Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Five brilliant Austrian ski resorts you’ve (probably) never heard of

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting article on the Fall-Line web site

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/brilliant-austrian-ski-resorts-youve-probably-never-heard/

Intrigued by Nassfeld and Tauplitz

Anyone been?

Thoughts / experiences / recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sonnenkopf was the missus nearest proper hill when she was growing up in south west Germany. I've been a few times for days out. There is no village to stay in as such. We stayed in some relatives places fairly close by when I did multi-day trips, of which the longest was 3 iirc. It's a great little area, had a blast whenever we went. But it's not a "holiday" venue I would say.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Enjoyed Nassfeld but a lot of the pistes were very similar in style / gradient. The two ends of the resort were nice. There were other options around too. There's a long run down from one end of the resort and a bit of a "beat the clock" to see how quickly you can ski it top to bottom. Prices were good. Value good. We looked at Chalet Sonnleitn and Chalet Kammleitn and I think we stayed in Kammleitn. Good value again. Easy enough to reach via a cheap flight to Ljubljana and a hire car.
It's going to be hugely improved when the new lift goes in giving proper access to / from Italy. Not sure when that is scheduled for - not too long I don't think.
I would go back but decided to wait for the new lift before I go.
Limited apres ski (but that's fine by me)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The lift up from Italy has been projected, and has been under debate, for more than 20 years now. And in that period multiple announcements that the work is now "really, this time" starting. All this time, the Italians did not succeed in arranging funding. Given this history, I believe this lift will come only after the first person gets onto it Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
Sonnenkopf was the missus nearest proper hill when she was growing up in south west Germany. I've been a few times for days out. There is no village to stay in as such. We stayed in some relatives places fairly close by when I did multi-day trips, of which the longest was 3 iirc. It's a great little area, had a blast whenever we went. But it's not a "holiday" venue I would say.

Thanks. Much appreciated.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnHSmith wrote:
Enjoyed Nassfeld but a lot of the pistes were very similar in style / gradient. The two ends of the resort were nice. There were other options around too. There's a long run down from one end of the resort and a bit of a "beat the clock" to see how quickly you can ski it top to bottom. Prices were good. Value good. We looked at Chalet Sonnleitn and Chalet Kammleitn and I think we stayed in Kammleitn. Good value again. Easy enough to reach via a cheap flight to Ljubljana and a hire car.
It's going to be hugely improved when the new lift goes in giving proper access to / from Italy. Not sure when that is scheduled for - not too long I don't think.

That's great. Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Onnem wrote:
The lift up from Italy has been projected, and has been under debate, for more than 20 years now. And in that period multiple announcements that the work is now "really, this time" starting. All this time, the Italians did not succeed in arranging funding. Given this history, I believe this lift will come only after the first person gets onto it Twisted Evil

Good to know.

Is it possible to drive around? What's the Italian resort name please?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sonnenkopf is a really good area for the day. Often offered as day trip by UK tour operators from ST Anton or Lech. It also has the steepest Black Piste in the Arlberg. Steeper than any in St Anton. If offered the opportunity to take one of these day trips, do so, it is worth it if the snow cover is good. I've taken many a group there from Lech.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Sonnenkopf is a really good area for the day. Often offered as day trip by UK tour operators from ST Anton or Lech. It also has the steepest Black Piste in the Arlberg. Steeper than any in St Anton. If offered the opportunity to take one of these day trips, do so, it is worth it if the snow cover is good. I've taken many a group there from Lech.

Thank you
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JohnHSmith wrote:

Looks good. Did you look at getting there from Klagenfurt as it looks closer at just over an hours drive and seems to be a possibility of a reasonable train transfer if you did not want to rent a car? Or is Klagenfurt harder to fly into?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We looked at cheapest flights to be honest.
We normally fly and hire a car. From memory there is a train line running up the valley and a station at Jenbach (?) But as we were staying a short distance away from the main gondola (3 or 4 minute drive) a car was easier. Also the lift pass that we got gave access to a lot of other smaller resorts and we wanted a day out at one of those.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 15-04-16 14:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow wrote:
Onnem wrote:

Good to know.

There isn't actually an Italian resort as such yet.

The planned links are to Pontebba, and will also include building Pistes on that side of the mountain.

It looks like you can drive around via Arnoldstein and Tarviso (where there is an Italian Ski resort), probably around 30-35Km, or there is a smallish road directly over the top (SP110), but I suspect that may sometimes get closed in winter. It is normally open.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Onnem wrote:

Good to know.

There isn't actually an Italian resort as such yet.

The planned links are to Pontebba, and will also include building Pistes on that side of the mountain.

It looks like you can drive around via Arnoldstein and Tarviso (where there is an Italian Ski resort), probably around 30-35Km, or there is a smallish road directly over the top (SP110), but I suspect that may sometimes get closed in winter. It is normally open.

Excellent. Many thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:

It is possible to get here by post bus, two, from St Anton, if I remember correctly changing at Langen. The shortish black, also from memory, is wide and smooth, so great fears. Worth a day out, but not at the expense of a Lech/Zurs day out if not been there before.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:
Interesting article on the Fall-Line web site

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/brilliant-austrian-ski-resorts-youve-probably-never-heard/

I would have thought that Galtur was reasonably on the radar, ditto for nassfeld, although calling a ski resort "wet field" is right up there with "la Grave" and Wankdorf. Ok you can't ski in Wankdorf.
snow report
They're all beginner and intermediate resorts.

Sonnenkopf is the pick of the bunch there. It is tiny, but often gets good snowfall (bad this season), and has some long trails.

Worth it for the novelty of "somewhere different" and possibly finding a hidden nugget offpiste.
snow conditions
Thanks both
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:

Anyone been?

Thanks in advance

Here's my trip report from a few years back:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1151559&highlight=nassfeld#1151559
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Sonnenkopf is the pick of the bunch there. It is tiny, but often gets good snowfall (bad this season), and has some long trails.

Worth it for the novelty of "somewhere different" and possibly finding a hidden nugget offpiste.

In my experience some of the best powder DAYS NOT HOURS I've had have been at beginner and intermediate 'family' resorts.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Anyone been?

Thanks in advance

Here's my trip report from a few years back:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1151559&highlight=nassfeld#1151559

Great report. Very much appreciated.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

In my experience some of the best powder DAYS NOT HOURS I've had have been at beginner and intermediate 'family' resorts.

I can relate to that. I used to do "boys trips", used guides a bit, did a bit of gnarly stuff with the wife. In recent years (6-7) it's nearly all been family ski trips, including a few smaller (French, occasionally Austrian) resorts and a powder day is a powder day. You can actually find something a little gnarly in lots of places - arguably most or all. And if you find something often there isn't much competition so you can do repeat lines. I still hanker after a bit of gnarl mind you but the kids are growing up fast so.... Very Happy Razz snowHead
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
I would have thought that Galtur was reasonably on the radar...

Probably for all the wrong reasons though.. Confused

Does anyone know anything about Kasberg from that list?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy