Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Record cold set to affect Northeast Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Dire winter weather forecast by the UKMO has yet to materialise with much of the UK already seeing January temperatures well above average. However, extreme weather has now arrived in Russia and is sweeping across The Baltic States, heading for Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. Temperatures in Moscow overnight fell to levels not experienced in a decade or more at 33 Celsius at Domodedovo airport.

Says a weather report sent through to us via work e-mail
Quote:
Visibility has also been restricted at times by the rare Arctic phenomena of Ice Crystals depositing yet more ice on surfaces. The cold wave has been spreading south and west overnight with Tallinn now at 19 Celsius. This comes as a shock to the region which had seen temperatures 6 degrees above average for the first half of January.

Quote:
Eastern and central Europe, in stark contrast to the UK, has already seen bitterly cold weather this winter with temperatures below -20 Celsius in Slovakia earlier this week. Significant snow and ice storms swept across Germany yesterday with Frankfurt and Munich badly affected for a time and the current European Radar mosaic continues to show the battle zone between the cold and warm air over eastern Germany where sleet and snow are still falling. By the weekend though, the cold wave is expected to bring temperatures in Warsaw and Berlin to -15 Celsius

Quote:
Of course the $64000 question remains, will this cold wave reach the UK? Whilst too far ahead to be certain, some of the Medium Range Forecast (MRF) models continue to indicate a small but significant risk that the cold air will reach the UK later next week
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did you see those crazy Russians skinny dipping.It was -25,they broke the ice and jumped in Shocked
Also the pityfull sight of the homeless trying to survive by standing in bus/rail station corridors Sad
The frightening bit is that these are Russians,and struggling.This country would be on its knees in these conditions.
At work we have a freezer room,maintained at -20.The few times I've been in there,I was glad to get out!Lets hope this extream weather does not reach the UK.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Every time I go abroad we get rare ice climbing conditions hitting Snowdonia. It's not fair Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Michelle, the local forecasters are predicting that the cold wave will hit us here on Monday. Must admit that I'm surprised that -33C is considered unusually cold for Moscow. I've experienced -30C here in Munich on several occasions and thought that temperatures of -35 were more or less standard for Moscow Puzzled
We've been having a fairly cold winter here already. with temperatures reaching somewhere around -17C during the night regularly over the last couple of weeks. The ice rain day before yesterday produced some pretty desperate conditions on the roads (and pavements) over the whole of the south of Germany. Don't want to see a repeat of that anytime soon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike - sounds like News reporters embellishing the truth - I saw -35 on rare occasions in Orkney......
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah my understanding was that -30 was a regular winter low for Moscow - I was thinking about going there for Xmas and looked up info about it. However the news yesterday evening was saying temperatures in Russia had reached -40 Shocked ... so cold that apparently your breath would crystallise and fall making a slight tinkling sound...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
its a slow news day.. any straw will do.. thanks god for the whale!!

it could be -50 in scotland and you'd get on page 4 of the papers.. someone gets a sled out within sight of london and its the start of the ice age!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Dire winter weather forecast by the UKMO has yet to materialise with much of the UK already seeing January temperatures well above average.

Shame that a dire winter was never forecast by the UKMO. What they actually forecast in their long range seasonal forecast for this winter was a 66% chance of temperatures being average or below, which would lead to the coldest winter for 10 years. This says more on how mild rcent winters have been than how cold this winter is going to be. They aslo predicted that the cold would be greater for the South and east of england and that it would be drier than average - so far they seem to have been spot on. We in particular have had a poor winter in that when it has been cold enough for snow it has in the main been dry!

Also from TWO http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/

Summary for January 2006
The raw TWO CET readings for January 2006 are currently: Average 5.16C. Max 6.95C. Min 3.37C.

The adjusted TWO CET is 4.31. This is +0.51C from the 1961-90 average and +0.11C from the 1971-2000 average.

At 20/01/2006 we consider this month so far to be: Close to average.

and

Summary for December 2005
The raw TWO CET readings for December 2005 are currently: Average 4.5C. Max 7.4C. Min 1.6C.

The adjusted TWO CET is 3.65. This is -0.95C from the 1961-90 average and -1.45C from the 1971-2000 average.

We consider the temperature for this month to be: Close to average.

So for the winter so far one month below and one month above average, but both close to average (for the CET central england temp).

Scotland was/is above average for both months though it was (AFAIR) colder than in England
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy