Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

xmas trip innsbruck/salzburg tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi fellow snowheads, am thinking of taking the family to Innsbruck or Salzburg for a xmas trip, kids have recently seen the sound of music and have become obsessed with the area and although it would generally be a sightseeing trip, we would be driving and taking our ski gear with us in case it is (hopefully!!) snowy and get a couple of ski days in here and there.
has anyone got any advice of reasonably cheap self catering accommodation (xmas I know!!!), places to see etc in either city.
we were looking to do a short trip in the summer holidays but no bug flies there during the summer, hence a longer self drive trip when we have got more time.
would love to be able to afford a full blown ski trip, but with snow not being reliable and going away feb 2017 thought this might be a compromise.
cheers
terry
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@terrygasson, are you looking to stay in a ski area and have trips to Salzburg, or stay in Salzburg and head out for the few days skiing?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@terrygasson, both Salzburg and Innsbruck are on the Christmas market circuits so in the lead up to Christmas it could be hard to find accommodation. Plus with Christmas Eve being on a Saturday it does depend n how long you would like to stay. Maybe looking at tourist office sites for summer lets you may find something that suits. My village for example is only 45minutes by car from Salzburg but is primarily a summer holiday area, so there is a lot of quality sc accommodation empty a lot of the winter season
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks @Samerberg Sue @hammerite, to be honest we would be looking at sightseeing from a base in a town, and possibly ski the odd day if possible, but am not put off with being out in a village somewhere (may look at between Innsbruck and Salzburg) if it is better for availability of accommodation.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@terrygasson, Flachau runs a daily bus from salzburg for say trippers. As I understand it you can ski directly from innsbruck
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@terrygasson, I recommend using AirBnB as there is a huge amount of reasonably priced self catering accommodation especially located within both Innsbruck and Salzburg. You can ski directly out of Innsbruck using the mountain tram on the Nordkette mountain, there are also a number of resorts located up to 30 mins from the city all of which are on bus routes. The Innsbruck Olympia ski pass encompasses 9 resorts all within easy reach of the city. The Stubai glacier is on the pass and will definitely have ample skiing at that time of year even if many other resorts don't (though they are likely to).

http://www.tyrol.tl/en/leisure-activities/winter-sports/skiing-areas-in-tyrol/olympia-skiworld-innsbruck/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
evening all, thanks for previous advice on the thread earlier, I have now booked accommodation just outside Innsbruck over the xmas week.
now what I am trying to find out is best travel route from Calais to Innsbruck, would like a fairly direct route and to avoid tolls if possible. there seems to be a few possibilities via google maps but am banking on the experience of you good people. would be looking to overnight a couple of hours outside of Innsbruck so any reasonably priced recommendations for a family of four would also be greatly appreciated.

thanks
terry
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Calais, in to Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, then on to Austria means no tolls. There was a thread last week with a pretty precise recommended route titled something to do with booze and Mayrhofen I think.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@terrygasson, @hammerite, I'm not in the position to give a detailed route but you can make it completely toll-free if you want to
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Innsbruck is a nice choice, however I suspect that the xmas markets will be over and done with when you get there. We're planning a weekender there in early December and we have stayed there for skiing a couple of years back.
The local transport system is excellent for getting to and from ski resorts but if you have the car I guess you don't need to use it. Not sure about sight seeing at that time of year but Mark will be along soon to give you pointers.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy