Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cortina , short trip review.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just returned home from two fantastic days skiing. We went to Cortina a lovely little village. Because we only had two days we didn't bother with the superski pass, and just got the Cortina ski pass. The first day we went to the Cristallo area, ie that side of the Village. We wanted to do the Staunies run which looks fun , however we weren't allowed to ski from the very top, but just 2/3 of it. That was a bit dissapointing. The snow was good though and we skied all the Runs which were quite short, and not very challanging. The snow was good so we messed about off piste between runs and down under some lift lines which were well skied and full of bumps, So we enjoyed our day. The next day we went to the Tofana side of the mountain. We had a ball, lots to ski, and if you went up to the very top of the mountain, you could ski a decent red, then do a blue to the top of the Focella Rossa, down that, to the bottom of the mountain, get a chair lift up and ski over to the olympic run , then over to the a few decent blacks. It was a hoot. Again because the snow was good there was lots of off piste that wasn't over tracked, . There was one run that was fairly steep and was ungroomed it was full of high bumps which left us with tired legs when we were finished. It is track 33 and well worth a go. We did the Focella Rossa twice, first time in the morning when the snow was soft and the bumps were soft so it was a fast spin. The second time was more of a challange for me anyways, as I had skied alot during the day, alternating from the icy steep olympic run, to the steep bumps on 33, then up to the top of the mountain to ski in fog on bumps , and by the time we got to the top of the foccella rossa , it was now deep bumps, and icy, and my legs were tired. They also had half the gorge fenced off which made it more narrow, and on tired legs it was a challange. By the end of it I was in bits, telling myself off for my brain writing cheques my legs weren't able to cash, Very Happy . We went back up the chair to the top of the Tofana run, had a leg break and a drink, when the piste bashers told us to leave, we headed off for home which was so much fun, nobody else on the run so we went fast , and ended our second day on a real buzz. Our son had joined us from Germany for the two days and we just loved Cortina. I would return for longer next time and get the super ski pass.
One thing I noticed was while the area was fantastic for boarding, we saw very few boarders.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It sounds fab. Great that it was not busier! Will have to aim to get up there with the motorhome next spring. I always thought the Sella Ronda was very popular and busy all the time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cortina really is pretty. Once you have the dolomiti pass and good snow you should consider going by car to Lagazuoi next time. On the pass there is a gondola from where you can do the famous Hidden Valley run. Ending a place where horses drag you to the bus back for a few €, or to the Alta Badia side of things. Very fun, and somewhat remote as you go along.

Also from Lagazuoi top you can reach the Cinque Torri slopes on skis, not large but very nice and with an inviting hut. A day well spent as an alternative to the home slopes of Cortina, which is really just enough for the first couple of days. A car - and cleared roads - are handy for the full Dolomiti experience, like Alta Badia or Sella Ronda. If so inclined, search for the Gourmet Skisafari experience in Alta Badia...http://www.altabadia.org/en/italian-alps-dolomites/food-and-drink/gourmet-skisafari.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tell me about this little village. It was a big sprawling town when I was there earlier in the year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did a review for the Great Ski guide but haven't added it yet. here are my thoughts.

Cortina is steeped in history. '58 Olympics and all that. The lifts and infrastructure are antiquated compared to the rest of Dolomites. Not many people go there compared to years ago so the slopes are quite. In fact, during the day I was there it was probably the quietest ski resort I'd ever skied at. It took some getting used to. Generally short runs but empty so lovely. Lunch took a while. 20 minutes before the waiter came, then twenty minutes for the order. But fresh table clothes were laid and it was delicious when it arrived. A large wealthy looking Italian family arrived and parked on a huge table for the whole afternoon in the sun. then it hit me. This is a place to relax more than ski. It's very laid back. It's old money. You sit in the sun, drink fine wine, eat gourmet food and ski a bit if you can be bothered.
The skiing is polarised - mainly easy blues with a couple of great steep blacks off dedicated lifts.
The valley is big and the three main areas not linked. The best skiing up off each side of the road up under Christalla. (If it was Madonna there'd be a travellator over the road (hence most wealthy lazy skiers now go to Madonna)
The scenery is incredible, even by Dolomite standards. I thought Civetta had the best views in the Alps but I think Cortina pips it.
If you want to mile munch on skis - don't go. If you want difficult skiing - don't go -there's not enough.
If you want a unique skiing experience, incredibly relaxed, great food, stunning views, a sense of history and an atmosphere that makes you relax and unwind then go.
I know many who've been for the day from the main dollies and thought the skiing on offer is not worth the trip. I personally loved it. You don't go there for the skiing, you go for the experience. I hear the boutique shopping is great too.
Cinque Torri is under the same pass but quite way out - probably as close to Civetta and Armerentola. It's an amazing place. A few lifts on a moonscape with amazing refuged serving great food and all night stays with hot tubs under the stars. You can also ski off the back off lagazuoi down the hidden valley to get the horse drawn drag and a taxi back up. Skiing in Cortina makes you feel like an extra in a bond film. It's as if you're going to sit down in restaurant and find Sophia Loren or Bridgit Bardot next to you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We only had two days, and we skied plenty , we went off piste in a few places and that added to the fun. There were some old lifts alright, but it was ok as it was sunny weather and no ques. I would go back and do the whole area, as the dolamites are lovely. I didn't find it over pricey,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy