Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are there any affordable 3V lunch places ?

Poster: A snowHead
Will be taking a couple of teenagers to Courchevel 1850 over Easter and would appreciate any suggestions as to any mountain restaurants that might serve affordable pizza/pasta/burger+frites, particularly around Courchevel or Meribel. I am not familiar with the 3V but have heard it is even more expensive than Val d'Isere !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No more expensive than Val at all, as long as you avoid the crazy top spots in and about 1850 (don't need think about the places either side of the Altiport for example). For good value (at risk of sounding like a one woman advert for Tim Wall's businesses), Pub le Ski Lodge at the bottom in La Tania will do you decent value burgers and over in Meribel Village the Lodge du Village is a lovely spot for good value pizzas in the sun on the terrace -it's on the other side of the roundabout at the bottom of the Lapin run in the village. For a bit more style, the Bouc Blanc at the top of the La Tania bubble is very popular-booking advisable.
Can the teens be persuaded that a good picnic is an option one lunchtime? The boulangeries all tend to do decent ready made baguettes, and with some supermarket chocolate bars and other goodies, plus soft drinks, rather than on mountain ones at €6 a pop, it's worth it for a day or two when the weather is good.

Further afield, we like the Chalet du Sunny above Les Menuires, the Arc en Ciel in 1650 proper, the Grand Lac at the bottom of the Granges chair between St Martin and Les Menuires....all could be described as mid price I think.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No idea about pizza, pasta or burgers (I've never actually looked at the menu) but every trip to the 3V for me includes at least one lunch stop at Le Zig-Zag in Mottaret where I just order whatever the plat de jour is. Very reasonably priced and in many, many visits it has never disappointed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Burger bar at mottaret .... Can't remember name .... Someone will !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah. Pub Le Ski Lodge in La Tania run by that headcase Tim Wall. Razz
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pub Le Ski Lodge in La Tania is always good.

The noodle bar under the knife+fork in VT is good value.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What about the place by the side of the nursery slope in Courchevel 1850? It's a snack bar under a hotel. Unhelpful I can't remember either it's name or the name of the piste it's on, but hopefully someone will recognise the description.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bottom of 1650 used to have a very reasonable lunch in the bar I think run by ski Olympic, rockys bar opposite the telecabine in town, things like carbonara and burgers 6 or 7 euros, ideal for teenagers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Used Rocky's Bar in 1650 last week, very reasonable prices.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plat de jour is a very good solution - just make sure to get some extra bread along for those teens - they tend to eat a lot.
We use it all the time just like@swiftoid, good value as meat is enough for 2 at least.
In Mottaret there is a buggetbar where you come down - it is crowded with teens at lunchtime so i guess its not to bad.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from a week in La Tania and would thoroughly recommend the burger, frites and beer (or soft drink) deal in the Chrome Bar for 11 euro. Really decent home made burger as well. Situated piste side in La Tania village at bottom of Folyeres blue run - so easily accessible for all. Enjoy!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@truffaut, We visit a very nice restaurant in 1850 in Courcheval which always stuck me as very good value. It was a small hotel on the main street and called Toviere or something similar in French. However, they served proper food, not pizza or burghers and we always had the plat du jour for about 12 euro.

There was a decent burgher bar in 1650 just by the bottom of the main lift and anotherone in the shopping centre in 1850
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I didn't really find anything. In particular there's a restaurant near the golf course above Meribel villages (after you go past the altiport and across a bridge over the road), avoid it if you have a budget. I ended up there as it looked quite nice and ended up paying about 35 euros for a bottle of coke and a beef/noodle dish that wasn't even that nice. Would far rather have paid 15 euros for self serve tartiflette.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the mountain in courchevel 1850 it has to be the Courcheneige.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Burger and chips unless you donate a kidney.

My, how I love the Dolomites. wink
latest report
There's a wee cracker of a restaurant on the run down into St Martin de Belleville. Chalet de la Loy it's called. It's signposted from the piste and is very good value and really high quality food. Also, as other's have said, Pub le Ski in La Tania. There's a burger kiosk around the Saulire lift which I haven't been to for years but recall used to be quite good and was good value provided you are happy to sit out side on the picnic benches. Likewise I think there is a similar place at Bel Air underneath the main restaurant.
ski holidays
@monkey,

Bel Air is nice and cheap. Shocked
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
@monkey,

Bel Air is nice and cheap. Shocked

There is a small snack bar just down the slope below the restaurant.
snow conditions
@johnE, that place is no longer there it is a christian dior or similar fashion place now . used to go there quite a lot good scoff
latest report
lovley waffles at Chalets du Thoren in VT by Porchette lift - buy 4 get one free - ok so not necassarily cheap but really yummy!
snow report
Everywhere in Les Menuires or in English - The Manures .... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
1650 - The Boulotte, go for a tandoori chicken wrap
1850 - The bakery in the forum
La Tania - Chrome bar and the lodge as above, and ski food to the left of the main piste into LT does cheap pizza and beer. Bouc Blanc is great value and very filling

Meribel - Les Cretes on the Tougnete ridge is great and does the best tarte au citron I've had out here. The Lodge du Village is under new management/ownership and doesn't do pizzas anymore but still has a sunny terrace and a good menu. The ribs are particularly good.

Motteret - Montagne burger, if it is still open that late in the season is the best value feed in the 3 Valleys. Massive burgers smothered in raclette for less than €8. The Krismaran (with the brown cow) is cheap but the service is uniformly awful. Mrs 3Valleysofpow bought a paninni with no filling in there recently!

St Martin, can't remember the name of the bar opposite the St Martin one lift station but it does good burgers.
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
Burger and chips unless you donate a kidney.

My, how I love the Dolomites. wink

I've had some very average 10 euro pizzas in the Dolomites, indeed the 10 euro carbonara we had in Alleghe was utter garbage - a bad carbonara in Italy!

This proves once again that all generalisations are false.
ski holidays
Also if you fancy a decent trip across the valleys it is worth getting to the Ours Blanc in Reberty. I have organised entire ski trips just to go there for lunch a couple of times. Great place, great value, but will cost around 15-20 euros per head. The upside of this is that you might not need to eat again for a couple of days. Proper mountain food.
latest report
@Digger the dinosaur, agreed, I have had just as good food in Serre Chevalier over the last two weeks, if not better, than I have had decent lunches in the Dolomites. My lunch in Claviere last week, raviolini al plin, was decidedly average.
snow report
@Digger the dinosaur, @Hells Bells, Can't agree with you. The quality of Italian food generally beats French as a whole. You of course get the odd exceptions (such as your bad carbonara) as you do with everything in life. Far more often you will find bad food in France than Italy. This is exacerbated in ski resorts as the French appear happy with dodgy tray food where it's not as common in Italy.

Off to Meribel tomorrow. Where I always look forward to lunches in the sun that won't be the case and I'll be hunting to find the places that are not self service overpriced muck that is often served up.
ski holidays
Digger the dinosaur wrote:

This proves once again that all generalisations are false.

It proves that there are exceptions to most rules.

I ski in the Alto Adige region, in 18yrs I've never been served a bad meal and I'm not easily pleased.

Hells Bells. Claviere is in the Italian Alps, not the Dolomites.
latest report
Whoops! Double post.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Legend., I haven't eaten in anywhere with dodgy tray food in SC this fortnight. There are a couple of places we avoid, but they are few and far between. I think it is indeed a sweeping generalisation that Italy is best.

@Mollerski, but it is in Italy, my geography isn't that bad rolling eyes Piemonte food is some of the best in Italy, usually.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@Legend., I haven't eaten in anywhere with dodgy tray food in SC this fortnight. There are a couple of places we avoid, but they are few and far between. I think it is indeed a sweeping generalisation that Italy is best.

@Mollerski, but it is in Italy, my geography isn't that bad rolling eyes Piemonte food is some of the best in Italy, usually.

Without re-reading, I don't think that anyone has made the "sweeping generalisation that Italy is best". I swept through the Dolomites and generalised that IMV, it is the best area in Europe for mountain eating and I stand by that. I won't guarantee that the odd substandard meal can't be bought in the region somewhere.
snow report
Back on-topic, try Sucré-Salé in Val Thorens if you get over there. Not on-piste but close enough, go up the road/path from the bottom end of the kiddy ski school, turn right and it's on the right as you walk up the road. You can see the path on this webcam http://www.valthorens.com/en/live/livecams--webcams/resort-livecam.550.html. A bottle of pop, sandwich, bag of crisps and a cake was around €8, mind you that was a few years ago when I could eat bread... Even gets a mention at http://www.fall-line.co.uk/a-locals-guide-to-val-thorens/ and you often see resort staff eat there, which is usually a reasonable indicator of quality/value.

Enjoy the 3V, we'll be round the corner in La Tania so we may well bump into you.
latest report
Thanks for the all the recommendations, very helpful. As Saturday looks like being the best weather day (and presumably will have fewer queues) I think we will explore further afield - are there any more lunch places people would suggest for VT?
latest report
Between VT and Les Menuires, for total charm..Chez Pepe Nicholas just above Bvd Cumin (a walk up from there). There is a new red run down to it from the Menuires side called Chasse. Perhaps not quite the burger and pizza joint the kids might like, but a real gem...
snow report
truffaut wrote:
Thanks for the all the recommendations, very helpful. As Saturday looks like being the best weather day (and presumably will have fewer queues) I think we will explore further afield - are there any more lunch places people would suggest for VT?

This place does a pretty good pizza at reasonable prices
http://en.altifood.fr/
latest report
Try the L'Ours Blanc Hotel/Restaurant above Les Menuires (it is alongside the Doron Chair). Wonderful food and service, with sensible prices. You sit on a large, sunny terrace overlooking La Masse.
snow conditions
Big Dave wrote:
Try the L'Ours Blanc Hotel/Restaurant above Les Menuires (it is alongside the Doron Chair). Wonderful food and service, with sensible prices. You sit on a large, sunny terrace overlooking La Masse.

Yes highly recommended, but not budget.

La Ferme Reberty, plate of the day is 10-12 Euros.

Restaurant Grand Lac, at the bottom of thE "Teppes?" lift, again 12 Euros or so, with a great sun deck.

Igloo Pizza place next door is reasonable value.

The burger stall in Motterett is cheap, as is the super U for hot sandwiches.

There is also a take away pizza place in the "arcade"

A couple of cafes below the main station in 1850 were not expensive.

That said it is easy to do nearly 50 Euros a head if you have a big lunch and a couple of drinks.
snow conditions
If you're in Courcheval 1650, leave your skis at the edge of the piste where the town meets the nursery runs and walk all of 50 yards down to the lower street. There's a number of places there (2 very close together on the opposite side of the road in particular) that serve much cheaper food than slopeside. Including pizzas, plat du jour, burgers, snails, the usual stuff.

The restaurants at the bottom of st martin de belleville I don't recall being particularly pricey either. I mean, they weren't exactly cheap, but not heart attack inducing. Lovely run (pelozet?) all the way down there too, provided you get some speed up for the schuss at the top.

There's a food arcade at 1850, right at the bottom where the 3 main cable cars / telecabins depart from, just to the left as you look at them. 5 mins walk max.

As others have said, the area around the altiport is bonkers pricey (but the bel air place is nice!) and also the restaurant / bar right at the top of 1850 where the runs separate to take you down to la tania, meribel or 1850. Charming place, but definitely not cheap.
snow report
@Perty, can you keep that quiet please !!
ski holidays
@blahblahblah,
Quote:

Big Dave wrote:

+1 L'Ours Blanc is great but usually not cheap. However I think from 2.15pm, if you can hang on that long, they offer a more limited lower priced menu...still same quality, decent portions and lovely setting on a sunny day on terrace.
Can anyone else confirm the 2.15pm onwards menu offering please? Or should I be keeping quiet about that????

ski holidays
@blahblahblah,
Quote:

Big Dave wrote:

+1 L'Ours Blanc is great but usually not cheap. However I think from 2.15pm, if you can hang on that long, they offer a more limited lower priced menu...still same quality, decent portions and lovely setting on a sunny day on terrace.
Can anyone else confirm the 2.15pm onwards menu offering please? Or should I be keeping quiet about that????
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy