Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Storage wax options

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm looking for a wax to use as a storage wax for some skis to maintain over the summer. Any suggestions? Obviously looking for something a bit cheaper than the snow wax I use!

Thanks all.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just wax them ready for. Next use and leave them. No point in buying another wax. Not much point iin storage wax at all really given there's nothing to dry the skis out sitting in a house Or garage. all you need to do is make sure they are dry.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@joeyg, I just use the softest of the datawax waxes I have -sort the edges, soft wax and hot scrape to clean the bases, then an application of a soft wax, and leave on until I prepare them for the next trip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@joeyg, try this http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/wax-zardoz/vola-cleaning-base-prep-uni-wax-200g-detail.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swix BP88 is pretty much perfect for this.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@radar, that is what I use as hot scrape and storage wax. I'll leave it on and only scrape it when I need the skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. Really useful.

Joe
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anybody aware of the mechanism by which Ski bases dry out in any situation, indoors or out? I'm struggling to understand the concept of HDPE drying out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just wax them with whatever you normally do and don't scrape them until just before next use. But I agree with others, storage wax makes no real difference (IME) if they are dry and stored indoors. Most damage occurs when people leave a set of skis in a damp ski bag on return from their last trip and find the edges all rusted and pitted at the start of the following season. Over the years I've stored many pairs of skis sometimes with wax, sometimes without and I honestly couldn't tell any difference. I do actually have some "storage" wax I got from The Piste Office years ago. It's just a cheap general purpose wax and also useful for hot scrape cleaning.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowdave, ....the wibbly wobbly way is full of thousands of sites which state '...so the bases dry out...' and no one offers any mechanisms for this. There are none, I believe. I think that its simply easier to have a pair of skis with storage wax, which in the first morning's skiing - in a rush, in a cold cold car park, we can swiftly scrape the bases and brush them to a high polish.

A few - just a few sites - state 'there's nothing to dry out', and some explain that the whiteness which some people attribute to 'oxidation' is simply abrasion hairs from the PTEX - white because they disperse light. I do indeed wax my skis before storing them, since some of them live in the garage in Switzerland (not the top quality skis, just rock skis and old pairs - and the long off-piste skis which we can't find a place for in the chalet). The wax protects the edges from corrosion, and that's the reason we whack it on. I use whatever is the lowest grade wax in the box - most frequently some Toko Universal hydrocarbon.

I would align my views with '...Over the years I've stored many pairs of skis sometimes with wax, sometimes without and I honestly couldn't tell any difference....'. Nor me. But I wax them to protect the edges...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2, thanks for that - does that mean you also wax the side edges if part of the purpose is to protect them? Whilst I get plenty of drips over the side edges when waxing, they are by no means universally covered.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowdave, yes I get the same partial coverage, but slathering it on slightly in excess when simply conventionally waxing the bases seems to work, I don't bother with any additional waxing of the side edges. And this in an underground garage which occasionally gets a bit over-damp from a tedious leak through the concrete.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zardos Notwax is also very good for preventing edge corrosion in storage and takes just a few seconds to apply. Basically just rub it on both the bases and edges. Notwax is great if you don't have time to apply a hot storage wax and also works really well on top of hot wax as a finishing coat. Also prevents that white "dried out base look" if you can't be bothered to wax very often. I use it daily on all our skis, with or without conventional hot wax.

http://www.zardoznotwax.com
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Zardos Notwax is also very good for preventing edge corrosion in storage and takes just a few seconds to apply.

So does a candle but costs about 1000 times less, or just wipe them dry.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

or just wipe them dry.

point taken on wax being cheaper but if you are storing in a slightly damp cave or garage as many of us have to then wiping dry won't be enough.

All of our skis went into summer wax that covers the edges using the regular wax ready to be scraped, brushed and topped with zardos just before first use next season. I only used zardos for the first time last season and I do like it, particularly in the mild conditions we got at Easter. Invested in a workshop bottle to live in our cave.
latest report
Ok if it's a bit damp then fair enough wax or put them in a decent bag but buying another wax and calling it a special storage wax and then just scraping it off and re waxing again at the start of next season with your special skiing wax to me is a ridiculous waste of effort, glad to see you ski on your storage wax and don't waste your life redoing it for zero gain to your skis or performance Shocked
snow conditions

Plenty of the cheapest wax. Not jon's ideal workshop but little mess to sweep up.
snow conditions
Zardos is a waste of money only lasts a run and then it's gone.
ski holidays
Quote:

Not my experience but YMMV
snow report
Dupont Krytox R901 .
It was originally used as a hard drive lube now its a ski base lube .

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 23-04-16 12:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
It would be interesting to hear experiences on zardoz and personal time frames of use as a weeks package trip is fairly limited.

As for steel edge protection toko used to have a product like a marker pen the fluid turned pink on the sidewall (its still on the sidewall after 15 yrs or so ).
It was also tougher getting it off the steel edge riding on piste... I think I filed it off .
Probably banned now by health an safety

Cold surfboard wax is soft ,you can crayon it on steel edges although sex wax is not in the average snowheads kit ?
Only mentioned as I used table candles for a number of years on the edges they worked at about a 60-70% level of surface rust protection and were all I had handy for a quiver in storage at height .

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 22-04-16 12:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
geeo wrote:
Quote:

Zardos Notwax is also very good for preventing edge corrosion in storage and takes just a few seconds to apply.

So does a candle but costs about 1000 times less, or just wipe them dry.

Always one smart back bottom in the house rolling eyes

Of course I wouldn't buy Notwax specifically for storage use, but like many people I usually have some around and it does happen to be a great rust inhibitor. Plus it's a liquid so very easy to apply without heat/rubbing.
ski holidays
francium. wrote:

Not if you apply it on top of hot wax it doesn't. It's less effective on its own for sure, but certainly keeps the bases from looking dried out if you use it daily and I found it pretty effective in the spring slush over Easter. A lot of people were complaining of sticking bases in the afternoon sun, but mine held up pretty well.

In perfect snow conditions, I don't find any wax makes all that much difference unless you are racing in competition. But it makes a huge difference in spring skiing conditions.
latest report
Quote:

Always one smart back bottom in the house

Always lots of all the gear guys in a ski forum rolling eyes
snow report
geeo wrote:
Quote:

Always one smart back bottom in the house

Always lots of all the gear guys in a ski forum rolling eyes

Well this is the ski equipment sub-forum, so this is where all the gear guys hang out.
snow report
geeo wrote:
Ok if it's a bit damp then fair enough wax or put them in a decent bag but buying another wax and calling it a special storage wax and then just scraping it off and re waxing again at the start of next season with your special skiing wax to me is a ridiculous waste of effort, glad to see you ski on your storage wax and don't waste your life redoing it for zero gain to your skis or performance Shocked

I don't think anybody actually does this ^

Most people (with all the gear) use a cheap general purpose wax for hot scraping/cleaning/storage. It's not some kind of "special" storage wax, it's just any cheap soft ski wax. It would certainly be a waste to use your best expensive ski wax for these jobs.
ski holidays
Quote:

It would certainly be a waste to use your best expensive ski wax for these jobs.

But for storage, aren't you just going to scrape and brush before you ski so want to use whatever you like to ski on?
ski holidays
@jedster,
How do you know what the temperature will be when you take your skis out of storage?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster wrote:
Quote:

It would certainly be a waste to use your best expensive ski wax for these jobs.

But for storage, aren't you just going to scrape and brush before you ski so want to use whatever you like to ski on?

Yes, but I happen to have a large brick of cheap soft wax I use for hot scrape cleaning, so I normally use that for storage too after hot scrape cleaning my bases at the end of the season - if I can be bothered that is. Otherwise I'll just rub a bit of Notwax over the bases/edges and store them like that. It's just convenient and I wouldn't want to waste an expensive ski wax for hot scraping. I only mentioned it because someone seemed to think that people might buy some kind of "special" storage wax for the job. I don't even think there is such a thing.
ski holidays
Quote:

How do you know what the temperature will be when you take your skis out of storage?

Do you actually measure the snow temp before you ski? just wondering what mechanism you use for that as air temp wont be of any use to you so are you getting people to measure it before you wax or go skiing Puzzled

Quote:

I only mentioned it because someone seemed to think that people might buy some kind of "special" storage wax for the job. I don't even think there is such a thing.

Right so your special wax is for hot scrapes and storage, you don't seem use it for skiing for some reason so i will call it special wax, did you not read the OP's post he asked what storage wax he should buy and was linked to some specific wax, i don't have any wax i would not ski on, soft cheap or otherwise if i put it on it gets used at some point i don't scrape it off to put more expensive wax on i'd rather spend the time doing something worthwhile.
ski holidays
geeo, At least one brand of wax uses air temperature to pick which one to use rather than snow temperature.

Based on the last few winters, I hardly ever use anything other than the wax designed for the warmest conditions, it is also the softest so would be good as a storage wax too.
snow report
geeo wrote:

Right so your special wax is for hot scrapes and storage, you don't seem use it for skiing for some reason so i will call it special wax, did you not read the OP's post he asked what storage wax he should buy and was linked to some specific wax, i don't have any wax i would not ski on, soft cheap or otherwise if i put it on it gets used at some point i don't scrape it off to put more expensive wax on i'd rather spend the time doing something worthwhile.

I use this for cleaning and storage etc:-

http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/wax-zardoz/vola-cleaning-base-prep-uni-wax-600g-detail.html

I use this for skiing:-

http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/wax-zardoz/dominator-zoom-lime-universal-wax-400g-detail.html

You can call the cheaper wax "special" if it fits your argument, but there's nothing actually special about it - it's just cheaper. Of course I could do all my scraping with the more expensive Dominator wax, but that would be a waste of money. Also I have no problem skiing on the cheaper cleaning wax, it's just that there are better alternatives. Is that clear enough for you now or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?
ski holidays
Quote:

geeo, At least one brand of wax uses air temperature to pick which one to use rather than snow temperature.

that's fine as long as you are checking the overnight low temp and know the start time and likely air temps else if you just chose on the day you skied it could be very far off, good post here about it.
http://fasterskier.com/blog/article/snow-versus-air-temperature-why/

Quote:

Also I have no problem skiing on the cheaper cleaning wax, it's just that there are better alternatives. Is that clear enough for you now or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

Better how exactly?

this is the internet isn't this the place you argue for the sake of it, i doubt i am going to achieve anything else.
snow report
geeo wrote:
Quote:

that's fine as long as you are checking the overnight low temp and know the start time and likely air temps else if you just chose on the day you skied it could be very far off, good post here about it.
http://fasterskier.com/blog/article/snow-versus-air-temperature-why/

The stuff in your link is only valid if you are using a brand of wax (like Toko) that is chosen by snow temperature.

In my experience, this will match the conditions in the western Alps most days, and it is cheap.
ski holidays
geeo wrote:

Better how exactly?

this is the internet isn't this the place you argue for the sake of it, i doubt i am going to achieve anything.

FIFY
snow report
I assume you did that because you can't actually offer any decent explanation as to why your special wax isn't good enough to ski on, doesn't surprise me though, all the gear....
snow conditions
geeo wrote:
I assume you did that because you can't actually offer any decent explanation as to why your special wax isn't good enough to ski on, doesn't surprise me though, all the gear....

No I'm just bored with your blatant trolling. Not to mention you are making assertions about what I ski on that are not even true and then arguing about them. In short I think you are an idiot.
snow conditions
Making assertions? you linked to what you ski on and what you use as storage wax and they are different. rolling eyes

Resorting to insults because you cant explain, it's what my friends children do when they get frustrated.
snow report
geeo wrote:
Making assertions? you linked to what you ski on and what you use as storage wax and they are different. rolling eyes

Well you made the assertions that a) I buy some kind of "special storage wax" and b) that I don't ever ski on this "special wax" or think it's not good enough to ski on.

Both of those assertions are incorrect. The primary reason I buy a cheap wax is for hot scrape cleaning, but I sometimes use it for storage too because it's convenient after hot scraping bases at the end of the season when I can rarely be motivated to finish off with my best wax. It's just a nice cheap soft wax that's easy to scrape. I'll happily ski on it too if I can't be bothered to apply a better wax straight after storage. YOU decided to call it a "special wax" and then proceeded to argue that it's a waste of time using it.

As for the performance difference between my cleaning wax and normal ski wax, the latter is much harder wearing and lasts maybe 3-4 days, depending on conditions. The soft cleaning wax I use is pretty much gone after a day's skiing, but is much easier to scrape and it's cheaper of course.

In relation to the OP's request I actually agreed with your first post i.e. "Just wax them with whatever you normally do and don't scrape them until just before next use" and didn't even bother to mention cheap cleaning wax as it had already been recommended previously.

But I see you just like to argue, regardless of the facts.
ski holidays
Quote:

@jedster,

As I don't race I don't rewax my skis based on the weather. Do many people actually do that?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy