Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Skimo traverse of the Haute Maurienne

Poster: A snowHead
I thought I’d share this T.R. of a superb ski-mountaineering week, completing the traverse of the Haute Maurienne via the Refuge du Carro, Refuge des Evettes and the Refuge d'Averole.
What a hidden gem of an area this is, just a few km. over the Col de l'Iseran from Val d'Isére.

This was an Eagles ski club tour, led by mountain guide and pro. photographer Andy Teasdale http://www.andyteasdaleguiding.com/ - this is one of his shots from the tour…
Ian shredding >>>

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-04-16 1:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Day 1 started from the car park in Bonneval sur Arc (1,820) in light drizzle for the skin up to the first hut: the Refuge du Carro (2,759m - just 4km due East of the top drag on the Pisailles Glacier in the Le Fornet ski sector of Val), where we were based for the first 2 nights.

This (as with the other 2 huts on the traverse) was a great place with superb food: think 5 course supper followed by complimentary limonata/genepi served up by a real character of a guardian!
Day 2 dawned clear and cold with a light dusting of fresh snow for our first objective which was the Levanna Occidental (3,593), via the Col des Pariotes.

The last scrambling section to the summit cross was made on crampons...

…before a superb descent on the previous day’s fresh snow

The ski down was so good that we skinned up to a second col for more of the same... this actually turned out to be not such a good idea as the cloud rolled in, making nav. back to the hut a slight issue.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Day 3 was an early Alpine start for the traverse to the Refuge des Evettes (2,590) via the Col des Pariotes (3,034),

Col de Trièves (3,070)

and Col du Grand Méan(3,214m):

a big day skinning in high Alpine glaciated terrain.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for sharing. Excellent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No rest for the wicked with a 4am. alarm call on Day 4

for the highlight of the trip: the traverse to the Refuge d'Averole (2,210) via L'Albaron (3,637)

with about 3/4km scramble along a precipitous knife-edge ridge from the Selle d'Albaron (3,474) to the summit. (no photographs here, as I was too gripped to dare to look through the viewfinder!)

A roped “lower” by our guide Andy,

to the Glacier du Grand Fond was followed by a superb 1,500m ski descent to the Averole on virtually every type of snow condition you could ever meet.
Much beer and galettes were consumed that afternoon, followed by a deep sleep then another superb 5 course meal.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 27-04-16 22:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Day 5 started with a 5:30 breakfast then a skin back up yesterday's route on tricky frozen crust, which at one point steepened too much to skin and required us to resort to booting up to some more mellow terrain.

The Pointe des Audras (3,244) was achieved on crampons,

followed by another superb descent on spring snow and more beer and galettes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fantastic. When did you go?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yet another 5am breakfast for the final day's objective, the Ouille d'Arbéron (3,554)

about 1,500m of ascent with the cloud filling the valley below and another scramble to the summit on crampons.

This was followed by a descent initially on sublime fresh powder which eventually turned to some of the most unpleasant wet sugar you can imagine, so great care was required to get down with legs/knees intact.
A quick bowl of soup at the Albaron, then grabbed the rest of our kit and skid out of the valley on rapidly diminishing snow,

and hiked the final bit down to a car park at 1,800m for a lift back to Bessans.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chamcham asked,
Quote:

Fantastic. When did you go?

This was all last week (16-23 April) - just got back yesterday... it's still winter in them there hills snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This was the view of a dusting of fresh snow at Bessans (1750m) on Sunday when I left,

with snow flurries all the way down to Modane at 1,000m and more wintry weather forecast this week.

AFAIK: The lifts are still spinning at Bonneval sur Arc until next weekend.
http://en.haute-maurienne-vanoise.com/webcams/bonneval-sur-arc
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fabulous, thanks for posting.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@geoffers, Unfortunately, I've packed away my ski kit (and credit card) until next winter. Great posts, thanks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good work!

I'm very jealous as this is near the top of my hit list.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks fantastic - thanks for posting
snow report
The complete set of my (low resolution) photos should be visible here, if you want more.... Cool
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kcxatlnitg8v6l5/AACBUGnE6jg2Oz3oWY9q9TYta?dl=0
ski holidays
What a lot of gorgeous places there are to go, out there. For those with the legs...... snowHead
snow report
Thanks geoffers - great stuff. Must add to our ski touring 'to do' list Smile.
snow conditions
Lovely photos - looks like a great trip (even with the 4am start)!

Can I just ask - why is this a "skimo" rather than "ski touring" trip? What differentiates the two? Is it different kit?
ski holidays
@miranda, skimo - too lazy to type ski mountaineering - this was a little bit more than just touring, as it was properish mountaineering with ropes, axes, spikey-feet, bloody early Alpine starts etc snowHead
ski holidays
@geoffers, ah, thanks for that - I think in my head skimo was racing or something like that.

The alpine start photo (if that's the 4am one) is my favourite Very Happy
latest report
@miranda, You're correct in that skimo racing is ski-mountaineering racing, and I guess people relate the the word just with the race element
ski holidays
Looks amazing, thanks for posting
snow report
@geoffers,

He he, I recognise a face in those photos from my recent trip to the Vanoise.

How did young M get on with the early starts?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy