Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sälen Sweden

Poster: A snowHead
I just have to recommend to visit Sälen in Dalarna, Sweden. We usually go there with the whole family and it's a great atmosphere. Have you been to Sälen yourself and what's your experience?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been a couple of times, and its a nice family resort for beginners and early intermediates. There is, of course, some black runs and väggen which is 45 degrees, but otherwise a bit limited for more advanced skiers. I don't know about offpiste, but imagine there are some areas for tree skiing. The thing that always puts me off is the drive...(5 hours from Stockholm). I much prefer Åre.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@HannaJost, welcome to snowHead . I'd like to read a trip report if you can be bothered to write one. I've been to Are (@Themasterpiece, how do you get the Angstrom using a UK/US keyboard) and Hemsedal, so it'd be nice to read about Salen (umlaut omitted)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dobby, on my phone and ipad I have downloaded a Swedish keyboard (ipad go to Settings - General - Keyboards, there is a globe button that swaps it). On my laptop in have a Swedish keyboard as I live here Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's spam - link to the word atmosphere
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, not any more Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Themasterpiece wrote:
I've been a couple of times, and its a nice family resort for beginners and early intermediates. There is, of course, some black runs and väggen which is 45 degrees, but otherwise a bit limited for more advanced skiers. I don't know about offpiste, but imagine there are some areas for tree skiing. The thing that always puts me off is the drive...(5 hours from Stockholm). I much prefer Åre.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have been looking at Salen for us as a family next year but by flying into Oslo as that looked a much shorter transfer.... However reading your comment here made me wonder if I was missing something?

Transfer distance aside do you still prefer Are? If so why?

Thanks so much
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ it is shorter from Oslo, 3 hours. But we live in Stockholm, hence my comment on the journey and I'm not keen on long drives (although a lot of people wouldn't call that long at all). We prefer Åre for the journey (we fly), larger mountain, proper Town (village). That said, if you have children then Sälen is very popular and caters very well. Out of all the areas in Sälen, I think Hundfjället is best. If you can, avoid half term (sportlov), which is weeks 7-10, especially Stockholm week 9 as its peak price.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, I've only skiied the Lindvällen area in Sälen but would tend to agree with @Themasterpiece about Hundfjället (from the road and the piste map it looks better). Lindvällen is very much along one side of a hill so there's not much variety despite the range of piste colours and it's frustrating going from one end to the other. Having said that, if you have young/beginner kids then Lindvällen is good. It also has a very good pool, which was the major reason we chose it. Also be aware that the transport lifts linking the areas are long flat drags, and going from Lindvällen to Högfjället involves a lot of poling/skating. When it's windy, it can make the journey nigh on impossible in one direction! If you're half-decent skiers you'll probably want to visit both areas (Tandådalen-Hundfjället and Lindvallen-Högfjället) to avoid skiing the same slopes over and over again.
From Oslo, you'll drive straight past Trysil, and you get a day in Trysil if you buy a week lift pass for Sälen.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks both. My thoughts, were hire a car then we can easily ski different areas including the day in Tyrsil, which was why I was favoring there
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Themasterpiece, when you say "weeks 7 - 9" is week one the first whole week in January?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On a slightly different topic, I am now trying to finalise prices etc, and when I was checking the lift pass prices on the Skistar website, it won't let me select any dates in 2018 EARLIER than the ~18th Feb. We are looking at the week before. Any ideas why?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ wrote:
@Themasterpiece, when you say "weeks 7 - 9" is week one the first whole week in January?

Week 7 2018 is Sunday 11 - Sunday 18 Feb

NickyJ wrote:
On a slightly different topic, I am now trying to finalise prices etc, and when I was checking the lift pass prices on the Skistar website, it won't let me select any dates in 2018 EARLIER than the ~18th Feb. We are looking at the week before. Any ideas why?

Weird. I wouldn't worry as you can add lift passes onto your booking later, or just get them when there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
By the way, more accommodation may become available in the coming weeks. Skistar requires owners to nominate which weeks they want themselves by end April.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Themasterpiece wrote:
By the way, more accommodation may become available in the coming weeks. Skistar requires owners to nominate which weeks they want themselves by end April.
very useful to know. Thanks.
latest report
Themasterpiece wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

NickyJ wrote:

Weird. I wouldn't worry as you can add lift passes onto your booking later, or just get them when there.

I would have understood if they didn't have anything yet for next season but to have nothing for Jan and then mid Feb onward seemed very odd, hence worried there may be a problem with those dates.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

NickyJ wrote:

I would have understood if they didn't have anything yet for next season but to have nothing for Jan and then mid Feb onward seemed very odd, hence worried there may be a problem with those dates.

There will be no problem with that week, just something strange with the dates you can book lift passes, but I don't know why. I had a flick through to look at the other Skistar resort pages; for Åre and Vemdalen you can't book anything in 2018 yet, for Tyril and Hemsedal just one weekend in March 2018 is showing up. I just don't think they are paying much attention to 2018 yet.
snow report
@Themasterpiece, Happy

That's good. Plan is to book flights in a couple of days when I can book a return leg for the date I want as those will only change in one direction. Sounds like it is worn waiting until April to book the accommodation. Really appreciate your help.
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, thanks for the tip re Skistar and owners putting accommodation onto the website
snow conditions
Half term flights just booked pretty much on release. Went with BA in the end, as both cheaper and less conflicts over if I can take skis in hold luggage.... £504 return to Oslo for the family of 4.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy