Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Bansko dangers!

Poster: A snowHead
Lucky those rental boots were too big and came off easily!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/londoner-cheats-death-on-ski-slopes-in-survival-tale-reminiscient-of-the-revenant-a3217101.html

A Londoner has told how he cheated death after he escaped from a pack of wolves in his bare feet following a skiing accident in scenes reminiscent of Oscar-winning film The Revenant.

Janveer Sandhu, 30, of Ilford, said his “survival instinct” kicked in when he was left stranded as he hit a tree on the slopes in Bansko, Bulgaria.

The Sun reported the project manager ate snow to stay alive during a night alone on a mountain and ditched his heavy ski boots to make a getaway from the wolves.

His extraordinary tale of survival took place on the second day of a ski holiday with a friend.

Mr Sandhu told The Sun: “My face went straight into the tree. My nose was bleeding. I was completely alone.

“I saw three wolves coming my way. My survival instinct kicked in. My heart was beating so fast.

“I started to move away but I realised I was going too slowly. I decided to give up on my skis and my heavy boots.

“My adrenaline had kicked in. I wasn’t thinking about my feet — I just wanted to save my life.

“At some points I was buried up to my waist in the snow.

“When night fell I couldn’t see a thing. My body was tired. I did everything to get out of where I was. I decided to find a safe space and to wait until morning.

“I was so thirsty I was eating snow to keep hydrated. I was trying to keep myself awake.”

“I just thought ‘I’m going to live, I am alive, I am not going to die in the mountains’. I cheated death.”

The paper reported Mr Sandhu managed to hitch a lift to a ski shop after he stumbled upon a road.

His legs were saved from amputation by doctors in the Bulgarian capital Sofia and now he is being treated for severe frostbite at a hospital in Essex, it added.

In the hit film, Hugh Glass, portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio, survives a bear attack before fighting for survival in the American wilderness
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm possibly embroidered his tale slightly- I can't think what sort of dumbass abandons their boots in snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buried up to waste and managed to outrun wolves? What was he drinking? Jet fuel with red bull? Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely no exaggerations in a story from the Sun?!?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why didn't he just get back on his skis and carry on down the mountain? I smell cowd00.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm.. sounds like dangly bits to me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wolves are quite common in Bulgaria and almost completely harmless to humans.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wolves approaching, I know I'll take off my boots. It takes me a good minute to take my boots off. Maybe he thought the smell would scare them away.

Think he's just watched Frozen.

Total bull!!!!!

Andy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It does sound very suspicious. Quote " I started to move away but I realised I was going too slowly. I decided to give up on my skis and my heavy boots." If you are concerned that you might be attacked by a wolf/wolves (rather unlikely) I would have thought that a ski swung at arms's length would have made a pretty effective weapon at keeping a wolf away or incapacitating it, not to mention that a nice solid ski boot lets you get in a pretty good kick too. Certainly better than not having them with you...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
People don't always think rationally in situations of severe stress.

And while many people know taht wolves rarely attack humans, it is perfectly possible he didn't, so was scared stiff.

On the surface the story does look like total BS, but the fact he is being treated in hospital for frostbite and (apparently) nearly had to have his legs amputated does suggest that at least part of his story is true.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now, I don't know how fast wolves move but I'm pretty sure that I could ski faster. I'm absolutely sure that I could ski faster than I could run. So why did he (allegedly) ditch the skis?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tubaski wrote:
Now, I don't know how fast wolves move but I'm pretty sure that I could ski faster. I'm absolutely sure that I could ski faster than I could run. So why did he (allegedly) ditch the skis?

I think we all know that the story makes no sense so we must assume he is either a liar, fantasist, idiot, totally inexperienced in the outdoors, incapable of making even rudimentary rational decisions under stress, drunk, high or some combination of these.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I think we all know that the story makes no sense so we must assume he is either a liar, fantasist, idiot, totally inexperienced in the outdoors, incapable of making even rudimentary rational decisions under stress, drunk, high or some combination of these.

Sounds like he was drunk, got separated from friends, made some stupid decisions and is trying to dress his story up as more extreme than it actually was.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the face of it it would also appear he doesn't have the best friends. Where were they?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like the kind of story an 18 year old tells their mum to cover up drunken antics Very Happy

I'm amazed that he's been lying in hospital (for what I can only assume is a lengthy stay) and didn't come up with something more plausible.

The main question I have is why didn't he just ski away? If it's because he couldn't find his skis, how many of us in that situation would look for a quick getaway by sitting down in the snow to take our boots off? And having done that how many would then cast the boot aside? It's all fiction, no doubt to cover up for some drink/drug fuelled apres excess.
latest report
April Fool?
ski holidays
Apparently not given it apparently happened in early Feb. The Torygraph cribbing heavily from the Daily Hatemail avoids accusations of direct copying by having him "consumed" rather than "confused" by signs as the original reason for getting lost. He gets lost in the woods then has a line of sight of a few hundred metres to see the wolves. Wouldn't want him on a witness stand.
snow report
I think it's a cover up for the rental shop. He got pissed and lost his skis and boots, but didn't want to have to pay the rental shop. It's a bit like "The dog ate my homework, sir" at school, but someone heard it and it ended up in the papers.
snow conditions
It's not just Bansko.

In St. Foy last week our guide showed us a photo of a deer carcass he had found almost certainly attacked by a wolf or wolves on an off piste route. I do not remember the name of the route but looking up the mountain it is accessed by a longish traverse to the left. All that was left of the deer were the head and hooves. All the flesh had been stripped from the body just leaving the bones.

It seems that wolves were introduced into an Italian national park across the border and have made their way into France. We were told that they were more afraid of humans than we are of them, but I did wonder about that a bit when I was back marking on that same route.

Watch out in the Tarentaise.
snow report
I do not profess to be a lupine expert but AIUI wolves are naturally quite cautious and definitely unlikely to attack non prey species. And being pack animals less likely in old age or other illness to revert to human attacks as for example cougars may do.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
And being pack animals less likely in old age or other illness to revert to human attacks as for example cougars may do.

Indeed. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I was out in Banff years ago when a lady XC skier was killed by a cougar. It attacked a husky, then went on to kill the lady the next day.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cougar-kills-woman-in-banff-park-1.287208
snow report
And if he saw 3 wolves where were the rest of the pack? Wonder if they have rescue dogs in Bankso wink ?
latest report
This was a tale 99% Chinese whispers and taken totally out of context by the press
ski holidays
Did these wolves have big mammaries. I wonder?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy