because the inside layer is meant to wick the water away, whereas the TX10 makes every layer water repelant.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
We dont need to worry up here- kitchen tap is ok, but our bath water is a weird yellow/ green mmm lovely

I like to think its because the water filters through the highlands, more than likely though its because its out of the cess pit that is The River Clyde! Sad

Tsk, Sassenachs slagging off Scottish water. Smile

Glasgow's water comes from Loch Katrine. The council own all the land around it as well and don't allow the people who work the land to use any nasty chemicals which would pollute the ground water and run into the loch.

If you are getting yellow/green water it won't be the stuff from Loch Katrine that is causing it. More likely whoever installed the plumbing is responsible. If too much flux is used when the plumbing is installed it can discolour the water for ages afterwards.
ski holidays
Our water's fine. Don't know whether it comes from Loch Katrine or nearby Loch Thom (which is also a reservoir, but less well protected than Loch Katrine). Incidentally Nade, Loch Katrine is quite nice for a walk. It's up near Callander (sp?)

Best water we ever had was up at Aviemore - straight out of the bathroom tap and it really did taste like mineral water. Fantastic.
snow report
Tony Lane, how do I know which sort of Goretex I have?
snow conditions
2 layer goretex has a loose lining, often mesh (in which case you can see the white plasticy Goretex layer that is bonded to the outer fabric). these generally do not have wicking fabrics on the inside.

old style 3 layer goretex jackets will have no loose lining. they have a slightly textured inner surface (the fabric is 3 ply: outer fabric/goretex membrane/lining all bonded together). this lining fabric is meant to move your sweat away from you and to the goretex. if you treat the whole jacket with TX10, the sweat will bead up on the inside. which is nice.

to be honest, if you've bought your jacket in the last 4-5 years it is unlikely to have that 3 layer construction and these days there are so many different types of fabric used that i wouldn't presume to know which ones have wicking liners and which don't. Goretex XCR has no loose lining (although some jackets have them for aesthetic reasons) but i'm not sure whether the inner surface wicks or not.

take your jacket to a good outdoor shop if you're not sure and make sure that you speak to someone who knows what they are talking about or contact the manufacturer.
snow report
High-end mountaineering/climbing jackets often have 3 ply goretex, apparently. Don't own any (never seen one) so don't know for sure.
ski holidays
skanky wrote:
High-end mountaineering/climbing jackets often have 3 ply goretex, apparently. Don't own any (never seen one) so don't know for sure.

I've had some North Face 3-ply, great when new but the lifetime is way too short. I think it lasted me barely two seasons. I've a Billabong board jacket I've been wearing since 1999 which is way better and dramatically cheaper.
snow report
Nadenoodlee, I dont suppose you have a green-yellow coloured bath do you?

(Sorry couldnt resist).
snow conditions
Don't suppose anyone has any suggestions for getting blood out of waterproof jackets? On holiday last month, my nose exploded on a chairlift all over my brand new jacket.....very embarrassing!!

I take it this was a result of the high altitiude? Anyway, tried washing the jacket with just soap flakes, but it's still covered in bloody marks!! Any ideas?
snow report
saliva is supposed to work wonders, but it might be a bit late for that
snow conditions
I reckon so, Tony, however I do have an urge to spit on it everytime I look at it!!
snow conditions
Snowone wrote:
Don't suppose anyone has any suggestions for getting blood out of waterproof jackets? On holiday last month, my nose exploded on a chairlift all over my brand new jacket.....very embarrassing!!

I take it this was a result of the high altitiude? Anyway, tried washing the jacket with just soap flakes, but it's still covered in bloody marks!! Any ideas?

I'll ask Mrs Ises brother (note to self, I'm supposes to ring him later anyway) he seem to get blood on the jacket one way or another.
ski holidays
Snowone, I think you may have to deal with this in a different way. Think add not subtract.
The blood stain is now unlikely to come out. So incorporate it into your trendy "Art-House" ski jacket - definitely next season's New Look. Here is a design to consider, from a painting called Ski Jacket and nominated for the Turner Prize in 1994.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe I could just go for the Tracey Emin unwashed look? Wink
latest report
Jonpim, is that some of that there 'conceptual bullsh*t' I should be watching out for?

Anyone else not a mite suspicious about Snowone's 'nosebleed' story...we don't want to be charged as accessories after the crime... Wink
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, not at all: this is Peter Doig this is, whose work is described on Tate.org.uk as "known for balancing its purely visual, decorative and abstract qualities with narrative or representational content. His main subject has been the traditional theme of mankind in nature". So now you know.
This was Antony Gormley's entry that year. Shocked
snow report
Now that is something I can relate to.. Very Happy
snow conditions
Lager, Nope its not the plumbing- brand new flat, and last year it was the same colour in the old place! Just general Glasgow nastiness!
ski holidays
I must admit a bit of a fondness for Antony Gormley's work...
latest report
me too - is it something to be ashamed of?
ski holidays
Would a saturated salt solution get some of the blood out? It might need reproofing afterwards - you can test it in the shower.

Otherwise maybe only thing to do is come up with a decent story.
snow conditions
Snowone wrote:

The blood marks wont go away by just washing you use liquid detergent i think it would help you
snow conditions
fashion-clothing, Snowone has probably got a new jacket since the original post!! 5 and a half years is a while to keep a jacket. Laughing

Welcome to snowHead
latest report
Avago, mehtinks soneon might be building upa post count before inserting links to sites whic hhappen to sell things...
latest report
I have had my jacket 11years now Embarassed but it is still waterproof. Might treat myself this year depending on the outcome of todays wash. It has had its annual dunk in the washing machine with nikwax tech waterproofing type wash. Never failed yet.
Re the blood, my jacket is red so not a problem Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy