Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles help, please! (Internet is useless)

Poster: A snowHead
My Oakley Stockholm are trashed Sad . So, shiny new goggles are sought and I thought it would be easy. How wrong I was!

I have a tiny face so I need women's/small face goggles. But it's almost impossible to search for these. I put phrases in search engines and even though I get lots of hits, most of them turn out to be either not sized or (low quality) kids' ones. Or, when I find one that looks suitable, it comes with the wrong lens. I only want a lens for very low/flat light and falling snow conditions. Anything else I use sunglasses. Oh, and I'd like good optical quality and triple foam for comfort. Not too much to ask?

What I don't want/need is OTG, I don't wear them. Or helmet compatibility, don't wear one. Or ease of lens change, I only want one lens type.

I've spent about 4/5 hours on t'internet and got absolutely nowhere. Any suggestions, lovely snowHeads? snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@maggi, Bollé Duchess, come in a variety of lens types.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes internet is useless. Never try wearing the internet when skiing or boarding Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scott "Dana" with Light Sensitive Bronze Chrome Lens, like these:

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/epages/es122229.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122229/Products/239991lsbcblk

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 25-03-16 16:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, thanks. Looks very nice but doesn't appear to have a lens category 1, though.

@Old Fartbag, thanks, too. These were on my shortlist.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@maggi, they do some photochromic options though, and I can recommend Bollé for poor light conditions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bolle do a high quality NXT lens called "Modulator Light Control", which covers Catagories 1 to 3.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, those are on my own shopping list. My vermillion modulator ones have a scratch in the middle of the lens.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@maggi, I have a similar problem - same goggles, also trashed. Not looking forward to finally replacing them and all the faff that entails.

However, if you want to stick with the Stockholms, contact Oakley customer services - even though they've been discontinued, they still have a stock of some of the lenses and may have what you need.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, having looked for some new Stockholm lenses I didn't find any so I've already chucked them in the bin.

@Hells Bells, @Old Fartbag, I expect I'll end up with some fancy changeable lenses but I only really need a lens that is very good in terrible light/heavy snowfall. I don't care how good they are in sun/changeable conditions as I won't even contemplate putting them on until I really can't see a thing!

I now have 5 models on my shortlist. None are* exactly what I want and none are* available anywhere nearby so I can't try them on. Thinking of getting it down to 3, sending off for them and sending 2 back. OH says I'm nuts and should man up and go to Decathlon. Thoughts?

(* Grammar Police alert - I know it should be "none is" but it sounds weird.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://uk.oakley.com/en/womens/goggles/prizm-trade-goggles/a-frame-2-0-prizm/product/WGOO7044PZ/?skuCode=OO7044-42&categoryCode=w0308

These are the best lenses (Rose Prizm) by far in flat, low contrast, light. A frame is a small oakley goggle.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mishmash, thanks but I've actually tried the A frames and they're too big (a pity as the Rose Prizm sounds great). The Stockholms are/were smaller. Lots of manufacturers put their medium models in the women's section but also in the men's. That's what I meant about the internet being useless Evil or Very Mad .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Summit expose IIs - only the s models.

https://www.summitworldwide.eu/shop/xpose-ii-whitey-white-purple-w-ice-blue/

My wife has these and they look great. The lens change is easy and frame size is smaller than most.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wife has a small face and has Smith I/OS. They're perfect. Before the Smiths she had some Scotts.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dragon do small face variants. DLX or something like that for large and DSX for small.
latest report
Questions...Is this a serious thread? Can @maggi be a real person? Has April 1st come early this year?

Not sure about anyone else, but I have a major problem with the concept of only 1 pair of goggles or only one lens type being enough for all situations, next I'll be reading a thread that asks which 1 ski quiver is the perfect for all conditions too! rolling eyes

Please please don't let my fiancee read this, she'll want me to get rid of all my completely necessary skis and goggles that I totally need just in case! I mean, surely one cannot have too many goggles? It's all about the pfaff isn't it?

But since buying my Oakley rose prizm goggles with a spare iridium lens for those sunny days, I now seem to leave the other 4 pairs of goggles at home! Er.....Let's hope I never find that elusive perfect all mountain ski too!
Laughing
snow conditions
The Scott Dana can be bought with the Illuminator Blue Chrome Lens, which is Category 1.

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/epages/es122229.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122229/Products/239991whitesil-illCHK
ski holidays
@gixxerniknik, maggi already explained that she uses sunglasses in good light and only needs goggles for flat light and when it's snowing.

I only have one pair of goggles and I use them always. Ditto skis.
snow report
@queen bodecia, yes, it seemed quite a simple requirement. Find site, (manufacturer or shop), filter by size and lens category and I'd get a nice simple list to choose from. But all I'm getting are massive lists where everything medium/unisex is listed and everything with 2 interchangable lenses or photochromic ones which I don't want or need. I really don't want to be paying extra for something I'll never use.

gixxerniknik wrote:
next I'll be reading a thread that asks which 1 ski quiver is the perfect for all conditions too!

Exactly the opposite! It's like I'm asking specifically for short, short-radius, turny piste skis as I already have longer fatter ones for off piste. And I'm getting results for longer mid-fat all mountain ones that may be brilliant but are not what I want!

Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions. Anyone else, feel free to make more as I'm leaving it now until after Easter. (If I leave it until next year, I'll have forgotten I haven't got any and have a panic attack when I can't find them to pack Embarassed ). Old Fartbag, your last suggestion is now top of my list Cool .
snow report
My Anon goggles are quite small, I'll try and find what model they are.

However, if I was buying new now I'd get Oakleys with the Rose Prizm lenses, everyone raves about them.

Probably these:

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Flight-Deck-XM-Ski-Goggles-%252d-Matte-White-%7B47%7D-Prizm-Rose.html
snow conditions
There are 2 reasons why a Photochromic Lens can make sense:

- The day may start out snowy with flat light, but end up with the sun coming out. Category 1 lenses can be fairly blinding in sunlight...not an issue if you carry Sunglasses as well.

- If the weather is bright, but really cold. I'm someone who likes to wear sunglasses, but the weather in Tignes this Jan was so cold (-20 deg C, with wind chill making it feel colder), that skiing without goggles was not really an option, especially when the wind got up as well. A versatile lens makes life more comfortable...in my case, the Oakley Prizm Rose was excellent.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
@gixxerniknik, maggi already explained that she uses sunglasses in good light and only needs goggles for flat light and when it's snowing.

I only have one pair of goggles and I use them always. Ditto skis.
+1
latest report
I think I would want to try them before buying as they are all very different sizes. Daughter has small face and we tried loads before finding ones that worked for her. You need to go shopping the internet is useless for finding things you want to actually fit you.

You can always buy them on internet after if you really want.
snow report
@Jake43, I don't really want to buy on the internet to save a few quid. I would love to actually try them on but Nottingham is useless for ski shops. Snow and Rock have lots on their website but after a trip to their shop, they don't actually stock the whole range. Most shops only stock 2 or 3 brands, and not all of the models, anyway. Oakley seems to be the most common in shops, I guess they make a good profit on them.

What did your daughter buy in the end?
snow report
@maggi, I know what you mean, there is never a huge choice over here.

It was awhile ago but I think it was SPY+ Plattoon. http://www.spyoptic.com/store/women/goggles/snow.html. It was over in Whistler, as the light was so poor she (like you) needed something for flat light. The other benefit was she could walk outside the shop and see which of all the different lens colour options was best in real conditions. She has had them for 4 years (I guess) and skis all season now so they have lasted well.

Sounds like you need a trip to Whistler Shocked Or more seriously wait until you get where you are going and get some you are happy with over there. There will be loads more choice. Best of luck.
latest report
I too have a very small head. Smith I/OS great, or Adidas ID2 Pure if you can find them.
My fav are Oakley (with asian fit versions widely available on the internet). These are made smaller for various eastern markets. I love the Canopy...
ski holidays
@wiigman, you can't have a very small head and love the Canopy. My (adult) son has a pair. They are medium sized men's not small women's Puzzled

I thought the Asian fit was for flatter faces and noses rather than generally, smaller narrower faces
snow conditions
Just to put this thread to bed. I sent off for the Scott Dana and Smith Virtue, both women's goggles, and neither fitted well. The Virtue were better looking but I could hardly breathe. Due to the cost of sending stuff back, and the usual post office queues, I decided not to sent off for any more and just go shopping. After trying on a few, including some "Youth size", I still didn't find anything that fitted well. (The woman in the shop said, "I don't mean this the wrong way, but you have the tiniest face I have ever seen on an adult". rolling eyes )

Anyway, I've bought the Oakley A frames. Yes, the new 2.00 version is "leaner and cleaner" than the old one. Yes, they're still too big but due to being reasonably flexible, not too uncomfortable when tightened up. Yes, my son says they cover most of my face and look "ridiculous". So why did I buy them.

Yes, the hype is true. The Rose Prism lens was a revelation! It was like someone turning the contrast up on the TV! I took them home and even my OH, who is never impressed by anything, noticed the difference. Son is also going to buy some replacement lenses for his own goggles.

So, I'm sorted. Well, sort of sorted - but well, nothing's perfect! Thanks, all, for your help snowHead .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@maggi, I do not know what they put in the "Rose Prism" but for low light conditions they make a huge difference. So glad you are sorted.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy