Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon launches new QST line

Poster: A snowHead
Salomon has just announced the 3rd generation of QST skis - looks like there is now a 112mm model joining the family

We tasked our athletes with designing the most progressive and playful freeride powder ski on the mountain: meet the QST Blank. Pillow-popping and powder-loving, the Blank’s 112 mm waist width and progressive shape enhance the flotation and playfulness of your turns, while its combination of Double Sidewall Technology, Cork Damplifier and C/FX provides the stability you can rely on whether you’re rallying inbounds laps or touring for first tracks. Perfect binding pairings include the STH2 MNC 16 for resort ripping, S/LAB Shift MNC 13 for ultimate freeride versatility and the MTN Pure for long, powder filled days in the skin track.

Features:
• Double Sidewall Construction
• Cork Damplifier
• C/FX
• Poplar Woodcore

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/blog/freeride/discover-the-3rd-generation-of-qst

http://youtube.com/v/rPyzU5bMCDM
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting name - some meta comment on how the ski industry has truly run out of marketing ideas?

Colour scheme good for losing jetisoned skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It just looks ugly (IMO)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The radii look very short, ie hooky.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like they have refreshed the whole line - the QST118 is missing - I wonder if they have development delays or they are dropping it?

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Interesting name - some meta comment on how the ski industry has truly run out of marketing ideas?

Colour scheme good for losing jetisoned skis.

I feel a strong attraction to owning something with a "Cork Damplifier" though, think I'd enjoy that Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup, all 4 look like the ski equivalent of a 90's Volvo (IMO). The CGI makes them look even more unpalatable. Ferda boys? Anyone have any idea?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
extremerob wrote:
Looks like they have refreshed the whole line - the QST118 is missing - I wonder if they have development delays or they are dropping it?

The 118's gone. The new QST Blank at 112mm underfoot is Salomons widest ski for 21/22.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:
extremerob wrote:

The 118's gone. The new QST Blank at 112mm underfoot is Salomons widest ski for 21/22.

Losers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Qst106 (mine are from 17/18 season) is a nice ski - worked well in JPN and on harder pistes in IT/FR
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
extremerob wrote:

Losers

Yep. Strange decision.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2021-2022-salomon-qst-blank
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
extremerob wrote:

Losers

Yep. Strange decision.

I can only speculate here but I’m sure the decision must be based on market data, I cannot imagine they are shifting loads of 118s. I also wonder if Amer look at Salomon and Atomic cannibalising sales from each other especially with the bents being such a popular fat (120mm ski)

what will be interesting to see is if their athletes like Cody Townsend, Stan Ray, Alexi Godbout are happy to go exclusively 112 or are being forced to by marketing.

Or maybe Salomon are predicting the future in the world of climate change and less pow and decided no need for fat skis Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
17m turn radius makes no sense. Rossignol Soul 7 in disguise. Seems Salomon have made a marketing decision to sell skis to mediocre skiers, rather than tried to actually make a good ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Salomoney talks
latest report
JackSkier wrote:
17m turn radius makes no sense. Rossignol Soul 7 in disguise. Seems Salomon have made a marketing decision to sell skis to mediocre skiers, rather than tried to actually make a good ski.

Heard a comment on a podcast recently from "someone involved" in salomon who stated that during a testing session on skis from another manufacturer, he hated the skis, and listed what he considered major flaws. Then watched two amateur skiers ski down the same slope in joyous fashion and noted that they were both on the same skis that he hated. Not all skis should be made or designed for excellent skiers, or built around their specifications.
latest report
Roguevfr wrote:
JackSkier wrote:

Heard a comment on a podcast recently from "someone involved" in salomon who stated that during a testing session on skis from another manufacturer, he hated the skis, and listed what he considered major flaws. Then watched two amateur skiers ski down the same slope in joyous fashion and noted that they were both on the same skis that he hated. Not all skis should be made or designed for excellent skiers, or built around their specifications.

I agree with you absolutely. Most brands have something for weaker and stronger skiers in their freeride lines. But marketing a ski as a big mountain charger when it has a 17m turn radius is disingenuous.
ski holidays
17m radius isn't totally insane - it can make for a fun ski - that's what the Icelantic Shaman was and I suspect the Whitedot Preacher wasn't far off. But it's a somewhat specific application like Big Mountain Slalom rather than the lines the Salomon team guys really ski.
ski holidays
How far have things gone when we are (in essence) wondering if top skiers could get by on a ski that's "only" 112mm wide.... Puzzled Shocked
ski holidays
Fine to make an accessible all mountain ski - but how can this be their “biggest” ski? Considering the innovation their binding crew delivered with the Shift you’d hope their ski guys could do better than combining the Q106 and Q118 together?
ski holidays
Marketwise it probably makes sense. There are diminishing demands for skis from major brands above 112mm when there are clearly some dominant brands and indies filling the above 100mm space. And though we might love a big ski on big days or even big corn days because of how it lets us ski, there are actually very few circumstances where you can't get by on around 110mm. And let's face it a very wide ski can sometimes be a PITA from skin tracks to narrow traverses/exit ruts to gondola racks.
snow report
Heresy!
snow report
Last two years don't think I skied my K2 Coombacks 115 at all preferring my Atris 108 and Superguide 105's, I can never sell them as I just love the graphics.

ISPO kicks off tomorrow so will be interesting to see what the overall fashion is for skis.
ski holidays
JackSkier wrote:

They're in business to sell skis, and Rossi stopping Soul 7's may have left a big gap in the market.

Maybe they're trying to make good skis for mediocre skiers?
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
How far have things gone when we are (in essence) wondering if top skiers could get by on a ski that's "only" 112mm wide.... Puzzled Shocked

The 'top' skiers should be able to get by on a 85.
snow report
Plus 112mm? Do people still do that? How very 2013.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Glen Plake could get by on 65mm (× 2.20 m) Very Happy
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
......ISPO kicks off tomorrow so will be interesting to see what the overall fashion is for skis.......

Found one for @BobinCH, Laughing

The OWASHI 136 is made for nothing else but deep powder days. With its radical full rocker, full reverse side cut shape and powder swallow tail, it is the weapon of choice after a big dump.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After a big dump, the size of my skis is the last thing on my mind.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
Last two years don't think I skied my K2 Coombacks 115 at all preferring my Atris 108 and Superguide 105's, I can never sell them as I just love the graphics.

ISPO kicks off tomorrow so will be interesting to see what the overall fashion is for skis.

Agreed! I have some excellent Volkl Shiros (118mm), and I rarely use them....I actually prefer to use my Head Flight Decks at 95cms..
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:

Haha you need to tell Jeremie Heitz and Leo Slemett wink
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
......ISPO kicks off tomorrow so will be interesting to see what the overall fashion is for skis.......

Found one for @BobinCH, Laughing

The OWASHI 136 is made for nothing else but deep powder days. With its radical full rocker, full reverse side cut shape and powder swallow tail, it is the weapon of choice after a big dump.

If you can fit a ski like this into your quiver and can access some good lines you will not regret it wink
latest report
... so long as you don't have to traverse anywhere Laughing
latest report
Arno wrote:
... so long as you don't have to traverse anywhere Laughing

I got into this couloir on the Spoons a couple of weeks back. Not sure I’d recommend it but was certainly a good work out for the ankles Very Happy

latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Yeah he did, but that was the best available ski at that time.
Now, he uses skis that are of modern design , since he has a hand in designing them.
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Yeah he did, but that was the best available ski at that time.
Now, he uses skis that are of modern design , since he has a hand in designing them.

Believe he rides the Elan Ripstick 106’s as his everyday ski but they also do a 116.

There’s this guy called Candide Thovex who’s not too shabby on the mountain who rides the Faction CT 5.0 with a 122 waist.
https://ch.factionskis.com/products/candide-thovex-ct-5-0-ski-2021?variant=33248618381400

Only for Alaska? Yeah right...

http://youtube.com/v/75uL12ZJTxc
ski holidays
@BobinCH, spoons have a bit of conventional sidecut don't they?
These seem to be claiming full reverse which I don't think has happened since the Spatula
snow report
Arno wrote:
@BobinCH, spoons have a bit of conventional sidecut don't they?
These seem to be claiming full reverse which I don't think has happened since the Spatula

Nope Spoon is full reverse, basically same shape as a water ski. It has edges but you really have to ramp up the angulation to engage them.

I love the fact that they set the ski on fire trying to drill the spatula Very Happy
ski holidays
Plenty of DPS, Dynastar, Elan and other skis available on Private sports Shop....https://www.privatesportshop.co.uk/1165445-ski-snowboard-special

Also, ABS airbags...

..Nick
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
CH2O wrote:

Haha you need to tell Jeremie Heitz and Leo Slemett wink

I see the marketing wheels keep on turning! Same goes for CT. Top shets are easily popped into any mould to sell the eager what they wanna buy. None of the forementioned ski anything stock destined at the GP, although they maybe painted whatever you like. Few skiers these days ski anything above the external axis of the rivets of their boots. And guess what the average is..................113mm! Think Salomon have nailed it at 1mm under, save those knees, stop ripping out those bindings, and a couple less turns and you'll float just fine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy