Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Riksgränsen/Narvik 20-29 March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from an amazing trip to the Scandinavian Arctic Circle.
4 days in Riks including a day trip to Bjorkliden, then train to Narvik for another 4 days.
Big dump just before we arrived then another 3 days later...perfect.
Unfortunately temps then really warmed up and it rained heavily on our penultimate day which ruined the snow. But the fantastic conditions for the first 6 days more than compensated for that.
Narvikfjellet is an absolutely incredible mountain...amazing off piste and the views are bonkers.
Hope the pics below tell the story. Any questions feel free to ask.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Narvik is great. Looks like you caught it perfectly
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The trains are cool.

Any spyshots of new cars...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great pictures.. I was thinking of a trip on these lines for my big birthday next year. It would be myself and the family including 2 kids.. what were the logistic like? Much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fairly straightworward. Fly to Kiruna via Stockholm, bus or train to Riksgransen, train to Narvik (probably the most scenic train journey I've ever made), bus to Harstad airport, fly back via Oslo.

Contact Riksgransen tourist office to arrange accommodation there.

Narvik stay in the Best Western if you want to be close to the slopes. The gondola is just across the road.

In Narvik make sure you are there when the gondola is running. It normally closes outside of weekends and holidays. If so then there are 3 drag lifts which deliver you to the same place but obviously the gondola is quicker and more comfortable.

Also be warned that the gondola and top chair (which accesses the good stuff) are prone to wind closure.

Not sure what it would be like as a family destination though. Very limited pistes, potential for extreme cold, not much else to do. You really need to be an off-pister with willingness to do a bit of hiking to get the most out of both mountains.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@hd, Thanks for the info. Nope, we probably won't get the best of the mountains but it's more for the (do-able) adventure I think... most northerly ski resorts and then next year Cerro Castor for Mrs Snowhouse's big birthday. Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hd, Narvikfjellet looks stunning. We went to Riksgransen last mid summer which was an amazing experience. May need to plan another trip into the arctic circle...

@snowhouse, I guess it depends how good your kids are at skiing? Riksgränsen has a black mogueled run back to the hotel. Other option is to stay in Björkliden (free bus connects the two resorts). When we go again I will look into private lessons or a guide to find some easier lift accessed off piste.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I didn't think much of Riksgransen to be honest. Very flat top of the mountain then only a short steep section at the bottom. 2 slow chair lifts which took 20mins+ to get to the top, to provide only 350m vertical. Lots of drag lifts on the back side with long queues. It got uncomfortably busy there the day before Easter. The arctic wildnerness location though was very spectacular.

Bjorkliden was even more limited but ok for a day trip. Much less snow than at Riksgransen - apparently that was normal.

Narvik, however, was incredible. Big vertical and consistent steep pitch all the way down. Amazing off-piste area on the north-east face accessed directly from the top chair. Not busy at all even though it was Easter weekend. Stupendous views. My only concern if I ever went back would be its vulnerability to warmer temps due to its maritime location - not sure if we were just unlucky with this.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great report hd - Mrs MA & I have very happy memories of a Riksgransen, Bjorkliden & Ice Hotel trip a few years ago. Narvik sounds great - must put it on our to do list.

snowhouse: We did the Ice Hotel as it was our wedding anniversary - an absolutely incredible experience (totally surreal) & one I'd definitely recommend for a special birthday. If you go, go midweek as it's cheaper - & pay the extra for a suite with ice sculptures. It's not cheap but is just amazing - eg drinking vodka from a glass made of ice in a bar made of ice...and with all the furniture made of ice - you've got the picture!

Saw the Northern Lights too and drove Ice Road Truckers-style on studded tyres on total ice roads through the wilderness. Great!

We went at the end of February - very cold at Riksgransen (which we loved - some nice off piste) but not too cold at Bjorkliden. We didn't queue at either ski area - both were quite quiet on our midweek visits and with great snow.

Enjoyed both resorts as we just love trying new ski areas and we loved the whole Arctic Circle experience.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hd, Great pics. Was wanting to arrange a Riksgrassen trip myself this May but all cheap accommodation was gone so will revisit the idea next year. Skiing above the fjords looks pretty special.

@snowhouse, Just a warning if you are bucket-listing this as the most northerly lift-accessed resort - that accolade actually goes to the Nord Star Ski Complex in Murmansk I understand which is about half a degree further north than Narvik. Not that I'd choose it instead...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Deibitto wrote:
Just a warning if you are bucket-listing this as the most northerly lift-accessed resort - that accolade actually goes to the Nord Star Ski Complex in Murmansk

Nope it's Alta in Norway http://www.goski.co.uk/resorts/norway/other/alta/index.htm
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hd, I stand corrected! That Russian tourist who told me this in Arre won't be happy when he finds out...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some very cheap fares available on Norwegian trains if you book in advance. I travelled right up to the Arctic Circle from Oslo, last midsummer, for not much money.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy