Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baqueira - resort tips and advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so following some excellent advice on here a few months ago, we've booked our family ski holiday to Baqueira at the beginning of Easter.
Haven't been skiing for 15 years, so rather out of touch with it all to be honest.

We're not too worried about nightlife as we have an apartment in Ruda and plan to self-cater most of the time.
Ski lessons we're trying to sort out with the Baqueira British ski school, but still haven't booked yet.

So does anyone have any practical tips in terms of where to get groceries from, which ski hire shop to use, where to eat at lunchtime etc etc
Kids are all beginners so we'll be very much centered around there nursery slopes of Baqueira... and skiing elsewhere to mountain restaurants will be out of the question.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a small supermarket at 1500 which should be walking distance for you. Tim at the Baqueira British ski school will good for the lessons.

There are a few hire shops. Moga by the supermarket is my usual bet but don't often hire. There are plenty of options in the area.

From Ruda the gondala will drop you off at the 1800 plateau, and that gives you a couple of choices for eating. Either at the Boscque down the travelator which is cafeteria style and where the lessons start \ finish. Otherwise a walk over to the 1800 where there is a restaurant. The Instructors will point you in the right direction.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks AndAnotherThing.. hoped you'd be along as you seem to know a lot about the place.
We're arriving Saturday evening about 8pm, but I'm told the grocery stores will close about 7:30pm and then all day Sunday, so thinking about asking the taxi driver to stop at a supermarket enroute.

From what little I can find out about hire shops, they're all similar prices. Not sure who offers the newest and best quality hire kit.
If they're all much the same, which would be most convenient if we have to go back and forth a couple of times changing kids boots etc...?

What are the prices like for a basic lunch on the mountain at the places you mention? Also, are there times to avoid, due to crowds etc?
Thank you Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BigAde9, I think most of the hire shops are owned by the same people, with perhaps 3 or 4 different groups.

Stopping in Vehilla sounds a plan. There is a super market on the right as you drive in.

Probably less than 10 euro for a coffee and sandwich which is as much as I'd have. The chocolate doughnuts are good Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great, €10 sounds affordable. Thanks again Very Happy

Apparently with our apartment we get a 20% hire discount with Procenter hire shop, but the website is a bit rubbish so it's difficult to see what things would cost.
http://www.procenterbaqueira.com/home.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.procenterbaqueira.com/equipment-hire-in-baqueira.html

Presumably cheaper for the week ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd hope so, that site doesn't make it clear. I would prefer clear and transparent pricing up front rather than try to work out what the rate is and whether that's with or without discount.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the beginner runs off the Cabana lift are really nice. To change things up a bit I'd also recommend asking the ski school if there's a way of getting to Beret without needing to ski there from the top of Baquira (i.e. by road transport).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pyremaniac. Ok, thanks. I read somewhere that there's no public transport to Beret, which is a pity given the number of beginner runs there and also the discounted beginner lift pass they have. We won't have access to a car while we're there (flying/taxi)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, that's what I feared Sad. Maybe the Ski school can get you up there? Getting back down again is skiable after the first couple of days (unlike the Cara Nord blue which is the only way to get up there in the first place).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pyremaniac, @BigAde9, the usual ski school progresion tends not to off the back of the cabana, rather heading up then an easy run down the skiers left of the main hill, sometimes taking in argulls. Depends on how the group is and conditions under foot, but it works well (I've instructed there).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Pyremaniac, Hi, can you recommend me a place to rent apartments in Baquira beret? Plan is to go for a long weekend with 5 but we are stuggling to find something at a sensible price. Thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did a long weekend in March 15. From memory I found apartments relatively expensive, and hard to find.
So we stayed in the Tuc Blanc hotel, who have a limited number of rooms they will sell for sole use without under occupancy charges, which is fantastic. We each got our own room for around 50 quid pp a night, B&B. If they still do that, it's well worth considering.
The hotel is 3* and not the most attractive building to be fair, and a bit retro decoration inside, but our stay was fantastic, I really couldn't fault it. Across the road from the main gondola, big ski locker room, breakfast was fantastic. There was a pool that we didn't use. Bar reasonably priced. No problem with a gone midnight check in. They looked after our luggage so we could ski last day before showering and changing in the pool changing room before the drive back to TLS for late night flight home. Brilliant.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Downhill Sailor, sorry, no idea! I always use booking.com. There's no doubt that the Vall d'Aran isn't cheap for nice accommodation. (And most accommodation is nice.) I confess that I usually end up in some cheapy hotel in Vielha wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy