Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Zealand Dilema

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, I'm in a dilemma on whereabouts to go when I arrive in New Zealand from the UK in May for the winter season. I wanted to originally go to Queenstown, however I've ruled this out as I've heard from friends and online it's a nightmare for accommodation and jobs etc. So I've done a bit of research and can't decide between Ohakune, Mt Ruapehu, a quieter place where getting a job before i go is probably going to be easier, however I think this town and area may be TOO quiet for two 22 year olds.

The second option is Wanaka, something I've not done as much research into, admittedly. This seems to have good job and living prospects with a better nightlife than Ohakune.

I was wondering if anyone basically had any opinions or views on where for two 22 year olds should go to get work and enjoy themselves over the winter.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My stepson (21) is about to spent his third season based in Wanaka (his second as an instructor at Treble Cone). He was only telling us yesterday that jobs and especially accommodation are very thin in the ground for the number of people chasing them. He is renting a place with friends and they have already signed the lease. The agent they used last year has fewer properties on its books this year. He said that people end up paying top dollar for very basic shared hostel accommodation for the season (more than he pays renting a nice shared house).
He loves it there..but don't bank on it being easy to find work..A lot of people are doing the same thing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try looking at mt hutt and methven
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Perty, I'll get a move on then. Did your son agree a place online then in the UK?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Okay hang11, I'll take a look thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hang11 wrote:
Try looking at mt hutt and methven

Methven (the town for Mt Hutt) is even smaller and quieter than Ohakune, so maybe not an alternative.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
but not too far from Christchurch or a few other good hills.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A good hour and a half to Christchurch, not sure how buzzing it is there though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Harden up! Go to Queenstown, hit the ground with a positive attitude and a job and accommodation will work itself out, everywhere else is a poor second place when it comes to having a winter in NZ. Join up to Queenstown Trading facebook page to get in the loop for work and housing. Don't worry about trying to sort it from abroad, you need to show up and apply face to face. There is zero unemployment in Queenstown, as long as you have a work visa things will be sweet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@integral,
+1
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tome9, he has friends who have found a place, and this will be his third season there, so he knows the setup quite well. Last year they found a place before they got there too. The problem is that you are then committed to the rent irrespective of getting employment. In his case last year he had to go through the instructor "hiring clinic" to see if he would get a job. He did, and this year he has a job offer up front. Last year things would have been pretty dire without getting the instructor job.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tend to agree with Integral. I'm from NZ and although not having done a working season in NZ I have done several in Canada. Based on my resort experiences and knowledge of NZ I reckon Queenstown would be the way to go. Ohakune would "ok" if you had a good bunch of friends but its not much of a town. Queenstown would be so much better, more fun and more of an overall experience. If I was 22 again and had the option I would do Queenstown over Ohakune for sure. Yeah, I might be harder to get work - but there is more work in QT and it might be more expensive - but its more expensive for a reason....because its good. On top of that there are a lot more skiing options in QT compared to Ruapheu. If you only get one shot at it, go for gold and go to the best resort town. You wont regret it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tome9,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy