Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it feasible to Fly with Ryanair?

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, but the average commercial pilot dies in their 60s.

It is a very unhealthy job. Odd hours (shiftwork), stress of flying, dirty cabin air, the wife finding out about the stewardess, etc.[/quote]

WTF Puzzled They have annual medicals. You don't make any sense? As with any job you do your best to keep fit, eat well etc. If you are a couch potato, eat badly etc then yes but you can say that about any job. At least with an annual medical issues get picked up earlier. Anyway, what was the question??? Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@andy,
Quote:

Won't be any stacks at NUE, just like there aren't at Hahn, Wesel, or Baden Baden either.
You wouldn't have thought so, but we stacked for about 40 minutes to get into Chambery on a quiet day in Feb. Apparently they have a system of letting a few flights take-off, then having a tea break and then letting a few flights land. I'm not talking about other commercial aircraft, just the odd microlight and a couple of pigeons.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@emmaski, an American study found that commercial pilots had a life expectancy 3 years less than their non-pilot peer group. I think it was 67 compared to 70.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gaza wrote:
@emmaski, an American study found that commercial pilots had a life expectancy 3 years less than their non-pilot peer group. I think it was 67 compared to 70.
Another study found they live five years longer. Anyway, I would find it hard to believe they had a shorter life expectancy bearing in mind that compared to average they are better educated, their health is more carefully monitored, they are less likely to be obese, they probably drink and smoke less, and they are not involved in manual labour.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting article on air quality in commercial airliners,

http://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/cabin-air-quality/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe it is the case that on average 1 worker dies every day in an industrial accident in the UK. I find it difficult to feel terribly sorry for airline pilots especially now I know that the even junior ones earn twice as much as junior doctors, after a lot less training.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@foxtrotzulu, you must be referring to this FAA study:-

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Regularly fly Ryanair. Clean planes, timely departures and low prices. If you are incapable of weighing your bag before leaving the house or forget to print your own boarding cards then you pay for your own stupidity.

You are splitting hairs if you compare comfort and service levels between the budget airlines.

My only grumble with budget airlines is changing departure times after purchase. Because I book flights very early this has occurred on a few occasions but it would not make me select a more expensive airline.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike-H wrote:
You are splitting hairs if you compare comfort and service levels between the budget airlines.

Easyjet does not exact a punitive charge on those who don't check before arrival at the airport. It also allows you to check in to your return flight before leaving home without forcing you to pay extra for an allocated seat. If you are on a week's holiday, Ryanair forces you to either check in during your holiday (inconvenient) or forces you to purchase a pre-allocated seat (that I don't want) in order to be allowed to check in more than 7 days before departure. It's a transparent technique to gouge as much as possible extra above the headline price.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dogwatch, the BP fee has gone down from £40 (I think) to £15 so no longer as punitive as it once was. If you have a Smartphone you can check-in via the app and get an electronic BP. However, I do agree with your comments that 30 day rule is designed to get people to part with their cash for seats. As I said earlier, you have to do a full price up to understand whether you are better off with FR or going somewhere else.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gaza wrote:
. If you have a Smartphone you can check-in via the app

I do but not everyone I travel with does.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fly with Ryanair a lot, use them for ski trips very often. Never had a problem. Once I even missed a flight, and they were most helpful trying to get me sorted.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just a couple of non peer reviewed thoughts on pilot mortality.

Amongst my many ex RAF buddies who fly, they find that long haul with the cumulative jet lag is very fatiguing post 50 and I believe there is medical evidence that it is not good for you. Quite a few have gone part time or reverted to short haul. I was certainly told that doing 2 days 2 nights 4 off was detrimental to health after the age of 50 by an RAF doc who had studied cumulative fatigue. (So I retired to the Alps at 48 and cured that issue.

Secondly, flying, both civil and military, is all encompassing and is a lifestyle rather than a 'job'. You are constantly being reassessed and rules regs and procedures are continually changing. So a lot of folk that fly for 40 years are at a loss as to what to do with all the spare time and give up - unless of course you have a second life planned - guess what mine was wink . Another piece of advice on leaving the military after a full career was that if you made it through the first 3 years (when there was high mortality) then you could look forward to a long retirement.

Additionally, there was a very heavy drinking culture in aviation (both sides) which has now gone but a lot wil be paying th eprice for sitting by the pool on week long layovers drinking themselves into oblivion, they are alos long gone!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

there was a very heavy drinking culture in aviation

I wasn't going to mention that as I assumed it was just the pilots that moved in the same circles as me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think it can be shown that you are at higher risk of having a fatal accident driving to/from the airport than on an actual flight
snow report
You are probably at greatest danger from apoplectic seizure watching Michael O'Leary being interviewed.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
You are probably at greatest danger from apoplectic seizure watching Michael O'Leary being interviewed.

I think he is fascinating to listen to. He comes out with some real gems and at other times almost Gerald Ratner type comments. I was on the shuttle bus from Stansted to the Car Hire Centre recently and he was onboard. There was a lot of craic between him and other passengers. The bus was packed and he was standing and some wise guy said to him "It is just like being on a Ryanair plane." He quipped back; "But at least you still get a seat on our planes. For the time being anyway."

Once he got in to the building he joined the end of long queue at Hertz and at no point did he try DYKWIA. Cool Cool
snow conditions
I have also had two independent people, one an air traffic controller and one a pilot tell me that they would never fly Ryanair, just saying......
latest report
Quote:

at no point did he try DYKWIA.

...probably a good reason for that Twisted Evil
snow report
If you're taking luggage and skis, it can work out quite expensive to fly with Ryanair. But hand luggage only and it makes sense. They're the only airline that fly to Salzburg on some week days from Stansted, the only other option is BA from Gatwick. Shame there are no flights to Salzburg from anywhere further north.
latest report
Pilots sit down all day which is never good for health. They also get a much higher dose of ionising radiation from space than joe public, hence the earlier death rate.

I've flown loads of times with Ryanair. I never pay for ski carriage, just rock up with a big looking 15kg bag and blag my way through without paying.

If you're paying £50 for a return flight to Italy you can' really expect too much. I pay more than that get the train from Norwich to London return.

Commercial flight is one of the most regulated industries in the world. You're far more likely to die driving to the airport than flying Ryanair or any other major airline to for that matter.

Like all industries, odd complainers have the loudest voices. The hundreds of thousands who fly every week just get on and off quietly and get on with their lives
ski holidays
I'm pleased to hear Ryanair is flying to Nuremberg, I may take the trip.
It takes 90 mins to drive from NUE to Kitzbuhel on a good day or night.

Its a great little airport or was when I used to go there.
I could chain my bike up an a Friday night and fly home.
Then fly back monday morning, and cycle to work in 10 minutes.

I think Ryanair is a brilliant airline now they have cleaned up their act, but it does cost a fortune to take luggage.
The worst part for me was the selling of "Scratch Cards" and the annoying fan fair on every landing bragging about how "yet another on time arrival".
latest report
You must be driving faster than Lewis Hamilton to get from Nuremberg to Kitzbuhel in 90 minutes. I'd have thought 3-4 hours...
snow report
AA route planner says 184 miles, 3 and a bit hours. AA route planner tends to the optimistic IME.
snow conditions
The annoying fanfare heralding another on-time arrival is, of course, a load of old bullocks. Ryanair, like one or two others, are very 'generous' when it comes to estimating flight times so even their late arrivals appear to be ahead of schedule! Not my favourite airline (Swiss is!) but I'll use them if I have no other choice regarding destination, departure airport etc.
snow conditions
ROFL@ 90 minutes. You can barely even get from MUC to Austrian alps in 90minutes.
I've driven that bit of A9. In 90 minutes, there is a serious probability that you're a long way short of even reaching the A99 Munich ring.
Google might say twice that, but I'd say even that is optimistic, using my drives from Frankfurt-Innsbruck as a reference.

Yes it is feasible, but MUC, INN and SZG and FMM are more feasible, depending on ultimate destintion.
ski holidays
Swissie wrote:
I have also had two independent people, one an air traffic controller and one a pilot tell me that they would never fly Ryanair, just saying......

There are loads of people who say they will never fly Ryanair.

Most commonly because they dislike the marketing/charging practices.

I haven't seen anybody previously express any significant doubts about their safety, nor seen anybody give that as a reason why they will never fly Ryanair.
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
I'm pleased to hear Ryanair is flying to Nuremberg, I may take the trip.
It takes 90 mins to drive from NUE to Kitzbuhel on a good day or night.

296 Km (185 miles) in 90 minutes???

That is averaging about 120mph. Pushing it just a tad.

Google maps suggests twice that time with no traffic delays.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I flew with Ryanair from Manchester to Lisbon and couldn't recommend them more.

My experience's:
- Same as any company for pre-flight dealings - online check in etc
- My flight was on time, even set off on time.
- Comfortable flight seating with good feet space
- Landed on time
- Bags were waiting for me on the carousel in Lisbon
- Out of the airport the quickest I've ever been after coming off a flight.

With any service you are going to have poor service from time to time, however my experience and millions of others have been great and Ryanair do exactly what you pay cheap prices for, get you from A to B efficiently. Ryanair was as good, if not better as the likes of Jet2, Thomson, EasyJet, Thomas Cook and BMI.

If the price is good, go for it.
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, you must be referring to this FAA study:-

Need some more-modern data.

Pilots die young, usually in their 60s.

Commercial pilots are basically shiftworkers in a flying factory of dirty air:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141206175102-4404516-pilot-s-die-sooner-than-others
latest report
I accept that you get what you pay for and was happy to travel with them untill...

My parents traveled with them to Ireland (MAN-DUB) a few years ago. My mother walked with a stick and was told at Manchester she had to check it in (security precaution at the time) but would be provided with a wheel chair and coming back was the same. All resonable, accept Ryanair charged for the wheel chair. Some reading and it turned out Ryanair had been previously taken to court more than once and lost, paid damages/fines ... and then just carried on doing the same. So , they are a company I'd rather not do business with, unless I have no alternative and I always have had.

Mr O'Leary's view on the Iclandic ash cloud problem a few years ago seemed to be it should be up to the airline to decide whether it was safe to fly and the CAA should stay out of it was also rather offputting
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
They are the worst airline in the Western Hemisphere.

Wrong. That'll be any airline that has you on board.
snow report
@adithorp, Ryanair’s haven’t charged for wheelchairs for many years. At one time they passed on the full cost (i.e. what the airport charged them) to passengers who needed mobility assistance. When they lost a discrimination case in 2004 they then then levied a 50p “Wheelchair Surcharge” across all their passengers and showed this as an extra charge. This disappeared a couple of years later.
ski holidays
Quote:
many airlines are now opening up routes from non-London airports as it's so hard to get landing slots

Is this really true? I'm staggered. I've been largely ignoring these irritating adverts you see scattered about middle England harping on about the benefits of Heathrow extra runway.

In light of your comment I shall now proceed to get thoroughly pissed off with them and fume greatly at the injustice of the southern powermongers spreading cowdoo and misinformation to make life even more difficult for the rejected minority that live outside the M25
snow report
Quote:
Where are you going to ski? Isn't it likely to be quite a drive from Nuremburg?

Quote:
Curious about Nuremburg airport as a choice for skiing. Spose it's an hour or two closer to slopes than Frankfurt.

Quote:
Just seems odd, saving on flights and ending up with a much longer and presumably more expensive transfer.

We'll get the train. Our trip at half term this year was a revelation. Train from Muc to St Anton was easy, fast and wee wee cheap. Like properly cheap. I think we paid around £100 for the four of us. The whole holiday cost us around £2.8k for everything bar ski insurance (ie including food, beer, lessons, passes, souvenirs, transport, accomm)

The year before we flew to Frankfurt then drove to Wolkenstein. That was a bit of a hassle, but again only around £2.5k for a family of four at half term.

This year LuftH seem to have cottoned on to the fact that their prices were too cheap. ManMuc and ManFra are both over £1k return for the four of us.

Whereas ManNue is only £360 + ski postage, and the train from Nue to St Anton is just as easy as from MUC airport, and only an hour longer. It's not ideal, but I like to do a few foreign holidays in the year and it's only possible if you keep the costs down. A transfer that is 3 hours longer than necessary is well worth £600 saving on flights in my view.

Oh and another thing, we can stop off at the best waterslides in Europe* at Kristall Palm Beach on the way through Nuremberg as well. And indeed get a couple of nights at the inlaws as well Happy

* maybe
latest report
TheGeneralist wrote:

This year LuftH seem to have cottoned on to the fact that their prices were too cheap. ManMuc and ManFra are both over £1k return for the four of us.

Well you know what they say. Where there's MUC there's brass.
snow report
+1 for Gazza. Was amazed by the utterly ridiculous comments of Whitegold. I live in Mierlo and regularly fly Eindhoven -Manchester. Perfect.
snow report
emmaski wrote:
Again more comments on price and their ticket T and Cs, not safety Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled The mind boggles??
Just google the safety records of European airlines and you'll find Ryanair do quite well, ahead of many big name operators you may feel should be safer.

The main thing I don't like personally about euro "low cost" airlines is their cost - they're actually mostly not that cheap, especially if you fly with snowboards. If they're going where I want to go, I'm happy to use them.

Munich? Yes, perfect for some parts of Austria, I use it all the time. Weissbier on tap in departures - what's not to like? Germany has many nasty airports, that's not one of them.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:

Munich? Yes, perfect for some parts of Austria, I use it all the time. Weissbier on tap in departures - what's not to like? Germany has many nasty airports, that's not one of them.

I suspect that may depend on which terminal you are using. I've only flown from Munich once, which was with BA to Heathrow last summer, using Terminal 1, and was decidedly unimpressed with the departures area. Only one food outlet, with very limited choice.

The only other German airport I have flown from is Cologne, and I thought that much better, although again, that may depend on terminal. From Cologne most of my flights were always with Germanwings with one flight using KLM, which meant I was using Terminal 1 there apart from the first time.

Though if we had flown through Munich previously, we probably would have eaten in the attached shopping centre before going through security.
snow conditions
Quote:

The main thing I don't like personally about euro "low cost" airlines is their cost

Whivh is why I think they should be called "everything is an extra charge" airlines
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy