Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

park city

Poster: A snowHead
hi all
thinking about trip to park city for next year .
would love some info on hotels , is it worth staying at base area or in town .
resort transport the free buses and how to get to alta snowbird without a car .
hopefully planning for beginning of march for 2 weeks .
whats the runs like , etc .
wondered if any snowheads have been .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed in a self catering condo in Park City, but had a car to get to Canyons, Deer Valley and over to Snowbird, Alta etc

However a good option maybe to stay in Salt Lake City itself and use the bus service to get to the various resorts http://www.visitsaltlake.com/skicity/getting-around/ski-bus/

It's not _that_ far from SLC into Little Cottonwood Canyon for Snowbird/Alta or Big Cottonwood for Solitude/Brighton, but is quite a hike from Park City as you have to head all the way North, then West on Hwy-80 back to SLC to get to these resorts.

AFAIK there isn't a connection over the pass from Park City to Snowbird/Alta
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Downtown Park City is probably best location for evening ents. Canyons village best for ski in out. If you really want to go to alta/bird you'll need a car or to stay elsewhere. Rentals are cheap enough and handy for trips to Kimball Jct shops and outlet mall.

The skiing depends on the snow cover unsurprisingly, the new mega Park City is kinda strung out horizontally without super vert off any lift, great if you like that kind of "tour" experience, far better resorts in N America IMV if you like to ski downhill predominantly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes, Has it spot on with
Quote:

The skiing depends on the snow cover unsurprisingly, the new mega Park City is kinda strung out horizontally without super vert off any lift, great if you like that kind of "tour" experience, far better resorts in N America IMV if you like to ski downhill predominantly.

Park City doesn't get the best or most snow in UT wink and although is a large resort now, they have joined it to Canyons wouldn't be my first choice. Havent skied there the past 4 years even though we have still been to UT.

Personally I'd stay SLC area and drive, its 40 mins approx. to PC from SLC areas what you save on hotel costs will probably pay for the car Smile This gives you the chance to experience the front side as well as the back of the Wasatch.
If you stay in Park City you will probably purchase the Epic pass( which is what Vail wants ) and so wont visit anywhere else.

If you are set on staying at Park City, why not go there for a week then head down to SLC and stay there for a week and ski the Cottonwoods, giving you the best of both. Park City doesn't have a base and town, the town is at the base of the mountain, and a car gives you so much freedom.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Park City is popular with tourists.

Personally I have stayed in SLC and used the buses, although they're cheap but I don't remember they were free. You can get your lift tickets cheaper in the town. It's a hugely more cultural experience and you get your pick of all the hills. The bus will get you everywhere near the city, and there are pick ups around the city so you can stay where you like. They're obviously happy with boards and boots. That gets you to all the local hills, which I think are significantly better depending on conditions of course.

Snowbird is small and it really helps if you know your way around. The piste gets tracked quickly (and the first tram is for season pass holders...) but the rest of it takes a while. If the snow's good then a trip to Powder Mountain is worth considering (you'll need a car) - you can get fresh tracks in bounds days after a storm out there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All of a sudden everybody is against Park City? Puzzled

Village of Park City is quite nice. The short bus ride to the mountain is convenient.

Getting to Alta/Snowbird without a car is difficult. But the last I heard, there're "package" that includes lift and bus ride. I always hire a car because it's relatively inexpensive. It comes in handy when I need to go to the supermarket also.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@f1l, what we done last year was stay at the Park City Peaks which is in between PC and Canyons (there are other hotels there too) and use the free bus to both resorts. We also hired a car for Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton which was easy enough and quite cheap. There were various trips available at the hotel to the other mountains including Alta and powder mountain so don't worry if you don't want to hire a car. We went to SLC for the day and it was way to warm and sunny to be a permanent base for me. If you need any other info let me know.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have been to park city many times as my brother in law lived there for 16 years. I have to laugh at the comment that it doesn't get as good snow as other Utah resorts. Every time I have been the quality and amount of snow leaves anything I have ever experienced in Europe in the shade( champagne powder) .I really like the way that only some runs are groomed and they leave a lot of in bounds off piste. There were quite a few short steep pistes between the trees that regularly had snow up to my knees which were great to learn off piste .
Now that the Canyons and Park city have merged I would stay in town ,then you can take the old park city town lift up to mid mountain.Dont know if they have a barrier on it now but they never used to and it was a bit scary particularly in a storm .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Angus og wrote:
I have to laugh at the comment that it doesn't get as good snow as other Utah resorts. .

Well objectively its true, and if you've never hit Utah during a drought or high temp spell I'd suggest you've been lucky. I've skied there 3 times and have yet to truly experience real over head blower pow (to be fair I did get a pretty good 6 inch day at Snowbasin once before I broke my leg to conclude the day & the trip).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also in fairness I realise that the last couple of years have not been so good. When the colony was sold my brother in law sold up and moved to San Diego. We now get beach holidays rather than free ski trips. Suits my wife but not me. Thinking about going back next year though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for all the comments .
so it seems town prob best to stay , although free bus everywhere .
and there are ski awayday trips to solitude alta etc .
its one to tick off my ski bucket list .
was thinking they are prob heavily promoting it this year , as resorts are connected now , and the new direct flights from heathrow .
was hoping because of this there would be some good deals on offer through the uk tour ops .
waiting on a few quotes , let you know what they come back at .
thanks everyone .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For one week, the above advice is good.

For TWO weeks, you may consider seeing more than just Park City & Canyons. Or even changing base so you can access other mountain more conveniently.

I skied Canyons almost every year -- good friend has a house there. I do get antsy to go some place else after a few days. Even combined, it's not exactly huge (actually, in terms of numbers, it's big, but there's a lot of "same-ness" in a lot of the runs). With so many other great mountains around, it'd be a shame not to.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ive skied a lot of canadian resorts , and a few usa ones , big sky , heavenly , squaw , winterpark , my next big trip would be my 50th birthday in 2 years , hoping to road trip around Oregon and ski hood stay in the timberline lodge that sort of thing .
Utah was a place I wanted to try for its reputation for champagne powder , and its closeness to the desert , and the short transfers from the airport , guess the flight from uk would be roundabout 10 hrs

abc I do get bored with a lot of same runs , but thought now its interconnected would be ok for 2 weeks , if not ski away day in another resort . im getting to old to ski for a whole 2 weeks anyway Smile
I saw park city as being somewhat of a skitown , a bit akin to fernie , maybe im wrong .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh it's a whole lot different to Fernie. Think of it as a Fernie where Calgary was 30 mins down the road and plagued with smog & Mormon politics so the rich and outsdoors types had migrated to a more laissez faire conurbation with attendant traffic & construction etc etc & Hollywood turns up once a year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Be aware of the Sundance Film Festival which takes place in Park City every year. 2017 dates are January 19 - January 29. Accommodation will be scarce and restaurants full.

Don't think the slopes are affected much but I have always avoided PC at Sundance times.
snow conditions
hi all
booked for next year .
my itinery
fly heathrow to la connect to salt lake city
9 days canyons resort staying in the silverado lodge
pick up suv at airport
2 days moab see arches and canyonlands national parks
1 day monument valley
1 day lake powell resort
1 day majestic lodge zion national park
3 days las vegas monte carlo resort
fly out vegas to gatwick
well pleased and all for the price of £2600 pp
snow conditions
f1l,
Excellent! That sounds like good value - and a great itinerary.

Are you a cyclist and, if so, are you planning to do any mountain biking in Moab? It's one of the best (and most unique) mountain biking destinations in the world! We've been twice and loved it! Very Happy
snow report
f1l wrote:
hi all
booked for next year .
my itinery
fly heathrow to la connect to salt lake city
9 days canyons resort staying in the silverado lodge
pick up suv at airport
2 days moab see arches and canyonlands national parks
1 day monument valley
1 day lake powell resort
1 day majestic lodge zion national park
3 days las vegas monte carlo resort
fly out vegas to gatwick
well pleased and all for the price of £2600 pp

Just booked a trip with the bit in bold myself - but we're going in late Aug/Sep this year and driving from Denver through Aspen and Telluride (obviously before any snow arrives). Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy