Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DPS Wailer 112 RP2 Hybrid - Mounting Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am in the process of buying a pair of Wailer 112 RP2 Hybrid skis. They just need to have some bindings fitted before they are sent out by the retailer.

My dilemma is where to position the bindings. Whilst I would usually have bindings fitted in the neutral position (ie as recommended by the ski manufacturer), I have read that a number of people prefer to position the bindings +1cm or +2cm in front of the centre line in order to have more maneuverability.

I have no plans to use the skis in the park but want to use the skis in both powder (probably 80%) and on piste (probably 20%) and want to get the best set-up.

I'm currently wondering whether to fit some Marker Schizo bindings so that I have flexibility - I would prefer not to have to re-drill the new skis!

Any thoughts or recommendations would be very much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Email from Connor at DPS last month re that ski: "I would definitely recommend that you mount +1cm from midsole point for optimal performance/good turn initiation etc."
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've had two pairs of the Wailers: initially the Hybrid and then the Pure. I was recommended to mount the Hybrids 2cm back for powder/freeride and that setup served me very well. I had the Pures mounted the same way and I'm still smiling. Mine are 190s. If you've gone for the shorter variety then you might not want to go the whole hog and moderate slightly how far back you go. On my slightly shorter Mythics I only went back 15mm.
Enjoy...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Note that the mounting points vary a lot between different generations of DPS skis so like for like comparisons can't be made with skis from a different year of manufacture.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With the huge rocker and deep sidecut, I think you're very unlikely to have problems with either manoeuvrability or float. Maybe go forwards if you have a particularly upright or centred stance and ski style (or want to spin/jib), otherwise just go with recommended.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I put Marker Schizo on my Line SFBs for this reason. There are marks at centre, -1cm from centre which is ski designer, Eric Pollard's choice, and -5cm from centre which Line describes as traditional. My Schizos are mounted so the midsole of my boot can go from centre back to -6cm from centre. At first I had them set at Erics choice, but coming from an all mountain ski it felt like there was too little ski in front and loads behind. I adjusted them a further 3cm back and I've been happy. Glad I got the Schizos.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks. It sounds as if there is no "one rule for all" and it is very much down to personal preference, skiing style and what you use the skis for. I think I will go down the Schizo route to give me flexibility, perhaps centered on the manufacturer's recommended neutral mounting line.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you mount the Schizo without adjusting the jig position it will give you the 'as mounted' position & then up to 3cm forward. You're not going to want to ski that ski further forward than +1cm so I'd recommend mounting the Schizo on the -2cm line so you can then go from there to +1cm & anywhere in between.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have just received the following response from Conor at DPS:

"Thanks for the email. With the Hybrid 184cm Wailer 112RP, we typically recommend to mount at +1cm from midsole. This point allows the ski to be a bit quicker edge-to-edge while also giving the ski some neutral balance. The Marker Schizo is a solid choice as it allows you to play with the mounting points so you can go as far as +2 or +3 for say skiing bumps, or +1 or midsole for wide open powder skiing. I think that is a great choice. If you do go for the standard alpine binding such as a Look Pivot or Marker Jester, I would go with the +1 mount.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Conor Brady // Pro Sales

DPS Skis"

Food for thought!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Further comment from Conor at DPS regarding going into the "minus" territory:

"There is no reason to go that far back [i.e. -1 or -2] as our mount points are already pretty far back. Sticking at +1 will be the spot.

Conor Brady // Pro Sales

DPS Skis"

Much will, I guess, depend on personal preference but it's good to get input from the ski manufacturer. (Very impressed with their responsiveness!)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a pair for a few years. I cannot imagine putting the mount back from the line. If I had them again I'd go at least 2cm forward.
If going with the Schizo then mount on the line and up to +3.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BenA wrote:
I had a pair for a few years. I cannot imagine putting the mount back from the line. If I had them again I'd go at least 2cm forward.
If going with the Schizo then mount on the line and up to +3.

BenA :
spyderjon wrote:
Note that the mounting points vary a lot between different generations of DPS skis so like for like comparisons can't be made with skis from a different year of manufacture.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fair point, although I think that in general DPS mount points are positioned fairly aft and I have never felt that I would want to mount behind the line on any of the DPS skis that i have used (Wailer, L120 and L138).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a pair of hybrid 112s (but in the shorter 178 length) I chatted to the DPS folks out at the Salt Lake OR show before I got them and they said similar to what is said above - for the (new gen) 112s they recommend going maybe 1-2 cm forward for a more all mountain mount, on the centre line for more deep snow. The only other thing they said is on the shorter lengths (so my 178s) they don't recommend going forward at all. I mounted mine on the boot centre line and have been happy. I demoed at set (tour and pure construction) which due to my tiny feet and demo bindings were probably 1-2cm in front of centre and they were really fun on the piste, in fact turn initiation felt easier than on my piste skis. Been happy with my centre mount in mixed conditions from boot deep powder to icy piste, they are still great fun on piste due to the sidecut and rocker and still keep a positive stance in deeper snow. I tend to have quite a forward/aggressive stance (raced as a kid)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy