Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bormio 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We are thinking of various resorts for our 2017 trip. Anyone out there skied Bormio? Would it keep a family of four intermediates going for 4 days?
Are there many bars/restaurants in the town?
What's the terme spa like?
Is is easy to go to Livigno for a days skiing if you have your own hire car?

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was there last week
Yes enough for intermediates over 4 days if you include all the areas on the ski pass (both local Bormio ski areas and Santa Caterina plus possibly Livigno)
Lots
Don't know but you can get a ski/spa pass including visits (each day you choose ski or spa not both)
It's ok if there isn't any recent snow but not super easy and with fresh snow it would definitely require winter tyres and maybe snow chains to be used plus it isn't that quick and there was bad traffic when I returned

Depending on the ski pass you buy you can get free bus travel to all the included ski resorts so this is probably the best option. Parking is 2 Euro at the main Bormio and Santa Caterina lifts. There is some free parking at the second Bormio ski area and at some lifts in Livigno i.e. the first one you reach coming over from Bormio but you'd need to be there by a good time. If there isn't recent snow and you take your car to Livigno make sure you fill up at the petrol stations there as it is a LOT cheaper than elsewhere.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Millom, very helpful and much appreciated
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, We skied Bormio for 5 days at half term this year. Spent 2 days each at Bormio and San Colombano with a day at Santa Catarina. Plenty to keep you going for 4 days even without Livigno.

There is a good selection of bars and restaurants in the town, and good mountain eateries and coffee stops. Prices were a lot cheaper and quality/service much better than we have found in our traditional french alpine haunts. The town centre of Bormio is beautiful with cobbled streets and small squares - worth a visit any time of the year.

The terme spa in the town is worth a visit - this isn't the one in the beautiful hotel setting. It has the feel of a large council leisure complex but once in it is relaxing and well worth an evening trip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dhorst
Much appreciated. Are the ski areas linked or are they easy to navigate to?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The areas aren't linked.
The main Bormio3000 area is at one end of the town, San Colombano is a couple of miles out of Bormio and Santa Catarina is a 15 minute drive up the valley. All easy to get to with a car.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well worth the effort to get there. Some really long vertical. Cheap as chips in resort and on the hill. Lovely pre-historic town.

The ancient spa goes back to Roman times.

And Santa Catarina is a wee gem.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went end of March last year. 3-day lift pass was 88 Euros inc. Santa Catalina. Ryanair flights to Bergamo plus car hire did the whole thing for 2 adults and a baby at £650 including spending. Amazing value for a beautiful town and decent long-weekend ski area (as others say vertical is huge which also meant late season snow was fine at least to gondola station). Note the roman spa doesn't let under 14s but one in town will. For eating can highly recommend the Osteria la Bajona in main square for some local dishes. Santa Catalina is definitely worth a day. Skiing is not extensive but the long blacks down the front side of the hill are true leg burners. Over the back is particularly beautiful on a clear day.

Only downside was long transfer (~3 hours) and make sure you book early as accommodation seems to sell out fast.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Deibitto, much appreciated, it's definitely the next place for us given your comments. Cheers
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skied in Bormio march 2016 and loved it. The La Motta ski area (10 min free bus from town) is the best skiing in have ever done in 25 years. It has a perfect bar/restaurant at the bottom.

The old spa up the mountain pass was great fun but next time i will use the council one in town. I think they have a cheap night on Wednesday ?

Amazing burgers in 'be white' at bottom of main ski area in Bormio. I know it is Italy and we should be eating proper food, but they were amazing burgers.

Every Monday evening the tourist office run a surprisingly good open air party for tourists in the main square. Free food and local drinks.

We hired a car at Milan and drive up. The first half is pretty and on dual carriage way. However it soon goes into a 2 lane(one up/ one down) road with speed limitations. Next time I will get train from Milan to Tirano then bus up the final bit to Bormio.

Also, car parking spaces are at a bit of a premium in Bormio.

Large super market 'le corti' as you enter Bormio.

Cheap eateries are the supermarket cafe, the bus station bar/restaurant. Also worth trying the bar Roma (I think ?) On via Roma, near the clock tower. They have 'aperitivo' which is something like 5 euro for a drink plus the buffet. Worth also trying sunrise pizzeria and restaurant. It looks small from the entrance but opens up downstairs.

Not that many bars for good apres ski but still a great place.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Macro, when were you thinking of going? It is a good place to visit with long run from the top to the bottom and good value as well. We were there for the English Alpine champs at Feb half term in 2015
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are going in Feb 17 and looking forward to it! Thanks for all the advice
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The free ski bus to San Colombano + to Santa Caterina - is only 'free' if you have a 2 day or more ski pass. You need to 'touch in' on entry to bus.

Otherwise you can pay on the bus or buy a ticket at the main bus station - although I have not tried this last 2 methods.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Macro wrote:
We are going in Feb 17 and looking forward to it! Thanks for all the advice

Marco, how did you get on with Bormio ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy