Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

french half term? resort help?

Poster: A snowHead
hi there all

going skiing....first time ever. Not til next feb-ish 2007)

family of 3 holiday...daughter who will be 5 and 1/2.

looking for a destination in france...meribel seems the most likely choice at the mo?

*nice accomodation is high priority as i like my comforts Happy

*want to be close to stuff to do after skiing lessons such as swimming or skating or sledging etc?

*obviously snow is pretty important NehNeh

*ski school for children?

*nice restaurants

oh...and dont want to end up in a concrete jungle style resort.

sorry to sound like an amateur muppet Sad but im sure you all were one once? none of us could ski from birth right? Very Happy

Anyway...any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ps...does anyone know the exact dates of the french half term for feb please? want to avoid it!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ladymarmalade, welcome to snowheads, French school holidays are staggered depending on region there are 3 so this year they have run from the 1st week of Feb until the end of Feb but the heaviest concentration of holidays is from 18th Feb until 25th Feb, when there are 6 European countries all with school holidays. The earlier you can go in Feb the better if you're really forced to, but early March is a much better bet if that's possible. If you haven't settled on Meribel could we tempt you to Le Rosiere, there are a few reviews in the resorts section and you could have a look at our ad in snowShops, it's a great resort for families, not a concrete jungle, a good number of nice resturants and the bonus of skiing in Frace and Italy. Our website, www.tracksvacations.com has lots of information and a link to the La Rosiere tourist office if you need more details.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 19-01-06 9:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ladymarmalade, bienvenue a neigeTetes.

On the basis of taking my family of four there many years ago, including two (then) youngsters, I'd heartily recommend the Hotel Cachette in Arc 1600, which has big family rooms and an integral ski school set-up for kids. Great food too. Google it - the same operation has a hotel in Tignes, I think.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not much to do in Arc1600 though and not particularly scenic? Not sure about meribel either - it is somewhat spread out so it's easy to be a long way from anything! And the slopes get very busy, so can be a little intimidating for a beginner - the altiport beginners slopes are nice but getting home was a bit nasty iirc. I like arc1800 for beginner but there really is very little to do other than ski, nice hills for sledging etc and traffic free, but no rink/pool/cinema etc, just a few restaurants and bars and shops. Also the arcs are probably bigger than you need?

For a first holiday I would look to a much smaller resort, especially in feb as the big resorts get very very busy. Look for accomodation with good ski in/out or close to slopes access so getting kids/yourself to lessons isn't problematic, 400m may not sound much but if it's uphill, in ski boots, carrying one of the kids + all the ski gear and trying to control another by sheer willpower it can seem a VERY long way!

How about montgenevre? I've not been yet but thinking of it for next year for a group of beginners, lots of very easy slopes and a little less mainstream so shouldn't be packed. La rosiere sounds good too, although again I haven't been. How about somewhere in italy or austria? The austrian resorts in particular tend to be prettier and have much more going on in the evenings as they are often summer resorts to?

Hope that helps,

aj xx
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few thoughts for you:

Half term in France is staggered across several weeks, so even if you avoid the peak week for a resort, February still tends to be pretty crowded. I have friends with a flat in Mottaret (above Meribel) who have given up going at that time because it's too packed to be fun. If you are limited to school hols, consider Easter, or the week before Christmas (I did the latter in Meribel last month, and it was gloriously empty)

If you want the 3 Valleys, Courchevel (particularly 1650 or 1850) are probably better for beginners than Meribel - they have more extensive green and blue runs, and provided you stay centrally, will probably have shorter walks to the lifts (a major consideration with 5 year olds, since you are likely to be carrying their skis as well as yours!). I took my kids to Courchevel 1850 for their first time at that age. One thing they really liked were the opportunities for sledging after most of the lifts have shut. There is still one lift open for sledging into the early evening. La Potiniere is a good hotel right by the slopes.

But for beginners, you may find that you don't need a big resort - they have more extensive skiing but less charm, and you won't care about the extensive skiing in week 1!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey thanks everyone for all your advice!

Thanks David, I will definitely look more closely at la rosiere which i'd previously ruled out but can't remember why now? There are so many to choose from! Also no, I dont HAVE to go in Feb but the prices seemed a little less expensive than later in the season and also I thought it would be quieter at the beginning of feb or even the end of Jan...or is it just far too cold then?

IAJ....thanks, was seriously considering montgenevre too but then decided it sounded a bit too quiet or was it too lively and young? i forget now, i shouldve made a list!? Happy

Thanks to david g..... Arc 1600 did appeal too but wasn't overly impressed with the choice of accommodation?

Well obvioulsy i am on the right track then...but i just thought that all the websites and brochures are only going to tell you how wonderful all these placesl are and it's better to get advice from real people who have been.

Keep your suggestions coming too if you have any more!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ladymarmalade, New skier, french resort, half term. Cant go wrong with La Rosiere but would look at early March after the school holidays (French and English).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for the advice!!

Have checked out La Rosiere and it looks fab! Definitely prefer the sound of it over Meribel now, and have even found a beautiful looking apartment called les cimes blanche...or something like that anyway?

Definitely works out good value too to book independently doesn't it!

Since all the half terms seem to mess up February though, I am now considering 27th/28th of Jan weekend now instead.....is this too early dya think? The snow history reports look good for around that date but would it be too cold for a little one?

I'm talking next year mind you...2007. I don't really want to wait until March...that's ages away! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
those dates look ideal, ladymarmalade, and you should have good snow. it can be cold, or warm, any time. yesterday I was in Chamonix and it was really warm. We had several holidays in La Rosiere - a good choice. Definitely avoid the last three weeks in Feb and first week of March, you will have less choice later on when your daughter is older!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
and last year it was minus 15 in much of the Alps throughout February
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ladymarmalade, we've skied as a family for the last two years that week (28ish Jan onwards) and it has been warm, great snow and 14/16 days clear blue skies. This year I think our luck will run out! The resorts are pretty quiet that week (and it's cheaper).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ladymarmalade, if www.tracksvacations.com doesn't suit, and people do speak highly of them the try www.skiolympic.co.uk . we have been with them on a number of occaisions and they are excellent. Last week in Jan should be a reasonable price. Have a look at their Grand & Petite Planica chalets in La Rosiere. They have steam rooms, jacuzzi, and a swimming pool !!. They also have plenty of triple rooms which should get you a healthy discount. If you book early you will get £50 of the adult rate and £200 off for a child in a shared room. They are right next to the piste and a lift.

Edit: Les Cimes Blanche are about 1km outside La Rosiere in the small hamlet of Les Eucherts
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ladymarmalade, SP and I went to La Rosiere last year at half term. Used Ski Olympic and agree with The Lardy Love God that they are very good - we had a great ski host who had no problem having SP, who was only 9 then, in the 'fast' group.

We stayed in the Chalet Oliver which was okay, a bit basic and a bit of a hike from the lifts, although the bus service is regular and reliable.

Very nice resort, not that busy for half term either - we seemed to manage to avoid the crowds okay.

Best of all, we lucked in on the snow as we arrived to loads of fresh snow and it continued to snow on and off for a couple of days.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the links and i have checked them out...grand and petite planica chalets do look absolutley lovely and great location!.... but i dont really want to share a chalet with people we don't know and would prefer self catering anyway (especially after all the horror stories on the chat about the stomach bugs)!

It is a shame though that the les cimes blanche apartments are so far out from village but then i suppose, considering my priorities, something has to 'give' and accommodation is definitely a high priority....i need a little bit of luxury because it is a holiday and escape from reality for a week after all! (not that i live in squalor or anything but you know...) Very Happy

Helens chalet also looks fabulous....i mean really, really! But i have definitely decided now on La Rosiere so that one is definitely going to be too far away fron the village!hehe wink

Jan seems to be a good bet then? well thats settled.....at least i have a definite date now!

Am i best to book now or is a year in advance a bit too premature? Ive noticed that a lot of sites haven't even worked out next years prices yet so maybe best to wait?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ladymarmalade, We decided to go to La Rosiere this year at half term and we are staying at Les Cimes Blanche
it was the appeal of the swimming pool that persuaded my wife and daughters. I will happily post a report on the apartments on my return in mid Feb. You can also see more details on resort by looking at this previous link La Rosiere also there is a report in the Resorts section worth reading.
latest report
ladymarmalade, just to reassure on a couple of counts I've never heard of anyone coming down with gippy tummy, we have our own water company which as far as I can tell draws it's supply directly from local sources, literally as fresh as a mountain spring. Cimes Blanches is located in Les Echerts which is about a mile from La Rosiere village but there is a new high speed 6 man chair at Les Echerts which takes you directly into the main ski domain, you can ski to it from Cimes Blanches. La Rosiere has a terrific snow record, proximity to Mont Blanc etc., late Jan is a good time to go, you can get an idea of how busy the slopes are in Jan by accessing the La Rosiere webcam, just go to our website www.tracksvacations.com and follow the link to the La Rosiere webcam, it shows the main slope, Tetras blue piste and the Roches Noir chairlift, virtually no-one on the slopes. Those slope are where the ski schools meet and the nursery slopes are nearby.
Other chalets with swimming pools in the village are Le Tyrol, which is well placed in the centre and Planica, both can be contacted via the Tourist Office who have a centralised booking service and speak good english
snow report
www.skicollection.co.uk seem to have the most competitive prices for these apartments. Other top end aprtments there. Would mean you need to sort out your own flights
snow report
ladymarmalade, Although I live in another resort entirely I think La Rosiere would be very good for you. It's not big, so nowhere's very far from the centre anyway, and is quite scenic too. I don't know what you've heard about water in the alps, but I've always drunk the tap water everywhere and never had a problem. Mostly our water is what you pay a premium for in the shops! Happy hols Very Happy
snow conditions
ladymarmalade, Try the chalet holiday. Its great and either Tracks or Ski Olympic generally do great food.
snow conditions
I must be missing something here.

In your first post you asked for swimming and skating and stuff to do.

Now La Rosiere is a nice place, but does it have any of this ? (I've not been there recently, but it didn't have last time I looked). I'm sure you'd have a good time there, but don't let the recommendations of others (who may not have the same selection criteria as you) sway you too much !!

And January can be sunny and warm, but if I'm not mistaken the chances are that unless something big happened that I'm not aware of, the days are always shorter and (statistically) colder than at any other time of th year. Learning (especially if you're 5 1/2) is no fun when it's cold, dark and p****g snow.

My recommendations are (and please treat then with the same cynicism (sp) that I'm encouraging you to use with everyone elses) are to :

1. Steer clear of big resorts (crowded, expensive list passes paying for loads of terrain you'll not use) and look for somewhere small which targets beginners as the ski-school will have people better equiped to look after you.

2. Look to go early March (still good snow, longer days, statistically warmer and sunnier (though it might not be !!)

3. Look at Switzerland or Austria as non-skiing activites such as sledging and winter walking are MUCH better organised and available than France - they have special runs and you can use the ski lifts for them. I've have 3 children and breaking up the skiing with other things (expecially with the little ones) tends to make it work better.

4. Stick with the 'I need a swimming pool and rink' idea - if not specifically, then as a principle because it is nice to potter around and do other things, especially if the weather is bad or one of you doesn't get on with skiing or gets a twisted ankle etc.

I feel like such a party pooper !!

d
ski holidays
I'd agree with Frosty the Snowman, . Chalets with a mix of beginners and more "experienced" (i.e.even if crap) (i.e.me) skiers are great fun. We all remember what a thrill it was starting out and getting on the bubble for the first time and all that and love to share it and our "wisdom" with the newbies. As Bev says, "I've never met a skier I didn't like." Chalets are good. snowHead
latest report
Thanks pendodave for your thoughts.....but the only thing i can see that la rosiere doesn't seem to have on my list is skating?.... but i'm willing to compromise on something in order to stay at a nice resort thats a bit less commercial.

The apartments im looking at do have a pool and sauna, jacussi etc.

Take on board your comments about the time to go though......i'm probly just being impatient by not wanting to wait until march 07! ...and having never been before i just keep thinking 'surely there would be less snow in march?' but i guess im comparing the seasons to here in the uk and maybe thats why i'm coming to that conclusion? won't all the snow be melting in march? Puzzled yeah yeah...muppet i know NehNeh

I didn't mean to sound antisocial either by not wanting to share a chalet because frankly if the ppl we meet at the resort are as nice as all you lovely ppl who have helped me on this site then we'll be as happy as pigs in sh*t!!

it's just nice to have our own lounge and tv and cooking facilities that's all....in the evenings i just like to kick back in my pj's or wrap around thingy and chill ya know Smile
snow report
oh.... and we may drive the whole way too cos i hate flying, so could we not jump in our car and go off to other nearby resorts one day/evening if we fancied a livelier time, or would that be a real hassle?
ski holidays
ladymarmalade, An excellent choice, apart from the driving and the self catering Very Happy . If you do drive then Les Eucherts would be an excellent place. As you could catch the ski bus or take the car. There is a lovely restaurant in Les Eucherts which I think is called L'Ancolie. All this aside; fly and catered chalet is the best choice wink Very Happy

EDIT: We went to LR last Easter and have booked up again for half term. The kids say it is the best place they have ever been.
ski holidays
At the risk of being boring and repeating myself , if you are going to drive you might find ski collections v.helpful. their prices were the same cost as the operators of the residences direct. I checked as we considered the same apartments in La Rosiere. http://www.skicollection.co.uk/default.cfm/loaddoc.78/accprice.320 The site is on my favourites so here is the link
snow report
ladymarmalade, If you do decide to stay at Les Cimes Blanche we booked through Iglu (see snowShops page)
they charged the same price but were able to give us return Eurotunnel crossing for only £20.
snow report
ladymarmalade, I'd probably disagree with the lardy love god over this one. As a mother of two the extra convenience of an apartment was far better. Hence my buying an apartment in Serre Chevalier. The kids loved La Rosiere when we went there. It's a bit of a scary ride up the mountain though.
snow conditions
yeah thanx dan100...its ok i already checked out both of those and found them to be offering the best price wink I am on their 'list' for next year as the prices haven't been given as yet.

Helen (a fellow mum Happy) knows where i'm coming from regarding the chalet arrangement when you have children! Sorry Lardy...I think youhave been over ruled! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont,ladymarmalade, But mixing with strangers is good for the social development of the kids. Chances are with all the large rooms and the pools at the Planicas e.g. that other kids will be there. Kids love making friends.

Who does the cooking? - Mum?
Who wants to get changed and back out in the cold to a restaurant with kids. Let someone else do the cooking and eat in (at the chalet). The other folks and kids ADD to the fun.

Quote:

(a fellow mum Happy)
Surely you mean "a fellow parent" Very Happy . I am only harping on about this because we have had such fun holidays this way. Each to there own however. You will not regret choosing LR.
latest report
kevinrhead, hi kevin

yeah thanks! definitely would love to hear how your hol goes and all about the apartment!! it held the same appeal for me as your wife and daughters wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
The direct booking site for Les Cimes Blanches is http://www.cgh-residences.com It's down at the moment though.

I did a quick price comparison for a Ski Collection appt in L2A compared with booking direct and it looks like they're taking approx. 10% on top.
snow conditions
ladymarmalade, If you decide on a chalet - never fear - the people who go on winter skiing holidays are MUCH nicer than the summer crowd. Really - I've worked both seasons a number of times and it's true!
snow conditions
ladymarmalade, I've been looking at your post on tripadvisor and it seems as though you are in the position we were in a few years back. We went to La Plagne and stayed in a really nice self catered apartment in Montalbert. Contact Nick from Mountain Heaven (www.mountainheaven.co.uk). Nick and his wife really go out of their way to help. We travelled by car and they even arranged to leave the key in a safe spot so we could get in during the early hours when we arrived. The resort is perfect for beginners as there is a free lift on a very good nursery slope. The resort is typically alpine and geared for families. The restaurants cater for a variety of tastes and budgets and we found everyone really friendly. The apartments are ski-in/out and were very comfortable. We had a 4 bedroom which would easily house 8 adults but had stacks of space as we only had the five of us (3 kids). Like you we wanted all the home comforts and really could not fault the quality and tranquility of the place. The apartments are now 2 years old but amazingly still seem brand new. Most are privately owned and I think Nick acts as an agent for the owners so they make sure that the places are looked after. If you want a lively night out then you would need to treck up to either Plagne Soleil or Belle Plagne. Incidentally I know that everywhere is booked up for the Feb half-term as dissappointingly we are now having to look at booking elsewhere. If you can go at another time in Feb then definetely give mountain heaven a try. We've tried Les Arcs, Les Gets, Chamonix and Le Bettex and we'd go back to La Plagne everytime now. All the best, Phill G.
ski holidays
phillgreg, I am shocked to discover you have not been greeted! Most remiss of us. Welcome to snowHeads.

I am sorry you are struggling to get somewhere for half-term. Don't give up! Very often, if you can get a flight, there is some room avaiable in resort.

snowHead
snow conditions
phillgreg, welcome to snowheads.
ski holidays
phillgreg, Welcome and apologies -especialy after such a lengthy first post
ski holidays
goodness me, this thread has emerged after a long slumber. I wonder what ladymarmalade decided?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy