Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Connecting flights, timings and such like

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of booking next year's holiday. Direct flights to Trondheim from the UK get in at late o'clock so looking at other options. One is flying from CWL to Schipol and then from Schipol to Trondheim. There's "only" 1hr 45mins between arrival of first flight and departure of second flight, with the second flight leaving from a different terminal. I have no idea whether 1h 45 mins is a sensible gap or whether it is too short (I've always used direct flights before). The following flight out of Schipol for Trondheim is about 8 hours later..... Any input gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dobby, that should be ok IME. It can take ages to get from the plan (on the bus) to the terminal at Schiphzl, but other than that it's a good airport and fairly quick to get around.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same airline booked as one journey? If so that is enough time. If the first flight is delayed they will hurry you though or hold the next flight as long as possible, and if it goes wrong they need to sort you out (another flight, hotel or whatever). If you are booking different airlines or legs yourself then transfers are a bit of a gamble because if the first flight is delayed and you miss the second flight, tough luck. Once at Schipol I landed at gate A and my next flight was leaving from gate Z in 30 minutes. Made it though.

If you are transferring, give a little thought to taking essentials in your hand luggage and spreading each of your clothes in different cases. Just in case one case gets delayed or doesn't make the transfer...

I presume you are looking at getting to Åre? Have you checked SAS via Stockholm Arlanda or BRA (formely Malmo Aviation) from Stockholm Bromma to Östersund airport?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just saw you are flying from Cardiff...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Themasterpiece, cheers. Yes, the proposed trip is all on one airline (KLM). Have not looked hard at Ostersund yet - we're trying to get flights from Cardiff or Bristol, so easier to get to Schipol than Stockholm or most other places in Scandinavia.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That should be fine, especially on the same airline. They should be able to check your baggage directly through to your final destination and may be able to issue boarding passes for both flights at the start. Changing terminals would be the only slight concern and I'm not familiar with Schipol airport so cannot comment on that. But I've done literally dozens of other connections around the world in that kind of timescale. Worst case scenario is you miss the connection and they put you on the next KLM flight instead, but you would be pretty unlucky for that to happen.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1h 45m is plenty of time at AMS. I used to travel a lot from EDI to AMS and onwards to all sorts of destinations such as Joburg, Munich, Zurich and various US destinations. MCT at Schiphol to a flight within Europe is 40 minutes and 50 minutes for an intercontinental flight.

As said above if the flights are on a single ticket KLM will rebook you should the worse happen.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dobby, ski boots in hand luggage, also anything else, e.g. Contact lenses or Rx drugs that you would find tricky to live without and couldn't easily replace if your luggage was delayed.

Otherwise no worries at all.

I typically have only 60 minute layovers at AMS, FFT, MUC, etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used to travel regularly CWL to Stuttgart with KLM via Amsterdam and it was not unusual for one of our groups baggage to be delayed onto the next flight. It happened more often when transfer times were short at about an hour than when the transfers were 2 hours. The other thing to remember with AMS is that you will be flying into the Schengen zone so will have to clear immigration at Schiphol before flying on the "domestic" flight to Trondheim.

Personally I would pack very defensively with essential first day items in hand luggage and split other items between cases.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I fly CWL - AMS - elsewhere at least twice a year.

Plenty of time to transfer through AMS.

And the beauty of CWL is it's about 100m from kerbside to check-in and oversize baggage drop.

The last three times I've flown from CWL I've got the bus from Cardiff city centre and it's been 45-50 minutes from getting on the bus to sitting in the departure lounge (30 min bus ride and 15-20 min check-in & security).

Not many airports in the world where you can do that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dobby,
We've flown many times with KLM via Amsterdam. Their minimum allowed connection time between flights is 45 minutes, so an hour on top of that will give you enough time.

We've done a few 50 minute connections over the years, although the luggage didn't make it on one occasion. Sad I'd recommend taking your ski kit and boots in your hand luggage (which is what we've done for years), just in case....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bergmeister, always take essential ski stuff in hand luggage - after a bad experience with Worst Choice (as they became known in our family). @Mike Pow, yeah, like to fly from CWL if possible. So easy to do. For us, it'll be a 30 minute drive from home to airport. Easy (hopefully).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dobby wrote:
@Mike Pow, yeah, like to fly from CWL if possible. So easy to do. For us, it'll be a 30 minute drive from home to airport. Easy (hopefully).

Us too (though about 45 minutes).

Unfortunately, just not often enough possible - we will always go for direct flights even if it means an extra couple of hours drive, and CWL just doesn't have nearly as many routes as either BRS or BHX.

I've never understood why it doesn't have more than BRS - it's an easier location to get to, can take larger aircraft, has a longer runway, and has a far superior terminal building. And fewer noise restrictions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@alex_heney, and fewer times shut by fog - BRS notorious for it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dobby, BRS was originally sited where it is as the RAF's foggy weather research and training center, specifically becausebit could be relied upon to supply poor weather ... rolling eyes
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
dobby wrote:
@Mike Pow, yeah, like to fly from CWL if possible. So easy to do. For us, it'll be a 30 minute drive from home to airport. Easy (hopefully).

Us too (though about 45 minutes).

Unfortunately, just not often enough possible - we will always go for direct flights even if it means an extra couple of hours drive, and CWL just doesn't have nearly as many routes as either BRS or BHX.

I've never understood why it doesn't have more than BRS - it's an easier location to get to, can take larger aircraft, has a longer runway, and has a far superior terminal building. And fewer noise restrictions.

Things are moving in the right direction.

KLM will take you pretty much anywhere in the world with one or more changes.

FlyBe fly direct to Geneva, Munich, Zurich, Milan Malpensa & Verona which give access to more resorts than you can ski in a lifetime Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy