Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel - Best tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

We're off to Courchevel (1650) in a couple of weeks Very Happy and although we went there last year, the little ones are a bit bigger (and the littlest is in longer lessons) this year and so we might get a bit more out and about. We stayed in the apartment most evenings last year, but hoping to venture out a bit more this year. Grandma is coming too as well and its my birthday on the Friday while we're there -

Please, you wonderful experts, would you help me with tips for

- Best slope-side restaurant for a hot chocolate (which doesn't cost a fortune!) which a 6 year old, who could manage gentle blues, could get to
- Best slope-side restaurant that a pieton Grandma could get to from a gondola (and then walk down or back up to the gondola)
- Good bar and restaurant recommendations for Courchevel 1650

Many thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Courchevel 1650 I would recommend Bel Air for points 1 and 2 - it is a little pricey but not outrageous but it can be accessed from the top of the Ariondaz bubble by Grandma. Easy blues down to it (the Ariondaz).

Bar's the Funky Fox is my favourite in Courchevel 1650 - fine to have the kids in there late afternoon/early evening it has a pool table and pinball machine as well. Be aware later in the evening it turns into party central and is open to around 2am.

For restaurants I recommend Le Petit Savoyard - it is an excellent restaurant (marvellous fondue). For something a little cheaper Arc on Ciel and La Table de Marie sell good food. I do not recommend Cucina Angelina in the Portetta - it was very disappointing for somewhere that is supposed to be fine dining. La Boulotte (next to Table de Marie) does excellent lunches. L'Ours Blanc (on snow front of 1650) is also decent for lunch and reasonably priced especially given its location.

Make sure you visit the TeePee's on Indiens with your son - he can have a go at archery there.

I visit 1650 several times a season so any other questions do ask.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Easy to get to slope-side restaurant that is nice for a treat but won't cost a fortune: Courcheneige. It's off the Bellecote piste so you'll probably ski past it if you go from Moriond (1650) to Courchevel (1850). And Grandma could get to it from Jardin Alpin gondola.

For something cheap and cheerful, and very anglo-friendly, Bubble Bar near the tourist office in 1650 is pretty good value.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had a great lunch in the resturaunt at the top of the Verdons (Altitude?) bubble. Would go again. The young un can ski back down easily from there (and cut through the kids' park).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We love the Arc en Ciel which is in the village..it's our go to destination for lunch from our base in St Martin and has been ever since I spent a season in Les menuires 10 years ago (when it was owned and run under a different name). For us skiers from a different valley, it's always worth taking skis off and walking down to the restaurant. Delicious pizzas and salads, as well as other good stuff on the menu with lovely friendly service and a cosy atmosphere in the evening or on a snowy day inside.
The Bel Air is rightly recommended and a good hot choc spot, be sure,make sure to book a table of you want lunch. Easy for Grandma to get to.
Avoid, avoid, avoid the Casserole (bottom of Signal chair) which is overpriced, full of Bogner clad Russians and offers truly dreadful service at hyper inflated prices.

Have you thought about a picnic one sunny lunchtime? I don't know of the Signal chair takes pedestrians (Gondola up, short-ish walk down to chair) but if it does, a fit Grandma could make it to the top and join you. There are picnic benches, a lovely view and in April it will be stunning as well as warm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Would echo the Bel Air but have found it harder to book in recent years.

Whilst I would agree ref. Casserole, did go there on one occasion when we couldn't get into Bel Air and were highly entertained by a fist fight between two tables of Russians whilst Sax Player played on!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"Shortish walk" from top of Ariondaz bubble to foot of Signal chair is probably about 200m of descent, and just over 1km (via the track past the foot of the Combe drag, as the direct route down the Ariondaz piste is probably a bit too steep).

Which on the return journey becomes 1km and 200m of ascent! Unless you walk down either from the top of Signal chair back to the Ariondaz bubble, or from the foot of the Signal chair all the way back to the village, both of which are a further 2-300m of descent and 1-2km.

Only to be recommended for a fairly fit Grandma Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A great picnic spot is the bottom of the Granges drag in the Belvedere area above 1650. You can get there by bus from 1650 village or by skiing down the Granges piste (a lovely, quiet rolling blue - which was green a few years ago - used by instructors for good reason). You can also get to it easily from the top of the Belvedere drag.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A great picnic spot is the bottom of the Granges drag in the Belvedere area above 1650. You can get there by bus from 1650 village or by skiing down the Granges piste (a lovely, quiet rolling blue - which was green a few years ago - used by instructors for good reason). You can also get to it easily from the top of the Belvedere drag.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for La Table de Mairie restaurant, on the side road that runs around the back of the base station gondola in 1650 village. French bistro style, consistently good food at relatively reasonable price.
Hot choc on main street in the village at Rocky's Bar quite good, with a few comfy seats dotted around, as well as bar stools.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Charliegolf,
Quote:

We had a great lunch in the resturaunt at the top of the Verdons (Altitude?) bubble. Would go again. The young un can ski back down easily from there (and cut through the kids' park).

I think I'd send a reasonably competent adult down that route first to judge it, before assuming a 6 year old would be comfortable on it. Better safe than sorry.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@intermediate, Fair point, but I was responding to the OP's remark about the little un being able to do gentle blues. Verdons is an easy green, but of course the bubble remains available if in doubt.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's the track on the right side of the fun park perfect for kids to go up and down the rollers, followed by a go on the air bag at the end.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Charliegolf,
Quote:

@intermediate, Fair point, but I was responding to the OP's remark about the little un being able to do gentle blues. Verdons is an easy green

You're absolutely right...and likelihood is it'd be fine...I just recall Mrs Early Intermediate screaming at me on that run early one morning that 'it's icy...and it's YOUR fault' wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Courchneige great value for money especially the buffet. Love Bel Air. Portetta in 1650 also good value for money and great service. Have watched le casserole change over the years and would never set foot in there again. Shockingly bad service by the most egotistic staff imaginable, only interested in rich Russians who will tip big time. Everyone else is a pleb. Told the manager at le casserole they were shocking and he said he didn't care. rolling eyes
ski holidays
You could have a look at "Petit Savoriard", we liked it a lot.
snow conditions
@intermediate, Which bit of, 'it's always your fault', don't you get? Very Happy
latest report
Hi all

Many thanks for the tips - especially the Courcheneige - I've always fancied stopping there and thought it would be too expensive.

And you were right to remind me to be cautious about the run down from Verdons. The little one did struggle early in the week down it last year. He got a bit bolder as the week went on..

Looking forward to getting there now - just struggling through the packing and trying to manage a husband who is convinced his car is the Tardis....
latest report
@Joyceycat, yes I think the Courcheneige lunchtime special buffet is 32 Euros per person this season. Drink + lighter snack about 10-20 Euros perhaps. Maybe other SnowHeads could confirm?
Have a great week in Courchevel!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy