Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Options for avoiding rain this weekend - Cham/St Gervais/Contamines

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

My other half and I are heading out to Geneva on Thurs evening for a last weekend of ski. Unfortunately the weather looks a bit temperamental with high FLs and possible rain to relatively high altitudes Fri through Sun rolling eyes Cham meteo refers to showers but it looks more like a deluge on snow-forecast!

We're staying near St Gervais but have a rental car and are planning to drive anyway (probably not going to bother with St Gervais itself). I wondered about Les Contamines and Cham (both GM and Brevent/Flegere) as possible places to go to get snowed on rather than rained on, but also have to factor in visibility/lift queues/wind etc. I don't want to pay the supplement for the GM top lift if it's going to get closed due to avi risk/wind or if you can't get on it without a reservation because of all the powder hounds Cool

Where would you go, this weekend, to try and make the best of the weather and the snow?

Don't mind a bit of a drive or even a trip through the tunnel to Switzerland if it's worth it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix Meteo

RIDAY APRIL 15
Weak disturbance crossing over from the west ‑ mild ‑ windy high up
SKY CONDITION : mostly cloudy ‑ fleeting sunny spells. Period of sunshine close to 30%.
PRECIPITATION : light and scattered ‑ rain‑snow limit towards 2300 m.
WIND - aloft : WSW moderate to strong ‑ strong at times.
TEMPERATURE : rising slightly.
EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL MONDAY APRIL 18 2016
Saturday : probably unsettled, partly sunny and fairly mild with shower risk in the afternoon. Sunday : unsettled ‑ often mainly cloudy with showers, yet persistently mild. Monday : high pressure setting some influence from the northwest might cause sunny and mild weather. Altitude stream will probably remain fairly strong during the three days, southwest to northwest.
Forecast reliability : poor.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thru the tunnel doesn't look a great deal better https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/week/courmayeur_italy_3177872
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm clinging to meteo-exploration's assumption that the rain-snow limit will be under 2000m in places:

http://www.meteoexploration.com/forecasts/Les-Contamines/index.php?lang=fr

Looks rather windy though. Damn you weather.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's been rather like that for weeks, @belette, don't feel it's specially arranged to spoil your weekend. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Like @pam w, weather has been all over the place. I've friends in Courmayeur who have scored some good condition yesterday along with us here in Serre, whilst another mate has gone high in Cervinia had cloud yesterday but on the whole with so many high peaks that was a good option (which might be worth considering) and he should do well tomorrow.

This weekend looks to be changing every time I look at it.

With a few members of the local CAF we're meant to be leaving very early to climb up the Refuge du Pavé Sat AM, basically to dig it out (it's only guarded in the summer) spend the night up there, and then depending on the weather do some interesting stuff the following morning, but I don't really relish the long climb up if it's raining rolling eyes

And forecast looks just as volatile for next week as well, where's the High Pressure Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I skied from the top at grand-Montets yesterday- it was brilliant- only had an hour but to still get fresh lines at 3pm...Grant-Montets will probably be your best bet- if you download the Chamonix app, you can see the state of lifts so make a decision on getting a ticket for the top at the last minute. You can also book your ride to the top in advance so you don't have to queue but has to be the day before so catch 22...https://www.ski-chamonix.info/en/forfait-ski/reservation-agm-B2C/?_ga=1.164550525.377841368.1460712043
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val Thorens.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Whitegold, the OP will be in St Gervais - it's quite a faff to drive from there to Val Thorens.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skied Brevent/Flegere and Grands Montets today - not too bad, got caught in a couple of showers but mostly managed to stay above the snow line. The top lift at Grands Montets was closed for wind, not expecting it to open tomorrow. It was a good day, i don't mind slush and up high the snow was still great.

Going to try Contamines tomorrow, bit more sheltered from the wind. Sunday looks dreich so if it doesn't get colder that might be a day for a big road trip or just the thermal baths Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy