Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Super Besse/Mont-Dore

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all,

Totally new to this site, I was wondering if someone could help me, we decided to leave it to the last min to see where the snow would be any good over Easter weekend, (didn't want to book in case it had made a disappearing act) Were looking at Super Besse/Mont-Dore 1. we thought we would drive out, 2. this is close and 3. a friend that lives in France told me about these resorts, he's currently busy in Doha so I can't ask him the questions. Is there decent enough snow there? We just want an easy trip, nothing serious, both haven't skied/boarded for ages so just something up to Medium level really. Also if anyone can recommend an easy hotel for getting to the slopes?

Looked at Andorra, but it was a little further away, much pricer and very little accommodation available.

Really appreciate it guys Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@STACEYJO46, Hard to say what the snow will be like over Easter as the forecast is varying so much but it looks great there at the mo! Just about all runs and lifts open. http://www.sancy.com/pratique/webcams

More of the Super Besse accommodation is at the foot of the slopes and there is more variety of runs than Mont Dore if the link between the two is closed but I have only stayed in an S/C apartment there. It's a slightly longer drive from Calais too.

Mont Dore town is beautiful as it is a traditional art deco spa town rather than a purpose built concrete ski resort. Loads of hotels to choose from that are a very short drive/navette from the slopes. I stayed in Le Grand Hotel last Easter and really enjoyed it; lovely place that was great value.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has anyone skied here recently? We are within striking distance of this area on our motorhome and wondered what the conditions were like and what is open ? Having trouble finding that info on the link and other google links.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@poppyb, Not been recently but went with the school in 1974. The website shows Mont Dore is closed for the season but Super Besse is open tilll the 17/4 and most of the runs are open if that helps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's great thanks! Great help
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@poppyb, if you go, be sure to write a trip report and maybe post some pictures. It's always good to hear about less frequented resorts. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks pam Smile
Yes we are definitely going so I will do a review if I can figure out where on the forum.
Husband is watching how to fit snow chains on YouTube as I write!
Will we need to fit them if we drive on snow or is the main thing to carry them to be legal? I notice snowfall is forecast there Thursday and Friday - 9cms! I wouldn't have thought it would settle as low as resort level of 1050 metres though- would you?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've no idea about likely weather there but if you have summer tyres an inch or two of slushy snow, on a hill, is enough to make you lose traction.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This thread would be fine for your trip report.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No we have all weather new tyres. We will buy chains and fit them if we are concerned.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is some nice skiing at Mont Dore, for example this is reachable from the lifts

it was skied on the 2nd April but the warm temperature and rain has done some damage in the area.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks
I understood the area was closed now? I will see when I arrive.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MOnt Dore is closed for the season now but Super Besse is open.

Looking good from Thursday if you like fresh snow, should be enough base left on the pistes for the fresh to sit on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a nice ski this morning. Only 5 main lifts open as far as I could tell but there were good runs right from the top. The gondola goes to the summit and has a red and blue going off each side. The blue 'capuchin' is popular and is a lovely run. It wasn't busy at all. There is even quite a long green which was pleasant. There are a couple of reds off a chair lift over on the right as you face it ('Falaise' I think) that looked steeper and had a lot of brown patches. In better snow they would probably be very nice.
It was pretty slushy over all by lunch. I may try tomorrow if there's a bit of fresh snow fall (as forecast) and will try and get out early to get the harder snow. I spent a bit of time this morning buying some second hand skis. Found some Rossignols for 100e that I'm happy with. Nice that they let you try before buying.
Prices were good too.
Over 60s cost 25e a day and adults 31e
We meant to park up for the night in an aire in Besse but it seemed the huge area in Super Besse is the main one so we came up here. Beautiful views driving up the steep mountain roads.
Very lovely lake and open aspect. A grocery shop and pizzeria and couple of bars. I see what people mean about the high rise places, typical resort really. Just surprised us that it was totally dead at 7.30pm.
Depending what you want I think it's definitely worth a trip here I would say. Experts might find it limiting but intermediates will find a lot to entertain them. I enjoy skiing in trees. The views over the valley and lake are stunning on the way down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a couple of pics
Can someone remind me how to post them on here? It's not obvious or I am being thick xx
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
There is some nice skiing at Mont Dore, for example this is reachable from the lifts

it was skied on the 2nd April but the warm temperature and rain has done some damage in the area.

HAHAHA, I dont know about Poppy, but that is a bit beyond me.
ski holidays
You need to upload them to one of the Internet photo sharing sites like photo bucket, then put this in your post:

Code:

[img]your_image_location.jpg[/img]
latest report
@poppyb, it's quiet because its very much low season for French skiers. Glad you found some nice runs.

I've just been shopping in Decathlon in Albertville which is full of tents and bikes and not a ski to be seen!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy