Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski 2017 - never too early!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski 2016 is over for us, and I'm getting quite miserable.... we've had a great season so now I need to cheer myself up by investigating the options for 2017.

I'll ski pretty much anything - often with very little style but I'll get there.
Mrs SM is a cruisey blue, not too steep red (provided it's wide). No blacks.

She loved Passo Tonale, Cervinia and bits of Selva. She loved Canazei.

She hated Ischgl and the Sella orange route. She didn't ski to Zermatt as the first bit up and over the ridge from Cervinia was not particularly nice.

Ideally a bowl for her to ski would be perfect - she doesn't wan't a nasty surprise around the corner and likes to see where the lift is taking her..

We both love lively apres. Italy is our favourite country for snow sports.

Any suggestions for next year?

Thanks,

SM
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@shockingmoment, Livigno fits the bill - mainly wide cruisy reds and blues with no surprises! Some mad apres if that's what you're into, and tonnes of nice bars/restaurants. Has been a favourite of mine ever since I ended up there on a cheap deal a load of years back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@shockingmoment, have a look at Madonna de campilgio, brenta dolomites. Not only does it tick all of your boxes but it is also stunningly beautiful.
I have experienced all of the ski areas noted in the two previous posts save PT.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks folks.
We skied part of Madonna this year - and you are quite correct it is lovely. That's on the list.

Also on the list now is Livigno... can I ask element - are you a diy'er (flight/car/hotel) or do you go with a package?
It looks like Zurich is quite handy, 3h car transfer not bad, and Swissair are quite generous with bags / skis....

For both areas -
Any hints/tips & hotel and location suggestions?
Needs: Pool / 1/2 board / walk to slopes & après. £70pppn ish

Thanks for the help

SM
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at Claviere. You would still be in Italy but you can extend the pass to include Montgenevre which is a resort in the middle of a bowl, so it's very easy to get around.
I think it's in the Crystal brochure.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Monterosa ski area is varied and has several villages to ski to-from. Champaluc is a nice town and good base. Ski Total have a catered hotel there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@shockingmoment, We usually DIY and rent an apartment, then book a private transfer from Bergamo which takes about 3 1/2 hours. I'm not too sure about hotels as we tend to self cater, but the standard of accommodation is very high in my experience compared with other ski areas I've been to. The town is full of small hotels and we would often wander in off the street for a meal or drink, and have literally never been let down in 9 or 10 visits. They all tend to be classic Italian/Swiss alpine in style, with wooden beams and cowbells hanging off the walls, if that's your thing. The Lac Salin hotel is beautiful, but may be a bit pricey. Pretty sure it has a pool, and it's ski in ski out. It's in the San Rocco area at the south end of the town, which is close to the main Carosello Gondola and plenty of bars/restaurants - for mad Apres in San Rocco try the Stalet at the bottom of the gondola from the afternoon, and Marco's bar downstairs or the Homelywood upstairs later on, although the Apres tends to be a little less mad in the quieter weeks. There are a load more small bars that are nice for a quiet drink in San Rocco.

Alternatively, the main Central area is pedestrianised and is a bit livelier in general, with more options for accommodation, but tends to be a bit more expensive. The Hotel Bivio might be a good fit - it has a pool, outdoor spa and nightclub, but not sure about prices.

The town is easy to get around on foot, by free bus or by taxi, and you are never far from the slopes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lech-Oberlech & Warth
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Lech

I wouldn't say Champoluc/Monterosa would meet the "lively" apres requirement!

Courchevel has some lovely wide blues, stay in 1650, La Praz or La Tania for cheaper prices

Obertauern is basically one huge bowl, you can ski around it and never get lost, no idea on the apres though, check the piste map out..

http://www.obertauern.com/en/winter-holiday/skiing.html

and a final recommendation for the Dolomites, ski in/out hotel here and lovely wide runs, the reds are very easy!! http://mountainsunltd.com/skichalets/albergo-frohsinn/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks folks - lots to consider, and two hot favourites.. Livigno and Corvara

Now - package or diy....!

Let the research begin.

I appreciate your suggestions - thank you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skied in Italy, Kronplatz around 12 years ago and remember it as an upside down bowl with a very nice Apre Ski pub at the bottom. (Many years ago so can be mistaken but maybe worth looking at). Saas Fee in Switserland is also very beautiful, lively apre and nice runs for your wife.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Migmad wrote:
I skied in Italy, Kronplatz around 12 years ago and remember it as an upside down bowl with a very nice Apre Ski pub at the bottom. (Many years ago so can be mistaken but maybe worth looking at). Saas Fee in Switserland is also very beautiful, lively apre and nice runs for your wife.

The lively apres bar is K1 at Reischach which is at the bottom of the black runs Hernegg and Sylwester, but don't let that put you off since you can descend by gondola. I have never (yet) stayed at Reischach as we like the other side of the mountain (Sankt Vigilio) so much. Not exactly very lively though at Sankt Vigilio. If you or anyone else does stay at Reischach I would be extremely interested in a trip report. It does have the extra advantage of being very handy for the excellent leisure / swimming / sauna complex Kron4
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy