Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier or Montgenevre

jerv2606
jerv2606
Hi All.

After much deliberation we have narrowed down our search for next years ski holiday to Serre Chevalier or Montgenevre. My wife is a school teacher so unfortunately we'll be going during February half term.
We are both fairly new to skiing and are comfortable on Greens and easier Blues.

We like the look of these two resorts as they are priced fairly reasonably (compared to some resorts), the flights are to Turin- so hopefully the airport and transfer won't be manic and most importantly the skiing seems to fit our level perfectly.

Are the two resorts a good choice, particularly at February half term? If so, we are really struggling to pick one over the other. What are the pros and cons of each resort and where would be the best bet?

Thanks

Jerv
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are both a good choice, although I'm biased a little bit towards Serre Chevalier as I have an apartment there, I do like a day trip up to Montgenevre from time to time though. Some gentle greens and blues in both places. If you're looking for lessons, I can recommend New Generation Serre Chevalier, which is run by BASI trainer Gavin Crosby and works out of Le Monetier-les-Bains.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I much prefer Serre Chevalier but for relatively newcomers Montgenevre might be fine. The off piste possibilities at SC are awesome.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have always picked Montgenevre over Serre Chevalier as it has more high end self catering accommodation. There are also a few newish hotels there.

The skiing in Montgenevre would suit you very well. There is a gentle green to get started on followed by easy blue cruising. I like the fact that it is linked to Claviere and one can ski in two countries (although you would need to ski a red to get back over to Montgenevre). We have stayed in Le Hameau des Airelles booked on an accommodation only basis through Peak Retreats. They also offer Le Napoleon which would be even better if your budget can stretch to it.

I can't comment on the skiing in Serre Chevalier as I haven't been there.

Have you considered the Easter holidays as Montgenevre has a good late season snow record and it would be considerably cheaper. The runs would also be quieter which would help build your confidence.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I spent a day Im March skiing in Serre Chevalier. Lots of nice pistes but the uplift is pretty dated. Some very slow chairs and very long button tows. If I were you I'd be looking at one of the smaller Austrian resorts such as Nauders.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jerv2606,
I love Serre Che but for someone relatively new to skiing Montgenevre may be the better option the skiing close by is ideal. Both are close to Turin but as you have to pass through Montgenevre to get to Serre Che it is obviously closer by 15-30 minutes depending on which bit of Serre Che you are going to.
latest report
 jerv2606
jerv2606
Cheers guys. I thin we are leaning more towards Montgenevre, although my wife has now thrown Alpe d'Huez into the mix...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied in both ADH and Serre in the last 2 seasons, in terms of village atmosphere and scenery Serre wins hands down, however for novices ADH has a vast array of beginner slopes which are perfect for 2nd or 3rd week skiiers.

I stayed in Villenueve in Serre during French half term this winter and there were next to no queues on the mountain, however the uplift is much slower than at ADH.

BensBus do cheap transfers to ADH from Grenoble airport and Geneva airport, whilst you would be required to rent a car or book an expensive shuttle to Serre, which is another important consideration.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Valkyrie wrote:
I spent a day Im March skiing in Serre Chevalier. Lots of nice pistes but the uplift is pretty dated. Some very slow chairs and very long button tows.

That's quite a generalisation and isn't a particularly accurate assessment, nor likely to assist the OP hugely.

There has been significant investment in SC in their uplift and much is modern and pretty easy to avoid the draglifts should one wish. I do agree that there are still some older and slower chairs, but not enough to blanket statement the whole area.

That said, having extensively skied SC and spent a bit of time in Montgenevre on the free day included in the SC area pass, I would probably suggest Montgenevre as the most suitable place with easiest access to the slopes (generally).

I learned to ski in SC (back when the lift system was certainly a little "dated") and there are some great areas to learn and develop/improve - particularly above Montetier and Chantemerle, with the former being the easier of the two to ski back down to.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was dissappointed in montgenvre this year, but that was down to snow, however some runs were closed due to a court case pending apparently.... Which restricted the skiing..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@yorkshirelad, Which week did you go this year? I read the snow was poor in the early season but better later on. Which runs were affected by the court case? Just interested as it is on our list of possible places to go back to next year.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also consider Sauze D'Oulx where we had a great time in February. And also the small village between Serre Chevalier & Montgenevre called Claviere which I'm considering for next year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In terms of chairs in Sc, there are a couple to the high peaks in monetier that are a bit painful, b
But general overall the uplift is pretty good.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BenTisdall, I would say Montgenevre is far better than Claviere for beginners/people new to skiing. Claviere is not between Montgenevre and Serre Chevalier either!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Claviere is not between Montgenevre and Serre Chevalier either!

It most certainly isn't.
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@jerv2606 For me it's Alpe d'Huez without hesitate .
The tunnel must do what is good , very hot track.
I go almost every year if you want I have good addresses : Bar, restaurant , lodging and ski rental
snow report
Been to both resorts. Our first ski trip was to Montgenevre so have a bit of a soft spot for it. 2nd trip was to Serre Chevalier the following year. Serre was a great resort for this 2nd trip. Lots of nice runs to increase your confidence. Serre Chevalier has a lovely swimming pool, thermal spa which is well worth a visit in Monetier. In Montgenevre I think you get an extra day on your lift pass so if you travel on a Sunday and get there early enough you can get some extra skiing in. It also has a luge to have a go on which was good fun. Either way you will have a ball. If I was to go back I would lean towards Serre with the option of heading to Monty for a day.
snow conditions
given you are going at half term may be you stay in the Italian part of the Milky Way - say Sauze D'Oulx - quieter?
snow conditions
I would choose Serre Chevalier as the village is better IMHO. I have stayed at both and the skiing at both is at the right sort of level for you.

My memories of Montgenevre are of this straggle of buildings along the busy main road connection France with Italy. We were given stern warnings about always locking our rooms and the chalet and never leaving our skis outside anywhere close to the road because of the abundance of opportunistic thieves.
snow conditions
@TQA, how long is it since your last trip to Montgenevre as the main road was rerouted some years ago and there is a new part of montgenevre called hameau de l'obelisque that is accessed by a no through road that just leads to the residences.

Personally I would never leave my skis outside the apartment in any resort. I always take them to my ski locker. I would always lock the apartment door too. My memory of montgenevre is of a friendly family orientated resort.
ski holidays
Yup it was sometime back.

Last minute booking with Crystal at Easter. .

I enjoyed the skiing but not the traffic noise.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you haven't booked yet, both SC and Montgenevre are good choices. If you are relatively new to skiing I would suggest Montgenevre. An early-ish Easter is much better value than Half-Term and the slopes even quieter.
snow report
Been to Monty a few times and definitely have a soft sport for it.
It's great for beginners in that there are easy (green / gentle blues) runs from top to bottom, so beginners are able to get a real sense of moving around the mountains (rather than being dumped on the nursery slopes which can happen in some resorts).

The transfer from Turin is an hour or so and very easy, most of the accommodation is close to the piste, and generally it is pretty snow sure.

I've also heard lots of good things about SC, so between the two you really can't go far wrong.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy