Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis - a complicated business!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I’ve recently started looking for a new pair of planks, and so many Google searches brought me to these forums that I thought I’d better join!

I’ve been skiing for about 8 years, 7 – 14 days a year. First couple of years I rented and “got what I was given” as a beginner. I then bought a gear package from Snow & Rock which included some entry level Salomon boots (now replaced) and some Fischer Viron 2.2 2012 skis with RS10 bindings. I’ve skied these since and just come back from Austria after a week on them.

I’m confident and comfortable on any piste colour & condition and for the last few years have been venturing off piste (when possible!), as well as spending some time on the smaller jumps and boxes in the park. I’m happy and capable in both situations, but my current skis feel less than ideal, and I’d like something that will help take me up to the next level, so to speak.

Unfortunately due to finances I’m really going to need a one-ski-quiver solution, so have been looking at all mountain / all terrain freestyle categories mostly. I won’t be off piste enough to warrant full-on reverse-camber powder skis, but would love something that I can take into powder and it not sink so much, but that will still be comfortable on the groomed runs, where I’d still be looking at the majority of my time (at a guess maybe 70/30 on/off depending on conditions?). Many of my fellow holiday-goers are snowboarders, and I quite enjoy messing around in the park as well as finding lumps and bumps to hop off on the runs, so something playful would be nice, potentially twin-tipped.

Has anyone got a “go-to” ski recommendation for this sort of thing? I’ve seen recommendations for the WhiteDot One and the Salomon Rocker2 100, as examples, but as it’s my first time looking for my own skis I’m just hoping to start in the right area!

Cheers all!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied a lot of all mountain skis this season - they're incredibly versatile. Once you go more than about 90mm waist the on-piste performance begins to drop. Look for something with rocker at the tips and tails but camber underfoot for grip on hard pistes.

We're all different, so make sure you get a demo.

Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321897789247&globalID=EBAY-GB

This is what you need
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here are some possible All Mountain Skis that you might consider (and were the top three in the SCGB test).

Scott "The Ski" - It's gaining quite a reputation as an easy to use, do anything ski. It is slightly wider than some all mountain skis, with 92mm under foot.

Blizzard "Brahma" - another formidable ski, that's grippy and reactive. Slightly more piste biased with an 88mm waste.

Salomon "X-Drive 8.8 FS" - Light, smooth and grippy and better for longer turns. Also has an 88mm waist.

As has been said, you should try some out for yourself...and the above suggestions are just to help make a shortlist, which will hopefully include other suggestions that you get on here.

BTW. Welcome to the forum....from One Newbie to another. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would recommend the scotts.. Superb and nit heavey to carry either 😜
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would suggest you consider attending a ski test and demoing some, the next one snowHeads have organised happens to be in Val Thorens in April.

Otherwise I can recommend the salomon x drive or the dynastar powertrack 84
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't recommend anything personally, but I know of some people who have enjoyed the Nordica NRGY90 skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have a look at the faction line up of skis , the soma could be just the ticket or the progidy if ur after something a bit bigger , both have rocker tip and tail with a good camber underfoot ,
I have a Good pair of blizzard brahmas for sale if your interested
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124902&highlight=
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not complicated - more or less anything modern 85mm -95mm in the waist will work for you. Get at least a tail kick if you want to do some park. Might as well work out the length you want - bear in mid twin rockers ski short & hit ebay.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In your position I'd look at whitedot zero ones. I had a pair for half a day and it was a real wrench to give them back. No compromise on piste at all vs even narrow piste designed skis, and will do some off piste and park easy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Take a look at Volkl skis too. I found them quite "playful". You might like that feel when you do your occasional "pop" off lumps and bumps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitedot Ones tick the box. Great on piste and off the sides. Ive never been in a park but have seen a few people ski them in the park.

I have a pair that, to be honest, I'm not using to their potential as I mainly ski on piste now, so I may part with them. PM me if of interest
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was in the same boat a few years ago and went for Blizzard Bonifides. Unfortunately, they ran out of stock when I needed them and bought the next best thing, a pair of Rossignol Experience 98s. I think they've stopped making the 98s, but you can still get them in 88mm waists. Front rocker and good camber - my 98s struggle a little on the hard packed snow as I can't quite get the edges in, but on absolutely everything else they are just superb. The 88mm would address the hard packed issue quite a lot.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me, the rockr2 is the best ski Ive ever tried. Picked up a pair for powder skiing in December at 122mm underfoot, and it's been so awesome for everything I'm looking for a pair of 100 or 108mm to replace my park/piste skis and my all mountain skis (97mm) and go from 3 ski quiver to 2 pairs. Only reason I don't ski the 122's everyday is due to my dodgy knees, and certainly if you're going to be mostly on piste you'll want a smaller waist.

The rocker is being discontinued so you should be able to get some good deals! Got mine for £220!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Welcome to Snowheads Smile
I've recently got some Salomon Q98's, they are 98mm underfoot, but still ride great on piste and of course off piste. I recently had three days in Austria and didn't bother taking my skis, hired a pair of all mountain 80mm under foot Rossignol and they weren't a patch on the Q98's.

Best get yourself to a fridge and test a few!
latest report
@gazzaredcruiser, love my 98's, great for everything except ice!
But I do just prefer something with twin tips!

Don't get how people enjoy skiing powder on sub 90mm skis...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy