Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Killington weekend mid-April - worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Dear Snowheads

I'm doing some work in Boston in a couple of week's time, and I'm toying with the idea to tag on a weekend trip to Killington (other suggestions welcome). Its not about getting skiing days in, just taking the opportunity while there as I've never skiied in the US. I know its East coast, and end of season, so wondering if its worth the trip, car hire, ski rental, lift pass etc? From what I can tell there is the odd inch of snow falling now and again, but its pretty warm 10-15C during the day, some rain, so I would expect conditions are quite poor?

There looks to be some fun events on - the mogul challenge, which I wouldn't dream of entering, but looks fun to watch.

Is it worth a weekend trip?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Themasterpiece,
Definitely worth a trip! We went to Killington a few years ago at Easter and they had "only" the runs open that had artificial snow cover - 67 of them!

The skiing was excellent, so if you have the opportunity to go I would do so - not least as (I assume) someone else is paying for you to to get to the USA.

I think you would be mad not to go.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I live in Maine, USA. The northeast USA has had a disastrous season and many ski areas have already closed early. There is no base to speak of - what natural snow falls these days is gone within 24 hours. I would carefully look at the webcams if I were you. Things are warming up as you rightly mention - they will not be able to make snow for much longer. You cannot rely on the resort websites for an accurate report of conditions. There are plenty of better things to do around Boston than try and get up to Killington for what will likely be marginal conditions at best.

I have done all my skiing in VDI and Espace Killy this year!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bergmeister, yes work is paying for flights etc up until Friday then I'm on my own. Killington website says 54 trails open now.

@Vasta, that was my fear. The website has a fairly honest description of conditions though they are obviously trying to put on a brave face. Will check the webcams over the next couple of weeks and decide whether its worth the trip or there is more fun to be had in Boston or NYC.

Thanks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Themasterpiece, If the snow's adequate and they are still open, Mount Snow is nearest to Boston. And perfectly fun for a weekend.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, just looked at their website and they close 4th April Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You might look at Stowe? Skiing has been surprisingly good this week though it's raining right now. I've heard the poorest snow year in 80 years. Very little natural snow but the man made snow is still holding up. Don't know if anything will be open by the 15th. Would definitely not make firm plans ahead of time, but you could could keep an eye on it and might get lucky. My guess is there will be very little left open.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like the European Alps, global warming is killing US eastcoast skiing.

Killy used to open from Oct to Jun. Now it struggles to make Dec to Apr.

Half the lifts are already closed and most trails are brown today. You won't find much left in Killy by early-mid-Apr this season.

But even with only 2 or 3 lifts open, it will still be worth the trek for a weekend. Reasonable scenery on the driveup and plenty of places to eat, drink or bike / hike.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Whitegold, dear oh dear.

Where did snow making become popular. And why?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is no way I would be driving up to Killington for a weekend if only 2 or 3 lifts were open (and I love Killington! - rented a house there for a season etc.).
There are too many great things to do in the Northeast (non-skiing related) to spend the time and expense to drive up there to slide around on some brown slush. Take the train to NYC if you have had enough of Boston by the weekend but Boston is a great City to visit - very historic (by US standards), great museums, parks, shops and art galleries etc.
Hope this helps.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had a couple of days sightseeing in Boston and that was enough. I'd rather be skiing, regardless of the conditions - but then I'm easily pleased. Very Happy Give me a mountain instead of a city any time!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Vasta wrote:
There is no way I would be driving up to Killington for a weekend if only 2 or 3 lifts were open (and I love Killington! - rented a house there for a season etc.).

I do that almost EVERY YEAR! (though this year might be an exception).

Every spring, I made the pilgrimage to K to go up and down Superstar (and whatever other of its neighboring trails that are still open). That's 2 or 3 TRAILS, never mind 2 or 3 LIFTS.

That said, condition has been bad this year. So the OP should keep that in mind. Anything anyone said based on their one time trip on another year may or may not be relevant. Depends on your expectation, you may find it brilliant or terrible.

Quote:
There are too many great things to do in the Northeast (non-skiing related) to spend the time and expense to drive up there to slide around on some brown slush. Take the train to NYC if you have had enough of Boston by the weekend but Boston is a great City to visit - very historic (by US standards), great museums, parks, shops and art galleries etc.

There're a lot of things to do in anywhere around the world too! I will never have enough time to do them all. It's a matter of choosing what to do on each trip. You may prefer to go to galleries while I may prefer to go diving in murky cold water! I would never tell anyone what not to do (or do) without knowing that person's priorities.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Checked the weather and webcams at the end of last week, and the recent spate of warm weather and rain was disastrous. So I decided to leave my gear at home. Now I'm here, we've had 6 inches of snow... Typical. Not sure if it will last to the weekend though
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unbelievably, Killington is reporting 32 trails open! That's a lot more than many could hope for.

Forecast for the weekend doesn't look too good though. Rain on Thur/Fri, cold on Sat/Sun. Likely re-frozen surface resembling coral reef.

Saturday has a bit of snow in the forecast. But you won't know till Saturday. For us locals who can jump into our own car (no cost), with our own gear (no cost), we may take a chance (cost: a tank of gas). For a visitor, add the cost of hired cars and hired gear, I don't think it's worth the gamble.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's been snowing in Boston the past few days. Unusual for the time of year.

Killy got a sprinkle, but still only 4 lifts open today.

May be better to go to Loon. Much closer to Boston. Today, there were 27 trails open.

latest report
I've personally hung to skis up for the season, if it can even be called that this year. Horrible, just horrible. I would be going as far north as I can, and jay peak fits that bill. Not much further of a drive from Boston, and I have had good april days there. No idea when they close this year however.
ski holidays
If the OP had gone to Loon Mountain this weekend, he coulda done pondskimming.

Good way to close the season:

http://www.loonmtn.com/experience/events/slushpool-and-wet-tug-o-war#.VwkfIBLTXMI

snow conditions
Is that from the Eddie the Eagle film?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy