Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prettiest route from Innsbruck to Langenfeld

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Was wondering about the route from Innsbruck Airport to Langenfeld driving by hire car. Never done this journey before. It seems we should be taking the A12 then the 186 to Langenfeld. This journey, I am told, has tolls and is the quickest route. Does anyone have any idea the cost of the tolls please?

Someone mentioned that there is a more picturesque drive. So, I have looked at the map and see that there are a couple of possible routes.

There is a road numbered 171 that follows the A12 all the way to the 186. It runs north of the A12 going through the towns of Zirl, Eigenhofen, Leiblfing, platten until Telfs where you then go south crossing the A12 continuing along to the 186.

Then there is another road that runs south of the A12. Seems the best place to get onto this road from the A12 is at Schiebstand (south west of Zirl).... it then goes through Inzing, Hatting, Flauling and then south of Telfs where the road seems to become the 171. You continue along the 171 and eventually reach the 186.

Has anyone used either of these routes? What are they like? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to the prettiest (though not too difficult) route to take to get to Langelfeld.

We arrive around mid-day, mid-week, so could go via one of the slower routes to get to Langenfeld rather than just jooming through on the A12.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@monnydite, you can only drive at 100km/h along most sections of the A12 now, so it is slow enough to enjoy the views. The B171 is frustratingly slow as you have multiple changes to the speed limits as you pass through the towns and villages. As it runs parallel to the autobahn, the wider views are more or less the same and you get a better view from the motorway. In the villages, you will be tackling all the obstacles like crossroads, pedestrian lights, roundabouts, etc and of course local farm traffic, all of which will combine to spoil the ride along with the endless tractors you will get stuck behind because overtaking opportunities are few and far between.

The B186 gives you some fantastic vistas as you head up into the mountains, Langenfeld itself is very picturesque once you move away from the main road (like many of the villages strung out along the valley.

A lot of tight wads drive along the B171 to avoid paying for the vignette (only the price of 2 beers for 10 days rolling eyes ), these drivers, mainly German and Dutch feel they have divine right of free passage so tail-gate you until you pull over and let them through. It is not a comfortable drive by any means.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@monnydite, There's not really all that much choice. The route along the 171 is a lot slower than the Autobahn, and tbh is not a lot more scenic. Only alternative I could suggest would be to get into Oetztal via Kühtai and Ochsengarten. This, again, will be a lot slower and you will have to have winter equipment with you, i.e chains. I have not driven that route myself though, so can't really tell you much about it. I just know that my chums who live in Axams alway ski in Kühtai and recommend it highly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you very much for your replies which have been very helpful in helping us decide that the A12 to the 186 will be the best route for us.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above...

The most sensible way is to go along the Inn valley, so the views to either side are the same whereto your on the motorway or slower parallel roads. There's only a short section of motorway before you turn off to Kuhtai if you went that way, and the views are definitely good, but its a long slow road. The road from where you turn off the motorway at Ötz and go up Ötztal to Langenfeld has nice views anyway.

I suppose you could turn off the motorway at Silz and continue on country roads to Ötz, where you drive through some fairly scenic fields by the Inn... Not many villages on that route so wouldn't cost you much time, but tbh I can't really see how it would be worth it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy