Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why does it always finally click on the Last Day?

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, it happened again. I recently returned from my last ski trip of this season, and on the Last Day I bent my ankles.

For years instructors have been saying to me: "It's not bend-ze-knees but bend-ze-ankles!". If you just bend the knees you sit: for a forward stance you need to bend the ankles (then bend-ze-knees). Having said their bit, instructors would vigorously demonstrate ankle flexion with their knees nearly touching the snow. I would try and ...... nothing! Knees bend easy; ankles bend zilch.

Then last Friday, suddenly, I was doing it! Ankles bending with ease, I was powering down the slope like a professional. I was Herman Maier!
And then, before I could really consolidate this new skill, it was time to pack. Rats! Will I retain this new ability next season? No, it will fade and I will have to find it all again.

And it's always been like this. One year I discovered short swing turns On The Last Day. Another year I found myself doing short swings down a mogul field On The Last Day. On each occasion I had barely enough time to enjoy my newfound skill before it was time to go home and a 9 month lay-off. Next season there would be days before I rediscovered that Last Day skill.

Why can't it click on the day before the last day!? Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a 2 week holiday?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sods Law Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alternatively take a long weekend and it never clicks Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By the time I reach the last day I click and ache...

If I'd stayed any longer in VT I'd have tried the Black run down from Cascades, and that would have been very messy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Take 2 week hols definitely. First time at 2 weeks this year and I couldn't believe the improvement in my skiing the second week snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never mind "Why does it always click on the last day" what I want to know is "Why does it always SNOW on the last day?" snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not quite correct Wear The Fox Hat: it always snows on the day you are leaving. (I'm assuming Last Day is actually Last Skiing Day.) This is worse as I often drive: I have to brush off 10cm snow from the car (as happened last Saturday in Val T), put chains on, and then drive gingerly down the hill thinking of all the lovely new snow I am missing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On my last holiday it snowed the day we arrived, the day we left and pretty much everyday in between too. The snow on leaving day was particularly heavy but that was okay because I skied in it. Long live the snow train...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with the above, once you get to a certain level, one week a year is just not enough to improve. Two week holidays are good, although they can be very tiring. It is a slippery slope though, once you start taking more than one week a year, you can find yourself using up all your spare time on skiing holidays.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
you can find yourself using up all your spare time on skiing holidays

Your point? Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's no way I could do a 2 week holiday. I'm reasonably fit, but the last run I took on the last day of my last holiday was definitley the straw that broke the camels back. I was almost glad to be going home. That was an eight day break.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski a week, work a week, ski a week......and so on snowHead

(at least that's what I'd do if I got paid more!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like your style, that could work! snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys, guys: You don’t seem to understand some basic laws of Skiing.
I thought everyone had a copy of Steven Hawking’s “A Brief history of Skiing”. In it he refers to Einstein’s Special Theory of Carving , which clearly states that however long you go skiing you will always Phienly Getzehangovit (sorry to use these technical terms) 3 hours before you have to stop.
Taking a longer holiday therefore has no effect.
snow report
You're probably not aware of the special case there, basically if you ski all season they'll have been a single day at some point, usually in Jan', where you were skiing perfectly but subsequently the conditions have never been repeated and you've not skied as well since.
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
I thought everyone had a copy of Steven Hawking’s “A Brief history of Skiing”. In it he refers to Einstein’s Special Theory of Carving , which clearly states that ......

Nope, couldn't find it!
snow report
ise, skiing all season, and you expect sympathy?! On your bike! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Tony Ellwood, sorry, forgot: to get the article you have to be a Ski Club member, Pisces, and believe in The Tooth Fairy.
snow report
Why do no tour companies do 10 day hols any more ? With one transfer mid-week and thus relatively traffic free it was a more pleasant way to travel. And 10 days is about right for most of us (budget comes into it as well as tiredness).
On a 10 day trip if you have a really bad day weatherwise or healthwise you can drop it without feeling too guilty.
If you are free-lancing, give it some thought. Avoiding weekend travel can be a big bonus. Accommodation might be harder to find because they've become wedded to weekend changeovers. But some operators already do Sunday transfers and if there is enough demand for mid-week someone will satisfy it.
snow report
SkiWorld do 10 day trips to North America, but its my understanding that Europe just isn't set up for anything other than Sunday to Sunday or Saturday to Saturday.
latest report
Also, by skiing more than one week you have the benefit of empty(ish) slopes on a Saturday...
latest report
Ian, that black run down from Cascades may look steep from the lift but I promise you it's a doddle. I managed to take Sam (7), Maxine (5), Carl ( he's 8 go away smiley) and Adam (9) down it with no problems at all on Christmas Day. It was unintentional, I offered the kids a choice of colour, meaning the blue or the red, they all chose black. However, there's a really horrible one if you come back from the 4th valley and opt not to walk but go straight down, that can leave a horrible mess.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 22-04-04 12:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It's not the steep I'm worried about, but the bumps!
snow conditions
The bumps weren't big I admit, no higher than the 5 year old's legs.
ski holidays
Jane L, interesting how conditions can change: the Chamois black down from Cime de Caron coming back from Orelle was a doddle last week. NickB's Sam (9 yrs) belted down it. Even Ian H would have had no trouble as the Mogul Monster had not been out for days and piste was quite smooth.
snow report
The ones on the slopes, or on the heads? Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy