Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Bornand Chinaiilon - Reviews

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We are a group of 18 made up of young and old. Most are skiing but some are going to walk each day. We are considering staying in Le Grand Bornand Chinaiilon in what looks like a lovely self catered chalet. We have only really stayed in the Portes Du Soleil and are looking to venture somewhere different next season.

Has anyone stayed in this resort and if so was it an enjoyable experience? Going off the reviews it all looks good but just wanted to find out if anybody can confirm.

Has Chinaiilon got restaurants and bars and more importantly a super market? Is it easy enough for the kids to get to there ski lessons? It does look like a small resort so is there enough apres for a week or would we have to go into Le Grand Bornand?

Any feedback/comments gratefully received.

Thanks

George
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@holyjasper,
Hi George,
We know the resort well and have an apartment in Le Chinaillon so will probably (amongst others) be able to answer all of your questions.

Can I ask where exactly is the chalet you are thinking of staying in? I will then be able to let you know re the practicalities of getting to ski lessons etc.

In answer to your questions so far:
Chinaillon does have restaurants - a couple of which are located in hotels Alpage and Cremaillere but the others are 'stand alone' restaurants. There is also a very sweet newly opened bistro/tapas place
Bars - The Green Monkey is the only 'pub type' bar in Le Chinaillon. The other bars are the Wine bar attached to the Entract restaurant and the Hotel Cimes has a very nice although quite small snug bar.

Yes, there is a Spar Supermarket. It's quite pricey compared to the Spar in Grand Bornand but very handy. There also some very nice Regional Produce shops and two bakeries. If you have a car, there are Intermarche and Carrefour supermarkets within reasonable distance.

Apres is fairly limited in Le Chinaillon - mostly centered around the slope side snack bars - La Floria is where the instructors tend to gather at the end of the ski day and is quite lively. Most evening 'entertainment' is via the restaurants and bars already mentioned. It is not the place to go for riotous apres ski - but neither is Le grand Bornand really, although LGB does have the only night club. (Never been ourselves so can't vouch for it in any way) Having said that, we have had many a good evening in the Green Monkey etc.

As for being an enjoyable experience - well, we've been going several weeks a year for several years so our answer is yes!!

One other thing - you will find it a smaller ski area than Portes du Soleil, but you can link up to La Clusaz via the ski bus if you wish to expand your skiing. We rarely do these days but it is nice to have the option. If snow Parks are your thing there is a very good one here.

Hope that helps
Loatie
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think @loatie, has pretty well covered it there - one other question would be if you plan to have your car(s) there? - If you do then that's a real help - ski school meeting points are usually at either the base of the Floria and Chatelet lift or at the base of the Gettiers lift. There's lots of parking around both though spaces are at a premium at peak times. Clusaz is an easy 15/20 minute drive if you have a car too.

Our favourite restaurant in Chinaillon is L'Entracte - great pizzas and more local offerings - there is never a shortage of cheese related dishes available anywhere....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Dave and Loatie

Many thanks for your responses - really helpful.

With regards as to where the chalet is all I know is it is called Chalet Mirasol and in the blurb it says "Located in the center of the Chinaillon, you could walk to the shopping area and you can reach the main ski roads taking the public lift in 5 minutes."

We havent decided on whether we will have a vehicle yet or get a transfer. As there are 18 of us we would either hire two 9 seaters or get transfers sorted - I suppose it all comes down to cost really although I do think it would be handy to be able to drive to the supermarket. In other resorts we have visited we have pre-ordered from a supermarket and they deliver to you also we have had fresh baguettes etc ordered for each morning which get delivered. Do you know if this is possible in Chinaillon?

I was concerned that we would have to get the kids into LGB each morning for ski school but it sounds like they meet in Chinaillon. Looking on the piste map its hard to see whether you can ski down into LGB from Chinaillon - would you know if its possible to ski between the two areas if you get high enough?

I think we are going to book this chalet as it all looks great. I went on a boys ski trip to LGB earlier this year and although we only skied for one day in LGB as we spent the rest in La Clusaz it looked like there would be plenty to keep a load of second timer kids happy for a week?

Thanks again for any advice.

Cheers
George
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That looks to be up the hill a little from Le Village de Lessy where @loatie is based - quite a central location.

I don't think the supermarket delivers but @loatie, will know best.

You can ski from Chinaillon down to LGB by the Envers run when the snow extends low enough (it was open at Easter then we were there)
It brings you down to the bottom of the Joyere gondola.

There's a good range of terrain for second timers I'd say - we've been going back for years.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@holyjasper,

As Dave says, the chalet appears to be located in Samance which is a fairly easy stroll to the centre. If it's slippery or you don't fancy it, the ski bus does a loop around Samance and will take you directly to the pistes.

I don't know for certain whether or not it's possible for a delivery from the supermarket but like Dave, I would think not. However, it may be possible to organise someting via the chalet owner for your arrival day? We have friends who run a chalet in Le Chinaillon and I know they have done a shop for their guests.
The bakery at that end of Chinaillon is one of the first shops you'd come to if you're walking down from Samance - I don't know if they deliver as we've always walked to it. Again, I would think not as it's a fairly small concern and I think their staff are either the bakers or serving in the shop.
In the summer, and probably in winter too, they do take orders the night before so you can be sure of getting what you want and then you collect it in the morning.

Looks a lovely chalet from the pics.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy