Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The First Skis You Owned

Poster: A snowHead
How sad is it that I still have my first pair of skis in the attic?

My current skis range from Blizzard Mag SL's to the skis I take out west on vacations 174 Soft Bros.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

How sad is it that I still have my first pair of skis in the attic?

Wow! Those have the same K2 logo as the new Extremes! Retro...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lets see from Memory, the ski's I purchased
Atomic Driver 180 + Tyrolia
Atomic ARC 200 + Ess Nevada
Head Hot 180 + Tyrolia
Voelkl Renntiger 200 + Geze
Voelk Renntiger 203 + Geze
Voelkl P9 205 + Geze
Voelkl P9 205 + Salomon 747
Voelkl P9 210 + Salomon 747
Voelkl DH 223 +Salomon 747
Voelkl P9 213 + Salomon 747
Bought new when I needed them till 1986 less skiing more working
Salomon 3S + 2S + 757
Atomic Carve 190 + Atomic Race bindings
Salomon GS Lab 181 +916
Salomon SL Lab 165 + 916
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my first skis in 1972 were black Head Jks ..short for those days 209mm and had ESS 3 bindings bought from Ellis Brigham in Manchester ..(they only had one shop then) ...sorry to say I bent them cant remember what I got then but now I have rossignol World cup 9xt's (2006)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1979 Olin Mark III S with Look 77 bindings and Scott boots.

I want to try to ski them but my boots are too big. Anybody know if they binding can be adjusted or does it have to be re-drilled?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1989/90 - K2 TR Comp 195cm. Lasted me well until starting to look seriously dated (or is that 'retro'?)

a few hired skis post 2000, then.....

2006/07 - Atomic GS9 170cm. Love 'em.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bill Carpenter wrote:
1979 Olin Mark III S with Look 77 bindings and Scott boots.

I want to try to ski them but my boots are too big. Anybody know if they binding can be adjusted or does it have to be re-drilled?

I should imagine that 30 year old bindings are way out of warranty. I would certainly get them tested before risking using them again.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Found old instructions and they are measure the boot, find the boot center point, screw into place set your din and never change your boots.

Hate to have them become just more ski art.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
'09 Missions
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fergus wrote:
'09 Missions

Just think - give it 20 years and they'll look totally uncool. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well this thread does bring back some memories. Especially of old straight skis that were hard work in any conditions.

Started early 1970's with a pair of Yamaha 190's yellow with white spots and Look bindings, so cool Smile
Rossignol F3 205
Rossignol Freestyle 200
Dynastar Omeglass 203
Blizzard Firebird Pro 210
Blizzard Firebird Pro 201
Olin Test 205 Slalom (I didn't own these but used them for a season as part of a R&D program)
Ramer 180
Fischer RC4 205
Fischer RC4 205, replacement for first pair which fell apart after about seven days
Atomic Beta Carve 926
Rossignol Powair 183
Salamon XW Fury X14 177

I may have missed a few pairs but that what happens with age Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First - 1990 - Rossignol Dakar III (basic wood core ski)
- 1992 - Salomon Force 9 3S (PR7 - Wow!)
- 1994 - Salomon Evolution 9 (PR8 - 204)
- 1996 - K2 '3' (first parabolic - 188)
- 1998 - K2 Merlin IV (the one with the computer inside - 188)
- 2001 - Volkl P40 (still in use by AdrianV - 178)
- 2003 - Salomon Crossmax 10 (170)
- 2006 - Atomic LT12pb (169) utterly awesome...

Most people use skis that are to long...... Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just bought my first set of skis

head C260I 170cm

very happy with them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm well I think the first pair that were mine were wooden with cable bindings and about 3ft long, Oh and they were red snowHead

First pair I bought Rossignol DV6s

Then Head Cyber 28x

Lastly Head GS RD skis
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is my first post here on snowheads, so I figured this would be as good a place to start as any....
My first skis were Elan CR 165's with Tyrolia 60 bindings 1979-1982
My next pair were Vielhaber Microfusion MTB 190's with Tyrolia 280D bindings 1982-YESTERDAY!!

I finally took the plunge and ordered myself a new pair after getting laughed out loud at on the Cairngorm after that big dump about 4-6 weeks ago, mind you it had been a long time since I had seen every run up and, well, running. I knew they had seen better days, the segmented edges were coming apart and looked more like a row of broken teeth, and they were so blunt that the merest hint of ice caused them to faint. That's really why I enlisted here, to try and get some gen on what to buy next. So after much deliberation and research I opted for a pair of Atomic Drive 11's (anyone got any feedback on them?). On the young lad in the shop's advice I got the 172's, I just hope they are not too short. My partner says that ski technology has improved so much that you don't need the same length as you used to (I hope she is right). So I'm off to Saas-Fee in a fortnight and can't to try these babies out. Hell, I might even buy some new boots when I go to get the bindings set, my old step-in Salomon SX80's might just look too tatty!!!
snow conditions
Dynamic VR 25 Tubular Cs 205cm. Floppy and like skiing a blancmange, especially with Look turntable bindings! 1982, changed these for VR27 SL with cracked sintered edges that were so hard and unforgiving I really couldn't ski them, but they were very cheap and I loved them. Then some Head Cyber something or others. Now Salomon Xmax 10s's - I haven't really been trying have I?
snow conditions
dode, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Retro-Respect! Hope you have a good Nevica one-piece to go with the boots!
snow report
dode wrote:
This is my first post here on snowheads, so I figured this would be as good a place to start as any....
My first skis were Elan CR 165's with Tyrolia 60 bindings 1979-1982

Nice. What colour? Do you remember the number?

I had a pair of CR 03s (brown with red/yellow EE trim) with Tyrolias in '78.

Quote:

My next pair were Vielhaber Microfusion MTB 190's with Tyrolia 280D bindings 1982-YESTERDAY!!

NICE!
snow conditions
Just bought my first pair yesterday, some scott punishers in the snow and rock sale
ski holidays
Olin 930's 180cm, painted a "C" to make my real name on them (Look Bindings)
Lange 210cm GS skis I got cheap (Marker Rotamat bindings) beautiful bindings
K2 MerlinV 183cm salamon bindings

otherwise borrowed skis from a mate in the industry
snow report
1998 - 1998 First pair were an ex rental pair of salomon bump skis that i'll say i was poorly advised to buy. Got rid of them about 6 weeks later.
1998 - 1999 K2 fours were the next pair i had they were good skis but had gone flat early into my second season. They did however have a cool little light on them.
1999 - 2000 Atomic heli skis after the k2's managed to break them by the end of that season.
2000 - 2001 Volkl Snow rangers after that. Managed to loose one of them after crashing in a wet sluff.
2001 - 2002 Atomic (something or others, no idea what the model was but they were ex-rentals ridiculously fat with offset bindings & only cost 400FFr from a rental shop)
2005 - Now Movement thunders for the last few years.
2008 - Now Kingswood Archetypes i got last year. They're SWEET!

Something like that anyways. I'm sure i've destroyed a couple of other pairs of skis, & have a recolection of having a pair or two of dynastars along the way but can't for the life of me remember what they were.
snow conditions
My first pair of skis at 4 years old were Edsbyn kids cross country skis picked up at a car boot sale and were similar to this:

http://rodrigue500.pppoe.ca/sk4968.JPG

Old school enough for you? As a kid in Norway I went through 2 pairs of madshus, 2 pairs of fischers and one pair of kneissels, most of these skis are still in the loft.

After moving back to the UK I started alpine skiing on holidays and have used all manner and quality of rental gear over the years. At 24 I'm finally earning enough to buy decent skis and own atomic SL12s and 179 BROs Very Happy
snow report
comprex wrote:

Nice. What colour? Do you remember the number?

I had a pair of CR 03s (brown with red/yellow EE trim) with Tyrolias in '78.

They were a bluey grey colour with red and blue intertwined E's. If I can suss out how to get a pic on this I will dig them outta the garage.
latest report
dode, pic upload is available at the snow media zone http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/index.php

IIRC the red/blue was for the MD 05 and CR 05 models, heavier and damper (i.e. more adult) than what I had.

Core rot eventually did mine in; couldn't get a binding screw to hold.
ski holidays
I had a pair of PRE skis musta been around 85 or so and at the time thought they were pretty hard core
latest report
A photo of our skiroom yesterday. My first pair of skis are the Kastles in the middle, circa 1988

ski holidays
Scott Neo first and current ski.
Swore blind that I'd never buy skis as I believed rental was the way to go economically. Then as if by magic (and the click of a mouse) these multicoloured planks arrived in the post.

Just back from 3V had fantastic time and the Neos were even better than I could have hoped for. They were awesome on piste and in powder. I'm 5'11' about 85kg and ski the 176cm. They do ski short. I tried the shorter model in Tamworth (168cm I think) and they were like snow blades but the 176 was perfect for me. They carved easily and switched from edge to edge quickly and easily. They had excellent edge grip and decent float on soft snow. The wide stiff tips blasted through crud easily. They are stiffer and slightly narrower at the waist than the more famous Scott Mission, which I also considered, I also looked at Salomon Tornado which I liked as a lively ski and the Lord which was IMO to soft and not really engaging on piste although very easy to use. IMO the Neo does EVERYTHING better than either of the Salomons I looked at. While the Neos do like to be skied agresively they are not a difficult ski to use.

Its not a ski I could get much info about (unlike the mission). But anyone I spoke to who had tried them all said they are a really great ski, they spoke the truth. However given Scotts popularity in recent years I wondering who else is skiing all the Scott skis people are raving about, as I only saw one other pair of Scott skis (not a current model) and one Scott snowboard on my whole trip (and I was looking out for them)!

I am really delighted with this impulse buy even though I will never recoup the costs of buying, servicing and transporting through not having to rent. Got them at a good price though from www.filarinskis.co.uk so thats a start Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
RPF wrote:
given Scotts popularity in recent years I wondering who else is skiing all the Scott skis people are raving about, as I only saw one other pair of Scott skis (not a current model) and one Scott snowboard on my whole trip (and I was looking out for them)!

See the second and forth pairs from the left in my photo above wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't remember the first pair other than they were over 2m long Shocked
then it was:
K2 Merlin III - 190ish
K2 Merlin IV - 180ish
Salomon Scream 10 Pilots - 180ish
Salomon Scream Xtra Hots - 170ish
now its
Most of Kiwi1's 'bargain sell off' Icelantic range - 143-185 depending on the model Very Happy
& a pair of Atomic SX11's
ski holidays
Quote:

They did however have a cool little light on them.

So did the Merlins - sweeeeet wink
latest report
Patch,
Quote:

See the second and forth pairs from the left in my photo above

Think I was typing while you were posting Blush

Thats a nice collection. Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

- 1998 - K2 Merlin IV (the one with the computer inside - 188)

telford_mike, Ooooh did they? I never even knew. that explains how brainy I felt when I was 'at one with my skis'. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

I've heard that several manufacturers are working on computerised skis

easiski, haven't you heard - they were in our Merlins in the 90's Shocked
snow report
Well....Without trying to date myself too badly, here's a list of the skis I have owned (there were more from a younger age, but can't remember the specifics)

Rossignol ST Competition - 172cm - First racing ski at an early age
Olin Mark III - 170cm - First recreational ski at same early age
Kneissl Superflex - 195cm - Recommended by my Brother as a decent mogul ski (they weren't)
Rossignol 4S - 200cm - Great all-round ski
K2 Extreme FX2 8.3 - 195cm - One of my favorites of all time! Excellent Energy Return!
K2 Merlin V - 189cm - Heavy, Unforgiving, Mach 3 capable.
Salomon X-Scream 9 - 179cm - Way more fun than the Merlin V's
Rossignol Bandit X - 184cm - Good out West, but not good on Eastern hard pack.
Volant Machete Mc G - 180cm - Another of the best skis I have owned! Still use them occasionally.
Rossignol Zenith Z9 - 162cm - Too short for me. Carved like crazy, but not enough ski when we got some real snow.
K2 Apache Recon - 170cm - Great all around ski. Not spectacular in any one way. My daily go-to ski when conditions are unknown.
Black Diamond Machine - 168cm - Experimental mount with alpine bindings. Very quick in trees and steeps. Good with deeper snow, but also able to throw you for a loop if you're not careful. Designed as a telemark ski.
Ski Logik Rave TT - 175cm - Not an Eastern ski. All wood core with no metal reinforcement. Heavy but nimble in the right snow conditions.
Volkl Kendo - 170cm - 2013 version - Will get on them this weekend (took the bindings, Marker Griffon 13's, from my Rave's).

I have had many other "experimental" setups, and loaners, which I haven't mentioned here.
ski holidays
First pair was some dynastars bought secondhand in the mid 80s, long and straight, guess about 190cm, just used for mucking about on the local hills with no instruction, of course the year I bought them was the first year we stopped getting proper snowfalls in winter as I'd grown up with.
Today will be out in the powder in L2A on my Armada TSTs and have my Storm Rages with me as well.
snow report
First skis I bought myself. K2 612s
ski holidays
My first skis were a pair of Icelantic Pilgrims. Actually, I bought them from ^ Dot. Laughing
ski holidays
First set I ever owned were a pair of very cheap and cheerful Dynamic VR20. I suppose that they really were pretty crap but I bought them in a moment of madness at the end of my first week of skiing when the bug bit. They were good sacrifical rock hoppers for subsequent years though.

The skis that I really miss were the second pair that I bought. White Fischer SC4 Vacuum. I even forgave them for the hour that we lost while looking for one of them (white skiis are not good offpiste Smile ) when it popped of in some deepish powder. I only got rid of them when I ran out of edge to sharpen.
ski holidays
Dynastar Dynasty (the gold one)"Airflow" 195cms, lovely balanced ski, great feel, precise yet a tad forgiving.
Dynastar Course SL (pink base) 200cms, really grippy, fast edge to edge, nice ski.
Salomon Equipe 9000 2S (Power 8/210cms), the first of Salomon's definitive monocoque skis. Quite a revolution, super stable on a single edge, great feel.
Dynastar X9 195cms, first skis to dabble in strengthening the binding underfoot and extending the construction above the edges to provide the flex patten. Very nice ski.
Nordica Wave 190cms, carbon fibre genius of a ski.
Blade GS Titanal 186cms, hand made in Italy by select and serious racers, full FIS spec, titanium everything, fast and a blast.
Movement Flame 179cms, Swiss rubbish.
Salomon Euipe 2V Race 186cms, great piste ski, stiff in the tail, subtle front radius to get into the turn, nice ski
Lorme Rosewood 178cms (matched handmade pair made by Lacroix) posey titanium and rosewood top surface, good at most things, great at none, cruisy-cruisy fluidity, superb feedback.
Vist Race GS 180cms, killer piste ski, utterly kick ass, never skied on anything better.

The above just a selection of the better skis I've had the pleasure of skiing on.

Now got a pair of Nordica Speedmachine Mach 2 Power, 178 cms, nice and racy piste blaster.
Plus a pre-production East Coast boutique Big Mountain ski based on the Line Influence 105, but stiffer, 186cms.
Plus a couple of monoskis for reto-fun.
snow report
When I first started skiing my family couldn't afford to buy (or rent) skis for me so I skied my stepmom's Kneissls. Way too long (I was 7 or 8 yo) and very difficult to control. I skied them for about 10 years and after that I skied very little until I lost my mind a few years ago... The first skis that were actually mine are my Stöckli Spirit Globes (after them I've bought 8 more pairs, alpine, tele, AT).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy