Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone do Solden or Obergurgl DIY from Scotland?

Poster: A snowHead
Hoping to take family members on their first ski/snowboard holiday next Easter.

So would be 4 adults and 2 children.

Never done Austria before and DIY not worked out as economical for 2.

Was thinking DIY would be best option and especially as there would be 6 of us this would make a private transfer a viable option.

Only direct flight I can see from Edinburgh on Skyscanner seems to be to Munich with transfer options available. (Don't want to do two flights to get to Innsbruck). Anyone done this?

When do flights come out to book? Guessing the sooner booked the better.

Also any advice re Solden vs Obergurgl for a family of beginners at Easter. I guess we would be looking for half board hotel or catered chalet.

Thanks in advance Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MCL wrote:

When do flights come out to book? Guessing the sooner booked the better.

Go onto the airline website and see how far in advance you can book flights now... A lot of airlines are 360 days
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MCL, yes, I've flown Edinburgh to Munich and hired a car to get to Sölden. The drive wasn't too bad though I didn't encounter the traffic discussed elsewhere on SH's. Also flown Munich to get to Hintertux, using tyrol-taxi.at for the transfer, who have been very economical and convenient at least for a solo traveller. They may also serve Sölden.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MCL, Take a look at these hotels Tyrol, Tyrolerhof and Central.Also the Arnold (Haus Arnold I think it is called) has an outstanding reputation. There are some very high spec ones up by the Gaislachkogelbahn - Regina, Valentin Grauer Bär are all quality places to start searching from. Otherwise there is masses of different types of accommodation from self-catering to 5* back through to simple farmhouse B&Bs. Catered chalets as found in France are not common anywhere in Austria unless run by British or Dutch tour operators to be honest.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MCL, Yes, DIY'd Obergurgl in January this year using the Edinburgh to Munich Easyjet. Flights booked about August 2015 for less than £100 return per head. As advised on here used Ted at White Descents for the transfer https://www.facebook.com/White-Descents-180113498730668/ very nice guy, very well priced and utterly reliable. Solden is good but busier and livelier, Obergurgl is quieter both on the slopes and at night as there is no real Apres outwith the hotels after the Mountain huts close. But then again as fantastic mountain huts go you have the Nederhütte and that more than makes up for it! I would say Ober/Hochgurgl is more suitable for a family of beginners.

As Sue says Chalets are few and far between and the hotels in Ober/Hochgurgl are all nice to very nice. I did spot one chalet though it strikes me as pretty pricey http://www.thechalet.com

As for value for money hotels I've heard great reviews of the Hotel Sportiv in 'doing what it s says on the tin' terms. Link is to Crystal hotel which is attached and more expensive http://www.thecrystal.at/.

The best place to look is the tourist website https://www.obergurgl.com/accommodation-list-winter#searchfilter

As I'm sure you know easter is late-ish next year (16th April) so you're wise to go high.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the info folks will look up all the suggestions.

Sounds like Obergurgl is better for the family and DIY definitely looking more affordable than Crystal. Now just to convince them that they want to give it a go Very Happy

Checked out the Fife holidays and they seem to be first week in April next year so hopefully that's before England.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't know how it compares with the Sportiv but we stayed at the Lohmann a couple of years ago and would be happy to stay there again.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@larry1950, thanks will have a look.

One of the adults is a coeliac - anyone know of any hotels that would be a good option for getting a gluten free evening meal? I'm veggie but not expecting that to be a problem- I like cheese Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just looking at a hotel via the tourist board website and checking out its amenities which seem to include sheep and goat!! Very Happy

https://www.obergurgl.com/accommodation-list-winter?do=info&id=2929
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MCL, The Lohmann had buffet meals with a good choice and I am sure they had a vegetarian option but it is two years ago, evening meal certainly had a good salad selection, whichever hotel you like try emailing them to see what they say but I think most places try and accommodate dietary problems.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mmm have checked out price for the Lohmann and all in with flights to Munich and a transfer is only £30 per person less than through Crystal (which flies to Innsbruuk which means transfer half the time).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MCL, It was Crystal that we went with, it was the first time we had gone with a tour operator for a number of years as we wanted to go to Obergurgl and as you have found out it's not always so easy to do diy from Scotland.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I flew BA from Glasgow to Salzburg this year, they went on Saturday and Sunday, it was about £195 for early March and I booked it a couple of months before. Jet2 did Salzburg on a Saturday from Edinburgh and price was about the same once I added ski bag, which you don't have to do BA as you can take a double ski bag instead of a suitcase with them. It might be worth hiring a car than private transfer, that way you can do other resorts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@larry1950, yes that's why we usually do Crystal! Looking to reduce the price a bit if possible.

think flights will be about £130 including bags and got one private transfer quote that works out £90pp which I think is ok (not sure as never done one before! Awaiting on some emails!). A shared transfer wasn't much less.

It just seems to be a half board hotel that is looking costly- or am looking at the wrong ones!

I know self catering would be much cheaper but not really up for it and would want it to be as hassle free as possible for the first timers
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@MCL, My children and adults so we can choose a date and wait for late deals and the snow, good luck in reducing the price.
snow report
Had a reasonable quote from Hotel Alpenaussicht bringing the flight, private transfer and HB hotel in at £300 per person cheaper than Crystal. Good reviews on Tripadvisor too.

Now just need to work out a rough cost for rental, lessons and passes. Never booked ski school in Europe before. It would be good for us all to spend some time together on the snow over the week so what would be best option for this? Does ski school last all day?

Can anyone recommend a ski school for the beginner skiers and snowboarders? And also a rental place?

Thanks

MCL
ski holidays
I've done various places in Austria DIY from Edinburgh. Usually end up flying EasyJet to Munich then hiring a car. Hiring a minibus can be a cost effective way of getting to resort, even if you're not planning on using it all week. Have a look at some of the holiday car rental websites like AutoEurope for deals.

If you want to save money you could take a minibus and stay just outside of Obergurgl or Solden, say in Vent or one of the wee places along the road.

If you're looking at hotels in Obergurgl I'd happily recommend the Jenewein. It's a lovely place and in the best location in the village - right at the end of the piste and adjacent to the main gondola and chairlift.

You're probably ahead of me on this as you've got a quote from the Alpenaussicht, but I've recently discovered that Austrian hotels much prefer to deal direct. They tend to offer better deals direct than what they show on the likes of Booking.Com - e.g. hotel I'm going to in Lech next week gave me a lower price than they had online and also threw in free ski passes.
snow conditions
@MCL, Stayed at the Hotel Alpenaussicht in January, very nice hotel and we were quite happy there but for the noise from the heating system, it was OK overnight but started at 6.30am and sounded like a mobile phone vibrating on a desk, think other parts of the hotel were OK just certain rooms, hope they have managed to fix it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy