Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Wax?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Should I wax my ski's?
If so, what product?
Just for intermediate skiing, more interested in enjoying myself rather than hammering down race style, never bothered before & wonder if it's worth doing.
Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Modern ski bases need less wax than was necessary in the old days ... except that new snow, when humid, can be very sticky. I always carry a little block of wax for rubbing on - just the lightest wax treatment like this will stop new snow sticking to the bases when the temperatures are around zero and the snow's wet.

Waxing helps protect the bases, so it's not a bad idea to have the skis hot-waxed (or learn how to do it with a little iron) every few days. It's not vital, though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
provenjohn, Don't be afraid to have a go yourself. I did my ski's for the first time last week and was surprised at how easy (and enjoyable Cool ) it is.
There is a guide on the toko website on how to wax your bases.

The main thing to be careful of is not to have the iron too hot. Experiment first of all until you get the lowest setting on your iron which will melt the wax, then away you go!

A search on 'Waxing' will produce a multitude of threads on this subject and will provide you with lots of information.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
provenjohn, Yes it's worth doing - been mentioned here lots of times. Your edges will benefit from some attention too - a quick, daily, de-burr with a stone will help them grip all week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
provenjohn, and http://www.zardoznotwax.com/ has an excellent liquid Teflon product that works a treat for sticky snow.
We need a plastics engineer to give us the poop on all the new base material developments. AS DG says, there have been a lot of developments. I was watching Ski Sunday last week and there was a close-up of one of the competitors skis and the bases looked kacked out! All dry and grey along the edges and some noticeable rock damage ... yup we need some feedback from those that design the stuff under our feet.

But I do like the liquid Teflon stuff ... usually lasts a couple of days ... and very slippery
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, That looks good to me, thanks, will give it a go.
Thanks to everyone for advice.
Look forward to going faster!
Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, I'll second that - tried the zardoz stuff last year and it really adds some zip - put it on in the evenings (the skis hopefully) and it prevents your edges rusting as well. Makes your wax last a bit longer too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, Just purchased some from Summits. I'll give it a try!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ordered some in the states and a mate is taking "not wax" over with him will give it a go this weekend
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well the Zardoz worked well in cold snow at Arcs - after 5 days sking my bases still haven't been waxed out. And my zipping on the flat sections left my mates behind each day Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy