Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resort for 5 Yr Old - Tignes or Val d'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So my daughter will be going to school this coming September and we will be bound by school holidays henceforth for the foreseeable future. We're planning a two week holiday at Easter which is why Tignes or Val fit the bill nicely. Having been to the EK several times I know and like the area, so this makes it a good choice. What I'm not sure about is which has the best nursery slopes for a 5 year old. She's already done 3 weeks skiing and can snowplough turn pretty well, so I suspect she'll be venturing onto Greens and possibly even easy Blues next year.

Anyone got any advice, recommendations, suggestions, experience of these two resorts for little skiers???

Cheers all
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If staying in Val d'Isere itself coming down from the Solaise plateau at the end of the day can be an icy nightmare. Just download unless they are capable of coping with a 100 yards or more of boilerplate.

Otherwise they will have a good time at either resort. Maybe Tignes as the edge for convenience?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say Val d'Isere. You have all the nice runs around Solaise such as Madeleine. On the Belvarde side there is Grand Pre and the slow skiing area down towards Borsat. If she has done 3 weeks and you can fit some dry slope or fridge time in between now and next April, then I'm sure she'll be able to tackle Greens and Blues.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For me, the absolute key requirement for a 5 year old is accommodation within really easy reach of the ski school meeting place - both to get them there, and to whisk them home for a rest/lunch or whatever. Either that or a car and free parking to make getting her around easy. Personally, I wouldn't go for either of those but I see the attraction, at Easter. I'd probably plump for Val Thorens, for convenience.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed in Val D centre, Tignes and La Daille when my son was about that age. Pros and cons for all but, if you can get accommodation that makes the centre of Tignes 2100 (Le Lac) easy to reach for your child, then that would just shade it for me. I mean the area near the Toviere gondola, Maison de Tignes and swimming pool/ leisure centre.
The improvements for beginners on Solaise make Val D more appealing for relative beginners and it is a more attractive town. Overall I think Tignes Le Lac more convenient. I'd not say same about Les Brevieres, Les Boisses, Lavachet and Val Claret though, unless you are all OK with bus rides or longer lift rides.
EK is a great choice for Easter, especially a late one.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, some great feedback as always.

Daughter is booked in for some lessons periodically at the local fridge this year just to keep her interest and bring her on a bit. We're looking to book her into lessons with New Generation Ski next season who do 3 hr morning lessons meeting in Le Lac. We've found a couple of apartments right across from the lifts which would be very convenient. What are the nursery / beginner slopes like on that area though - it always seems incredibly busy round there which puts me off a bit. The other issue with Tignes is there isn't very much there apart from the skiing - Val has more of a town to it.... I guess there isn't really a perfect choice so will always have to comprise on something.

Looking more likely we'll be heading to Tignes at the moment.

@pam w, I've been to Val Thorens and didn't really gel with it for some reason, though no doubt it would be a great option for late season skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd go with Tignes personally - you can go all round the bowl on cruisy blues. The resort runs in Val D are not that much fun for beginners.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nickr,
Quote:

What are the nursery / beginner slopes like on that area though - it always seems incredibly busy round there which puts me off a bit.

Booking with New Gen a great idea, as we always found them good in Tignes. The beginner runs from the Lavachet (gentle drag) and Rosset (Chair) lifts probably easiest to start with. Can get busy but at least Rosset area better controlled now and protected from people bombing down from Trolles above.
On opposite side, Palafour chair and Almes draglifts give access to fairly easy blues, eg anemone, almes. Round bowl towards Col de Palet probably OK, all blues, some a little more challenging. Then blues either side of Grattalu chair should be fine if snow decent.

If daughter has stamina, and weather good, exciting trip to Solaise above Val D possible. Did it with 5-6 year old - tired but thrilled at end. Wait a bit until any icy pistes softened a little. Toviere gondola. Creux/Edelweiss/Tines blues. Then Marmottes chair to top of Bellevarde. Ride down in Olympique gondola from same peak (optional Face or Epaule de Charvet black for any spare adults feeling adventurous). The Solaise chair (or will there be a new cable car option by then too?) to top of Solaise.....gentle slopes, magic carpets, lifts up there, with great alpine views around Col de Madeleine. Ride back down to Val D by chair or cable car. Back up Olympique gondola, laughing at people struggling down Face below. Verte piste down to Tommeuses chair. Ride down to Tignes 2100 in Toviere gondola (optional Cretes/Combe Folles/Trolles reds & black for any spare adults). Sounds a lot but plenty of lift breaks - maybe adult try it first one morning when daughter in 3 hour lesson?

Tignes 2100 has good fun pool with traditional swimming pool too, usually 1 visit included with 6 day pass. Husky rides around lake, at a price. Wouldn't recommend ice diving beneath lake. Mostly dedicated to skiing.
Bus ride to Val Claret and ride up Funicular exciting for 5 year olds. They used to have ice grotto up top but not sure if still offered.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@intermediate, cheers, that's pretty much made my mind up for Tignes Le Lac.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster wrote:
I'd go with Tignes personally - you can go all round the bowl on cruisy blues. The resort runs in Val D are not that much fun for beginners.

Don't do them then. It's not compulsory.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy