Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after a tibial plateau fracture

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. I’m incredibly bummed to have a right knee tibial plateau fracture, as of today. Did it skiing in Jackson Hole on an easy run, third run of the first day of the trip. Rental bindings didn’t release. It appears the ACL is still connected to the bone, but I sheared the bone clean off and it’s in a few pieces.

I could really use some help with next steps from the experts here.

1) Should I try to find a local doctor back home in San Francisco to work on me, or be open to traveling or getting it done here in Jackson? Heard good things about Steadman in Vail but I just don’t have weeks to commit to being there. I have a 2 and a 4 year old and a new job I’m supposed to start in four days
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You’re best bet, if safe to travel, is to have surgery in a place you can get to for some follow up . This is especially important for complex problems. If you are prepared to go back to the surgeon in Vail for follow up, have treatment there. With the best will in the world it is difficult to feel totally committed to following someone else’s surgery. That is especially difficult if I disagree with what was done, it was done badly or they post op protocol is very different to mine. We have a problem in the Uk with skiers who get offered surgery in a number of places in Austria where some of the treatments have been quite suspect. The post op protocols are very different aswell.
If you have a young family you also need your support network around you so you can provide for them- that will be more likely at home.
I hope that helps you make a decision.
Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. That’s helpful. I will find someone in San Francisco.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had to wait for my op on TPF until i got home, as there was the swelling, the surgeon had to wait until the right time to operate, i was so pleased to have waited, had my knee done by yorkshires finest knee surgeon, you would never know i had broken it !!
the same can't be said of my leg break, that was repaired in Italy, again we had to wait a week until they could operate and it was a very old type of op. if i had been in the uk it would have had an external metal frame rather than how it was done in resort by so called experts..
with my TPF type 2 i was off my feet for a few weeks, my advice is to do as much leg raising as you can ..you cant do enough, i was skiing again within 7 months but struggled !!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much. This helps my spirits a lot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonathan, you need to change your signature, it returns a 404
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonathan Bell, there is a full stop at the end of the link
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Val Desire, @holidayloverxx,
Thank you
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've managed to break the tibial plateau in both legs in separate incidents spaced over 10 years. Once whilst racing MX, and the other from a MTB accident.

The 1st time, on my left leg broken in 7 places, I had it screwed back together, and this didn't work vey well, so I ended up in an external frame for 6 months...That was rubbish.

However the most recent, and hopefully last, break in August 2018, resulted in an open fracture that was operated on within 24 hours. My right leg was broken in 4 places, and this time was plated.

Once I was weightbaring, I was relentless with my Phyiso exercises.

I made my skiing hoilday the following February Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Woosh,

On last day of ski holiday Feb 2022 (70th birthday!) in Mammoth an idiot skied into me, skis didn't release resulting in tibia plateau fracture. Had surgery following week with plate & screws in the US. No weight bearing for several months (wheelchair/crutches) not much professional physio available in Essex so mainly exercise bike, desk cycle and walking. This Feb Mammoth again & wasn't sure if I'd ski but overcame my fear and had a go. Mostly pretty fine, turning on my injured leg a bit sore but one day felt completely back to my normal skiing although sadly not the next. Was always wary of other skiers coming from behind but had a wonderful holiday with the family for my 71st.
So I'd say go for it if you feel confident enough.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Janice, I can highly recommend Jon McComish at Chelmsford Physio...he got me skiing 7 months after my TPF. Its still worth going to him for a proper exercise plan...squats, lunges, heel raises, Romanian deadlifts, leg press, etc
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy