Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanches in Northern French Alps Claim Five Victims

Poster: A snowHead
[20/01: headline updated following confirmation of deaths] Another avalanche this morning in the Lanchettes (Les Arcs domain) off-piste couloir. Rumours of people buried, certainly lots of activity in the area, plus a helicopter.

But I've only just got back so I'll make a call and see if anyone was caught up in it. Same place as the Ski Beat (?) rep was killed last year, I think.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-01-06 13:23; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, is that off the back down towards the nature reserve area?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First "semi official" report (from a piste security contact) ...

Several people buried following an avalanche in the Combe des Lanchettes off piste route. Two deaths reported so far.

The source - many, many years working piste security at Les Arcs - was horrified that people could have chosen today, given the conditions, to take this route. Heavy snowfall barely 24 hours earlier, much warmer temperatures... a recipe for disaster.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk, yes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was up at Arc 2000 this morning. The pisteurs were setting off regular explosions. The huge rumble and vibration of the slides that followed could be heard/felt miles away. That alone was enough to stop me from skiing more than a metre off-piste today. If that's not enough, there were signs everywhere pointing out the elevated risk. Why do people do it?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, Very sad, one could ask why but the answers are obvious. Last week in Reberty we shared with a lovley bunch of lads from the midlands. Ages: mid 20s to mid 40s. Nearley all profficient boarders. Despite aiming to do predominantly off piste powder none had done any avalanche awerness training, and none carried any recovery gear. Avalanche risk didn't even occur to them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, Sad - sorry I spoke now! Some of the slides around here are HUGE!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some more information in this updated article
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tragic Sad

I guess that some tough questions will be asked if they were skiing with a guide.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, irresponsible of the guide then to take them there
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very sad to hear this and odd that we never really hear anything about it on UK news broadcasts.

Not knowing much about avalanches - how much snow fell within the 24 hours to make it so dangerous? and how did warmer temperatures effect the snow?

Cheers,

Chris
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blondends, approximately 45cm fell in that region over the last couple of days, but more than that could have accumulated in the terrain they were skiing when caught in the avalanche. Heavy snow followed by warmer temperatures can help to contribute to a weak layer where the new snow does not bond very well to the old snow that it fell on to. The passage of a skier in an area where there is a heavy load of snow on top of a weak bond can trigger a slide.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Scary bananas ! I know they can never be failsafe but you'd like to think if you hire a guide they won't take you anywhere obviously hairy, wouldn't you ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
While waiting for 'official' confirmation, I see on the website of the ski school in question that their security pack includes 'airbags'. fat lot of good it did them, if that's the case.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, any idea what the official avalanche risk was at the time?
snow conditions
Sounds like it may not have been the fault of the guide but of boarders further up setting it off onto them. I remember being with a guide on an off piste face, we having specifically entered it a bit lower down to avoid a area he thought was suspect, and his fury when a group above us entered exactly that area, puting us in danger. He quickly took us away to one side as far as possible till they got to our level and then skied accross and shouted at them. They had been completely oblivious of the danger.
Mind you, I suppose with more people venturing off-piste with little knowledge perhaps a guide has to take idiots into account even far from any piste as this was.
snow conditions
a bit harsh Helen, we don't know enough detail. for all we know the guide could have done a risk assesment, dug a pit etc and decided the slope was ok, only for a 3rd party to trigger a slide above them.

regards,

greg
ski holidays
Nick, it's been at level 4 since yesterday... this photo (click to enlarge) taken yesterday afternoon up at Arc 2000. It's not as if you can miss them, they're all over.

ski holidays
Just talked to nbt who was taking the Lanchettes lift up from 2000 to rejoin the Aiguille Rouge down to Villaroger mid-morning. He was just behind a group of 4 or 5 youngsters (skiers) who may have been with a guide, and who headed straight across the piste in the direction of the couloirs on the other side. Could have been them.
latest report
I can only twice in all my years of off-piste skiing with guides remember a guide digging a pit (other than on a snowcraft course), and both times it was to demonstrate to us a weak layer he already knew was under the snow. Other than the particular characteristics of the slope, knowing the history of the wind and snowfall and temperature over previous weeks is what guides go by.
ski holidays
PisteHors reports a total of five deaths today, in four avalanches. Sad

Please don't let it be you; read all you can (on here and PisteHors) get some snowcraft training and just turn back when the Risk Level goes above 3.
snow conditions
Yes and there have also been reports of a slide crossing a piste in Les Contamines, plus an ongoing search at Flaine after a big slide there. And someone on Skipass has reported an avalanche from the Combe de Bellacha in La Clusaz... Let's hope the death toll doesn't rise any further.... Sad
latest report
Good god - a guide (though he survived, possibly due to his airbag) and two members of the ski patrol (1 dead) caught in avalanches in a single day...
snow conditions
La Clusaz - unofficial report that one person was buried, but rescued.
snow conditions
PG wrote:
Nick, it's been at level 4 since yesterday... this photo (click to enlarge) taken yesterday afternoon up at Arc 2000. It's not as if you can miss them, they're all over.

PG, thanks. Sobering stuff.
snow conditions
2 dead in LDA according to PisteHors, looks like Easiskis earlier predictions are sadly true.
snow conditions
will people ever learn to be able to know the conditions or to just READ the warnings!! rolling eyes

Lots of snow for a few weeks with vry cold, a thaw and then a snowfall in the past 24 hours and the consequence is an unstable base. Definately not off-piste skiing conditions! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hibernia, well, to repeat my thoughts in the SCGB thread on this...

If had been with a guide, but saw the Risk Level was 4, I might have gone with him - on the grounds that the Risk Level is general, but he knew the specific area. Of course, I know there is a risk, off piste, that's why we carry kit. But I think i would have gone.

But I want to learn from the more experienced here. Off-piste is risky, but I don't wish to be foolhardy. Would you guys accompany a local guide at Risk Level 4? What level (with a local guide) is acceptable to you?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
looking at the story, it's debatable. Most of the lift-sevred off piste within the ski area here is tracked out already - the only untoiched bits seem to be the flat bits and the bits that need a bit ot effort to reach,

on the other hand, the sounds of avalanche blasting has geon on all day, especially around the arc2000 bowl, and the results were clearly visible - an awful lot of snow was avalanching.

despite that, these guys went out with a local guide, and I personally would trust a local guide - especially if, as has been suggested, the slide was caused by people *above* the group who were caught with such awful consequences
snow report
I don't know the full story about our pisteur yet - I'd heard the rumour and hoped it wasn't true, but Piste-Hors confirms it. this will rock the whole community. Sad

Nick Zotov, I might go with a local guide on risk 4 - but I wouldn't go with me!
snow report
 brian
brian
I see the police are investigating the Les Arcs incident.

Hypothetically, if a reckless group triggered a slide above a safer slope which killed others, would the reckless be liable to be prosecuted ?
latest report
I wonder how the authorities look at ski schools' responsibilities in cases like this. Not referring to this catastrophe in particular, I've got no idea what the regulations are in terms of duty of care, etc.
snow report
brian wrote:
I see the police are investigating the Les Arcs incident.

Hypothetically, if a reckless group triggered a slide above a safer slope which killed others, would the reckless be liable to be prosecuted ?

Perhaps DG, who has acted as an expert witness in such types of cases, might offer some general commens ( if it is not sub-judice, etc... ). ?
snow conditions
He's a qualified high mountain guide? A snow science and/or avalanche dynamics expert? Well, he's certainly been keeping that one under his hat!...
latest report
PG wrote:
I wonder how the authorities look at ski schools' responsibilities in cases like this. Not referring to this catastrophe in particular, I've got no idea what the regulations are in terms of duty of care, etc.

You can probably google for it or I'm sure Davidoff has covered it before. But, I'm pretty sure French authorities have pursued cases in the past on people for triggering avalanches.

found it on pistehors, here
latest report
'If' the avalanche was triggered from above. I was wondering more whether there could be a case against a guide for taking this route, given the conditions.

Main report updated. If this latest information is accurate (Gendarmerie source) you have to wonder whether the ARVAs both malfunctioned, or whether they were switched on?
ski holidays
another pistehors story about guide's being arrested
snow report
Nick Zotov, i would go with a guide at level 4 but i wouldn't expect to be doing anything too exciting. if i was making the decisions; i'd keep to slopes of 20ish degrees or less, with minimal objective dangers. presence of trees would also be a positive
snow report
Not like this then.

I watched this guy come down, on his own, today up in the 2000 bowl at Les Arcs. Missed the steepest section, it had flattened out by the time I took the shot.

ski holidays
I'd agree with Arno, but be careful assuming trees give you some protection, remember the massive slide in Colorado last spring, that was in /just above trees, and I've also seen video of someone following tracks into trees when the slope goes and takes them into the trees. I guess if the avalanche didn't hurt you, bashing into trees would!

Regards,

Greg
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy