Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One of those days 4

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so its not Candide...but.....

I was sitting having a cheeky fondu in between one of the nippers 2 race runs at the weekend in Villars. A couple of ski club siblings were rolling around in the snow, as kids do, wrapping themselves up in the safety netting keeping racers safe from unwashed masses when a snowboarder decided it would be a really good idea to jump over the safety netting (roughly 1.20 tall), aprox 1 metre from the kids, from the closed area onto the piste adjacent. The owner of the kids took umbrage at the above and told off said snowboarder for endangering his kids...whereupon a situation started developing, words were exchanged and aspersions were cast. I took offence at one of the freestyle posse giving me/us the finger, he took offence at me calling him a stupid see you next tuesday. Standoff ensued between our mob and their mob (we had the weight advantage by about 30 kgs per man, hefty lads are race dads on account of all the fondu). In hindsight, I regret calling him a bad name, but we were all genuinely agitated. He justified his actions by saying he was shooting a video, that freestyle was his sport, and that he didn't hit anyone. (Hence the candide ref in the title). Got me thinking, either a) I am now just a fussy old fart, not down with the hip kids, or b) lads of a certain age are excessively easily influenced by the amount of "in resort" video shot by actual professionals, in a planned manner, and are trying in a small way to shoot their own versions of same. No matter what we said, he failed to recognise that he'd put anyone in danger, and I'd say he'd do exactly the same jump again tomorrow in the same circs. For reference, he cleared the fence/children by about 2 cms. No actual blows were exchanged but it was the closest i've been to getting into a mill while skiing!! Confused Question for the wise forum - were we over the top or was our reaction justified? He claims he was safe, we didn't think so. Accepting the fella had a good level of skill.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would have biffed him one.

2 cm clearance from kids - he needs a spanking.

Also I would have confiscated the video. Useful if it goes to court but if shown to plod it might not get that far.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fondue panda versus baggy the boarder, would have been one slow fight.

I bet they don't do it again, not near kids anyway.

People don't like having their skillz dissed, hence the reaction.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Justified because he was shooting a video?

WTF?

No. Not justified at all.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. You say he jumped over it a metre away from them, then cleared them by 2cms. Which was it?
2. Was he good? Was he in control? If he made mistake would he have hit the kids or would the trajectory have taken him elsewhere?
3. Did he know the kids were there before jumping? Rolling around in safety netting doesn't seem a safe or sensible place to let kids play.

You mention being influenced by Candide, but as he was a boarder that seems unlikely; people have been jibbing and freestyling in resort, on video and off, for at least the last 20 years. Jumping over fences and netting etc is nothing new.

Not saying he wasn't being a fool or dangerous btw - from your post he could either have been a dangerous lady's front bottom or your mate and idiotic over-protective father, and without seeing the footage no one can really tell you which!

@TQA, yes, hitting someone and stealing their property is a very sensible solution that definitely wouldn't get you in any trouble with the police. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
30kg? My advice would be to cut back on the fondue.

Seriously - could he see where he was going to land or did anyone spot the jump? Was it luck that he didn't hit one of the kids or his skill?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jumping the safety netting is probably slightly more daft than letting your kids wrestle around in it.

Troppo tostesterone?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
🧀🍷🍺🍰🍯
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hang on a minute, people actually still eat fondue? Going green
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Jumping the safety netting is probably slightly more daft than letting your kids wrestle around in it.

Troppo tostesterone?

But calling someone a c**t is slightly more daft than giving someone the finger Twisted Evil I'd say neither party have come out of it well, perhaps lessons learnt should be to not go jumping safety netting (especially near kids), not to let kids play in safety netting (presumably on/next to a piste) and to treat others as you'd have them treat you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So... he cleared the netting by 2 cms. Kids were roughly 1 metre away. So I guess in total he was 1 metre and 2 cms from the kids. Kid messing in safety netting was being told off by his dad for same roughly contiguous with the leap. No one spotted his jump, but the landing was clear. He was lucky the kids didn't do anything random. If he'd made a mistake he'd have hit someone. There was too much testosterone around on both sides I agree. However if you don't challenge poor behaviour then I dont think you can later bitch about it!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One should never perform any stunt involving other people (especially if they haven't given their permission).

Jumping over or near other people by way of demonstrating one's skill (at avoiding them) simply demonstrates one's psychopathic contempt for the lives of others, justifiably earning enmity from them and the conscientious bystanders.

Comparably reckless stunts include high speed braking that, with skill, result in almost, but not quite, colliding with one or more people.

One may gamble one's skill with one's own life, but not with the lives of others. Sometimes the gambler loses - someone else's life.

Trouble is, youngsters can become complacently beguiled into thinking the tricks they recklessly play upon each other (with a degree of implicit consent) can also be played upon anyone.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are you sure this isn't just old man's jealousy? i.e, 30kg of fondue = more than 2 cm height loss. wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nobody in this tale comes out looking very good imo.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That'd be the fondu. Plays havoc with the figure. Oh, you meant behaviour, yes so folks have said. I guess you'd have to have been there, my descriptive skills don't match up with the shock I felt observing, and the consequent reaction the ensued.
snow report
1 m away is a different story he no longer gets biffed.
ski holidays
What was the trick? I'm more willing to forgive a nicely flared Method than a straight air. Added benefit of a well executed trick will shock and awe the wee'uns into the more productive path of freestyle than Racing Ze Gatez. Anyway, shouldn't Jnr have been off visualizing his next run, rather than having fun?
snow report
The trick was a straight forward air with nose grab. The juniors in question were the little ones, not yet required to see zee gates in zer mind, only 5 and 6 I think (not mine, hence uncertainty)....
snow report
Can't tell without the video. But there are too many all action zeros trying to copy the likes of Candide and that other twit whose name I can't remember. Far too many folk jump onto pistes from off piste without looking and its a trend perpetuated by some ski/board schools. Worst I experienced was a boarder got airborne from off piste by jumping the high snow bank to the left of the Millonex Drag in Tignes. The first I knew was when he passed about a metre in front of me at neck height, there was no way he could have seen me.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, ....good note re jumping onto piste....last season I was minding my own business in a straight turny line down the side of a steep piste when matey the freestyler bursts out of the trees and knocks me down. To say I was not happy is an understatement - he says in French '...I was chasing my mates...' I say 'expletive deleted expletive deleted expletive deleted'. He say 'don't get het up'. At that point the top of my head unhinged. Not happy. And nursing a very sore arm and shoulder. His instructor then appears from below whilst I am fulminating and giving him what for. I think 'boll*cks I am going to get it from the instructor for giving this kid what for...' But instead the instructor apologises to me and then REALLY lays into the kid. Sometimes the world IS the right way up....
latest report
The missus reminds me of the beginners area at Val Thorens where "freeraiders" amuse themselves speeding through. I think they've changed the layout to stop this sort of thing.
snow conditions
Playing with safety netting is a silly thing to do.
The parents should be ashamed of their inability to deal with life without resorting to threats of violence, which are a terrible example to their children and not something to boast about on the web.

In BC the patrol would pull your pass for an inverted air on piste, but not a straight air. For threats of violence the parents would be arrested which would be complicated and something of a pain for all concerned.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/Pages/controlling-anger.aspx
latest report
davidof wrote:
The missus reminds me of the beginners area at Val Thorens where "freeraiders" amuse themselves speeding through. I think they've changed the layout to stop this sort of thing.

It's not the beginner's area it's the main thoroughfare through the resort (an appalling idea by some genius planner). People speed through to limit time exposed to all the other numpties.
ski holidays
@coddlesangers, it's fine to remonstrate with people who do stupid things and endanger you or your kids. It sets the boundaries and he will think twice next time.
snow conditions
He said he was shooting a video?

So is everyone over 9 years old these days.

Ask for a copy and show it to the police.
ski holidays
@coddlesangers, I think blahblahblah pinned it. No one likes being told off. Especially when they've done something stupid. So they tend to react badly. But saying some thing is better than saying nothing. My trouble is that I'm not great with confrontation so I tend to avoid it until I can't and then swear and shout a lot.

However, we were all young once and did stupid things (I went and worked for a bank). And you know what - if I thought I could jump some netting I'd be sorely tempted.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
davidof wrote:

It's not the beginner's area it's the main thoroughfare through the resort (an appalling idea by some genius planner). People speed through to limit time exposed to all the other numpties.

I'm talking about the fenced off section with a magic carpet lift for kids. More or less this area

the netting had a gap at the top which snowboarders (it was largely snowboarders for some reason) though was good for them to come hooning through.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy