Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - Easter 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've just had a great week in Obergurgl and we've been back a whole week already, so thoughts are turning to next year as they do. We're constrained to the Easter school break and we'd like to go back to Austria again (after a few years in France). The two places that initially appeal are Saalbach/Hinterglemm and Schladming/Ski Amade but they're both a good bit lower than Obergurgl, so I don't know how snow sure they (usually) are. Obergurgl worked for us - a mix of blues, reds and the odd black, nice hotel, ski-in/out, good vibe without being too noisy and some nice places to eat. And we'll probably take the car again cos that works as well. I'm probably missing quite a few other places, so any suggestions welcome . thx
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easter is pretty late next year.
From my experience Saalbach/Hinterglemm is pretty much closed or very very restricted by then.
Date wise everything in Amadé (that wasn't already closed) closed today.
Arguably the higher areas have just had another top-up and would last.
You'll certainly struggle to find a ski in ski out unless you head up to Obertaurn.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting post - I'm similarly constrained next season and was wondering whether the relatively late Easter school hols has ruled out everywhere except the very highest resorts.

I'd even asked Admin if there was score to extend the EoSB forward and run a Snow-heads family bash in VT for mid April. However I am really keen to explore options outside the French Alps that i can drive to and which aren't going to break the bank. Austria looked like it might be good value - if resorts are still open.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Easter is quite late, but looking at the college calendar for next year the break is running from 31st March if that makes any difference. If not Austria, then maybe Switzerland ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Arlberg has a good snow record and I've skied there a few years early April and always had good snow.

Pics here of the conditions over a few years http://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lech or zurs.we went to lech this easter and loved it-check out webcams now there is still loads of snow http://www.lechzuers.com/livecams
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Easter is pretty late next year.
From my experience Saalbach/Hinterglemm is pretty much closed or very very restricted by then.

@mikeh, Saalbach's policy seems to be to keep everything going throughout the Easter holidays and for a week or so afterwards. The closing date therefore varies according to how early or late Easter is. This year the two Easter weeks were those commencing 19th and 26th March, and the resort closed on 10th April. In previous years Easter has been later, and so has the closing date. They don't seem to have a problem with lack of snow, thanks to the extensive snow-making, and in our experience it has always been possible to ski back to the village on the resort runs right up to the end of the season. However it should be noted that during the last week only the Schattberg, Westgipfel and Zwoelferkogel sectors (i.e. the southern side of the valley) remain open - also Leogang, although the link from Saalbach may not be. The northern (south-facing) side of the valley closed this year on 4th April - earlier than usual due to the early Easter. My impression over the last few years has been that the policy to close the resort in stages is not because of any lack of snow, but because of the relative lack of people, once the Easter holidays are over - it's not worth keeping 270km of pistes supervised and groomed for the sake of only those few people who want to ski during the last week; besides the side of the valley that remains open still provides ample skiing for them.
If you're thinking of taking your holiday during the first week of April, you should be okay; although the closing date for next season hasn't yet been announced, I expect it will be after the middle of April - probably around 23rd - so the whole area should still be open. Skiing conditions in early April can be good, depending on the weather and air temperatures, which can obviously be spring-like or wintry, just like anywhere in the Alps - or the UK for that matter! A few seasons ago the first week of April was arguably the best week of the season with cold temps, fresh snow and perfect, empty pistes; this year it was warm and sunny with a southerly airstream (still good skiing in the mornings) - but the second week became colder and it was actually snowing at village-level as I left on 9th.
Bear in mind, as so often is pointed out on this forum, that the snowline is lower in Austria than in the western Alps and the Pyrenees; the mountains further east suffer less from the warming influence of the ocean and the Gulf Stream. Austrian resorts are therefore able to keep running into mid-April, despite their typically lower altitudes than resorts in the western Alps.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 19-04-16 10:34; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about Mayrhofen ? Tourist office says they're planning on opening 'til 23rd April (some lifts will almost certainly be closed after easter weekend though) but as has been pointed out most school holidays are from first week of April. Don't know when snowbombing is though - that might make it a bit noisy though but there are other resorts in Zillertal. Some other options in this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2140767
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy