Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice re Obergurgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I would be very appreciative of some advice. Our family is going on our first skiing holiday to Obergurgl in the first week in April. None of us have skied on snow before but have had about a years lessons on the dry slope at Bellahouston in Glasgow. We have two children 10 and nearly 9. We are all just about parallel on the dry slope and attempting to carve as much as possible. My concern is that the ski school in Obergurgl is for four hours a day 2 hours in the morning and two hours after lunch. I am not sure if we would be in the same class as the kids and am reluctant to be away from the children for all that time. Would a private instructor for the four of us be a viable alternative? The kids are more confident than I am and I am probably a bit more confident than my wife.

Thanks for any advice. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ianmacd,

Ski schools normally separate adults and children, so no it is very ulikely that if you go to group lessons you will be in the same group.

If you are all of a similar standard then you would probably be fine with a private instructor, although the more confident amongst you would probably progress more quickly if you were with other people of a similar attitude.

I guess it really depends what you're looking for from your holiday - an enjoyable week spent with your family, or to improve your skiing as much as you can in a week.

I wouldn't worry about leaving the children alone at ski school - they'de be with other children of a similar age and probably have a whale of a time - just like school but without the lessons!

P.S. Welcome to Snowheads!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd shell out for a private ski instructor. If he/she is good then you'll all improve and if he/she isn't then you'll all still improve and you'll have someone to talk about at dinner. The important point is you will be in control to dictate thre pace of the lessons
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have decided to do a 2 or 3 hour private lesson on the first day (if not fully booked) to find our feet and then will probably do ski school for 3 days. I hope that this was a good decision. Thanks to those who replied.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ianmacd, You can book private lessons online at Obergurgl. I did it a couple of years ago and it worked well. Just find the ski school website a week or so before you go.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.skischule-obergurgl.com/en/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks I am waiting to hear from them if this is alright.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ianmacd,

Be prepared to to go backwards in your learning curve when you first touch snow..... its so slippery... but don't worry too much as a few hours should help regain the ground.
You'll like Obergurgl
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all. We have booked a private lesson on the first day and will then do probably 3 days ski school. I can't wait. As regards snow I'm hoping that I am at an afvantage over the rest of the family having had a lesson and about 3 days skiing in Keystone 15 or 16 years ago. I cannot wait. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy