Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term 2017 on a budget - and not Lauterbrunnen!

Poster: A snowHead
Normally we take my stepdaughter away for new year, however with the way the Christmas falls this isn't feasible this year so we are looking at half term.

Returning to Camping Jungfrau seems the logical choice as it won't cost us more in accommodation than Christmas does, but I am desperate to ski elsewhere for once (Wengen is my spirit home but I'm very keen for a change of scenery).

We're on a budget, probably £800 each all in excluding food. There will be five of us, four adults, 1 child.

Any recommendations please? Is there something equivalent to camping Jungfrau somewhere else in the world?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
which half term and what are your dates as some school holidays differ Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And what is Camping Jungfrau?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:

Sort of holiday park (little chalets) cum campsite down in the valley. It's really nice, and probably the cheapest way to stay in this area.

http://www.camping-jungfrau.ch/en/ueber_uns/default.asp?Kategorie=Aktuell
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's really nice cos' it's Swiss...

Who somewhat surprisingly do budget accom very well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think there's a similar set up in Venosc, down in the valley below Deux Alpes (lift up and down, but doesn't run in the evenings).But will be busy- French school hols; I'd go to Italy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ricardosmooth wrote:
which half term and what are your dates as some school holidays differ Madeye-Smiley

That would help! 11th Feb.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Then I'd forget France. Paris holidays.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Phae88, your dates are also the main UK half term dates, with the following week the 'lesser' of the two HT weeks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Phae88, where abouts are you? I found some very cheap Manchester - Munich flights via Singapore Airlines earlier in the week (£160ish?) which would leave you quite a healthy accommodation / extras budget out of £800.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manchester - Munich via Singapore sounds a bit of a schlep....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
always29 wrote:
@Phae88, where abouts are you? I found some very cheap Manchester - Munich flights via Singapore Airlines earlier in the week (£160ish?) which would leave you quite a healthy accommodation / extras budget out of £800.

Gloucester, although half our party is Derby. Preference would be Brum otherwise Bristol or East Mids. But then if the price is right we'd do Heathrow or Manc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll add, I'd also consider Easter '17 - although wouldn't know where to start with that as its so late next year I am not sure it's worth looking? Her holidays start good Friday, so 7th April? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good Friday is 14th April next year.

Have a look at Chalets bois de champelle in Morillon for Feb half term - excellent ski area but can get busy at half term. I have skied this ski area but not stayed in that accommodation but it is the nearest I can think of to what you have experienced in Switzerland.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you go to the right place (and choice will be limited) Easter might well be better.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
pam w wrote:

Sort of holiday park (little chalets) cum campsite down in the valley. It's really nice, and probably the cheapest way to stay in this area.

How long and easy or difficult is it to get on the slopes from there?
ski holidays
jirac18 wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
pam w wrote:

How long and easy or difficult is it to get on the slopes from there?

A bus and a train so 45-60 mins.
snow report
Worth having a look at the chalets Champ Du Moulin in Venosc. Les Deux Alpes is a fab ski area and will probably be no busier than any other at half term. The lift runs until 7pm but we used to eat at lunchtime and then either cook at the campsite or book the restaurant on site.
snow report
@Phae88, quoting CHF 1,400 for a week?

That doesn't sound cheap to me!

Although at half term...but not really, really cheap...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Phae88, quoting CHF 1,400 for a week?

That doesn't sound cheap to me!

Although at half term...but not really, really cheap...

That's for the whole, admittedly small chalet-thing. So it was what, 350chf per adult for the week? When we did new year it worked out cheapest vs anywhere else.
snow report
Accommodation in France will be far cheaper - less than half the price - at Easter, which is low season. But you do need to be careful about altitude and aspect. I have an apartment in France but there are only a handful of resorts I'd choose for mid April. Lots of places will be open, but not necessarily offering great skiing conditions. But there is so much superfluous accommodation at Easter that you could book flights (which are expensive for British reasons) and leave choice of resort till the last minute. Or for maximum savings, drive.
ski holidays
Thanks, I am much keener on a carefully chosen Easter holiday over a bank account crippling half term week. Just got to convince the husband.. rolling eyes
ski holidays
I just did a holiday to Andorra in a half board hotel, with lunches from the lift company for approx £550. That includes Flights, Hotel, Car Hire, Ski Hire, Lift Pass and food. It would probably be a little more at Feb Half Term but not too much more.
snow report
AthersT wrote:
I just did a holiday to Andorra in a half board hotel, with lunches from the lift company for approx £550. That includes Flights, Hotel, Car Hire, Ski Hire, Lift Pass and food. It would probably be a little more at Feb Half Term but not too much more.

I've just checked what it cost us to go to Andorra last year at half term.

We flew into Barcelona, rented a car to drive up to Andorra, stayed at a really nice private studio flat in Pas de la Casa - the flat and the hire car came to £380 for the two of us, think the flights would have been at the £150 mark each with ski carriage etc included, and the lift pass is €240 (for the Grandvalira resort which spans about 10% of Andorra's landmass). So that's about £1k for two people, before food, which is loads less than your £800 budget - reckon the spare £300 would then pay for your food as well!

Wherever you go, if you're looking at half term, it's getting your flights booked asap which will really help keep the costs down!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy