Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Killy "bonus" day?

Poster: A snowHead
I arrive in Val d'Isere this Saturday (16 April) for a ski week. Evidently my 6 day Espace Killy lift pass includes one day at Paradiski and/or 3 Vallees. Can anyone verify this is correct?

So I am thinking to wait for a nice sunny day and spend a day at another resort.
This is my first trip to the Alps.
I am renting a car so I will be driving.
I am a strong advanced skier (former instructor) looking for long wide open blues, reds, and groomed blacks.

Where should I go?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes it is, but this is the last year. You have to go to the STGM Office in Val Claret between the Lanches Lift and the Funiculaire with ID, your pass and proof of purchase e mail/ticket. They will then give you a voucher for the resort of your choice.

The easiest way by car would be to drive to Villaroger (25 mins down the hill from Tignes - turn left in Ste Foy village (not the resort of SF.)) This gives you access to Paradiski, but not sure if those lifts will be open next week. Check skiplan.com for actual openings. Next stop would be the Funiculaire Car Park in Bourg St Maurice which will be open, giving you access to the centre of Les Arcs.

Nearest 3V entry point is about 1 hr 20 drive and probably not worth it as the snow down in St Martin or Meribel will not be good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@blueroom,
...but likely to be good at Val Thorens? Maybe above about 1800m at Courchevel too? Depends how much you want a day somewhere different to EK.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I sent an email inquiry to Paradiski, I received a reply saying are open next week. The 3 Vallees web site says they are open as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@blueroom If this is your first time to the alps I'm guessing you come form North America.
I hope you enjoy our hills.

I've always found it a bit odd that skiers from the US cant fathom that the distances in the mountains take so long to drive.
I can understand that you want to get so much skiing in if you have traveled across the pond.

We are getting quite late in the season and the snow in the afternoons will be quite slushy.
Although you will enjoy the 3 valleys, there is so much skiing there one day does not do it justice.

If you get that sunny day in the middle of the week, you would have to get up very early to drive round to Val Thorens.

If you have a car you can keep your options open.... Enjoy!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@DrLawn, true it is a bit of a drive from EK to 3V but not out of the question for a day trip. Is the gondola from Brides le Bains still running? If so, are lift links from Meribel-Mottaret-Val Thorens still doable? If so, could save some wiggly mountain road driving?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
I sent an email inquiry to Paradiski, I received a reply saying are open next week
I more than suspect that Chocksaway knew that - but he was suggesting you park/get the lifts at Villaroger to access Paradiski.

The issue with that is that Villaroger is low altitude - so the lifts may be open but it may not be possible to ski all the way back down to base. However, if there is snow to the bottom, you will be able to finish the day with the small matter of a vertical drop of 2000m or so from the summit of Aiguille Rouge.

As Chocks has said though, if you can't get the lift at Villaroger, just continue driving for 10 mins and get the funicular up to Arc 1600 from Bourg St Maurice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Is the gondola from Brides le Bains still running?

Actually I've since seen on another snowHeads post that Brides les Bains closes this Friday 15 April. Rest of 3V scheduled to be open all next week.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@intermediate,
I was wondering about that bubble up from Brides & Bains to Marybelle.
That would be good if it was open.
I've never been on it ,,, but it must be a long ride.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well if @blueroom, gets there he should look out for some of the 120+ snow heads clogging up the lifts in the 3v.
I'll be the one wearing blue gloves.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@blueroom, if you have not been to the Alps before then you should be impressed by the expanse and variety of trails available to you here. I for one would not pressure you to depart early doors one morning and chance better conditions away from Val d'Isere and Tignes (which are both still in good nick). Understand you may desire a change of scene if you have come a long way but there is a LOT to see, especially if you like your spring skiing which is super-accessible. If you like your corn snow then get a guide/instructor to give you a better chance of hitting the right aspects at the right times...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the input!

Quote:

you should be impressed by the expanse and variety of trails available to you here.

I am expecting to be very impressed. I better be, flights from Colorado to Geneva are not cheap!

It certainly is possible that I am totally content at Val and Tignes. This is my first trip to the Alps, I can't imagine it will be the last. So a day at another resort is a bit of a scouting mission - where might I go next time?

Val Thorens looks excellent, and with their altitude I imagine the snow is still in good nick (the Yank tries to talk like a Brit). However, it looks like at least a 2 hour drive - a bit much.

Quote:

I was wondering about that bubble up from Brides & Bains to Marybelle.
That would be good if it was open.
I've never been on it ,,, but it must be a long ride.

According to the 3 Vallees smartphone app, it is 3 bubbles and it takes an hour.

So I am leaning toward a day at Les Arcs.
Quote:

the small matter of a vertical drop of 2000m or so from the summit of Aiguille Rouge

That would be nice - skiplan.com says it will be open tomorrow.

Quote:

just continue driving for 10 mins and get the funicular up to Arc 1600 from Bourg St Maurice.

So 35 minutes from Val to BSM. How long is the funicular ride?

That gets me to Arc 1600, access to the upper lifts is at Arc 2000. How many lifts between 1600 and 2000? I did look at the trail (excuse me, piste) map and it is rather confusing. Some of the lifts are shown with dashed lines - what the heck does that mean?

If I were to drive up to Arc 2000 (or 1950) how long would that take? Is there any free (or reasonably priced) parking? Having lived and skied in Colorado for 30 years I am used to "wiggly mountain driving".
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yip (!) 35 mins from Val to Bourg is correct. Sorry I can't help with the Les Arcs specific questions but if you edit the post title (you can do this by clicking edit on your 1st post) to "Espace Killy Bonus Day - questions on Les Arcs" it will hopefully attract the attention of a Les Arcs addict like rob@rar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
blueroom, although Espace Killy is indeed a big place with lots to ski, it would be a shame having come all the way from Colorado to not explore at least one other resort, expecially as it is included in your lift pass.
Your problem is that you're spoilt for choice.
Les Arcs? La Plagne? Courchevel? Meribel? Val Thorens?
You need to consider not just the drive, but also parking, and how friendly the lift pass office is - some are right bolshy when handed the form for a free day's skiing.
If going for the Paradiski option, then i would opt for parking in Bourg and taking the train up.
Villaroger is low, and involves 3 slow lifts to get you into Les Arcs proper.
But at Bourg, the lift pass office by the train is friendly, and once up the train you got just 2 lifts: Mont Blanc or Cachette and then Arpette
(not sure what you mean by dotted lines, suggest look at this map: http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/France/Paradiski-Piste-Map-2016.jpg).
Parking used to be free in Bourg, but now you'll get charged a few Euros.
Les Arcs is pleasant enough, but i wouldn't reject the idea of driving around to the 3-valleys.
Yes, it could be up to 2 hours, but that is surely nothing for an American used to the wide open spaces . . .
The quickest drive is indeed Bride-les-Bains, and then take the Gondola up to Meribel, if its still running. Parking is free (last time i was there), and you can eat your breakfast on the way up. But then at least 2 other lits before you are skiing. Maybe not the best option (i'm not a fan of Meribel).
Usually my suggestion would be Courchevel. Its not much further to La Praz. Free parking, a lovely friendly village with excellent bars, and just one lift and you're skiing.
But if you're going to drive all that way - get up early, pick up a croissant on the way - then surely you should go up to Val Thorens and meet up with some fellow Snowheads attending the wonderful End-of-Season Bash. Free parking if you stop below the village at the car park by the bottom of the Caron Gondola. Then its a short walk over the bridge to a friendly lift pass office, and with one lift you are off skiing. Val Thorens is wonderful in good weather, so make sure you pick a nice sunny day. Val Thorens is no fun in bad weather.
(Also, on the drive, when you get to Moutiers, look carefully at the signs - make sure you are on the road to Val Thorens - its easy to end up on the wrong road)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim, you are spot on with my conundrum.

Thanks for the detail on Les Arcs and the link to the piste map. That one is better but a bit mystifying - Bois de L'ours has dotted lines and there is an arrow from the top of the lift pointing at a pile of rocks.
Quote:
and how friendly the lift pass office is - some are right bolshy when handed the form for a free day's skiing.

Bolshy? Had to Google that one. I was thinking I might have some language issues as I don't speak French, evidently I need to brush up on my British Very Happy

Okay, so now Val Thorens the first choice.
Quote:
Yes, it could be up to 2 hours, but that is surely nothing for an American used to the wide open spaces . . .

Good point. My typical drive for a day of skiing is an hour and a half - and that is dry roads with minimal traffic. Also - we are talking spring skiing, so no reason to there early, correct? Snow starts to soften 10:00 at the earliest?

Quote:
Free parking if you stop below the village at the car park by the bottom of the Caron Gondola.

Perfect. I understand Caron is some of the better skiing at Val Thorens.

Quote:
meet up with some fellow Snowheads attending the wonderful End-of-Season Bash

What does this involve? Snow cricket? Group lunches serving fish & chips? Seriously - that would be great. This is solo trip for me - it would be great fun to ski with some of these "crazy Brits" I keep hearing about.
snow report
Excellent, blueroom, so now you've got the EOSB thread to read.
Agree the best skiing may not start until 10am, but still worth getting there early: you can get yourself properly orientated with the piste map over a coffee, and meet up with some of those Crazy Snowheads snowHead

P.S. I think those dotted lines are to denote the lift actually goes the other side of the hill you can see on the map. But i am happy to be corrected. Not sure about the arrow.
ski holidays
Yes the dotted bits are where the lift goes behind the hill. The arrow is showing the start of the black which goes back down under the Bois de l'ours lift and comes out IIRC on Edelweiss.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy