Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel Centre Vs. Meribel Village

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following on from my previous thread, I am currently staying in Meribel Mottaret. I have had a taste of what the valley has to offer and have viewed some property in Meribel Centre, Meribel Village, Les Allues and La Tania. I am here until Saturday morning.

I have decided that I want to be either in Meribel Centre or within a short bus or taxi ride from it. I have ruled out Les Allues as it just feels too far away from the action and La Tania doesn't have a bus to Meribel Centre (although I had no trouble thumbing a lift). Mottaret is a great location for access to the slopes but it feels a bit like a Butlins ski resort; I can’t imagine it is much fun off-season. So this narrows my search to Meribel Centre and Meribel Village.

I think I may need to up my 400,000 EUR budget for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in Meribel Centre but I have viewed a 2 bedroom apartment in Meribel Village that is well within my budget, right on the slopes, with communal pool, sauna, underground parking, cave and ski locker.

I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on being base in Meribel Centre and Meribel Village.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davejuk, sounds like you're looking at somewhere in Les Fermes in Meribel Village? We stay there every year at Easter and absolutely love it!

Be aware that it's a very quiet place out of season but that might suit you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davejuk, Before you dive in - check the annual charges (in writing) for the place with the pool etc - they can be eye watering (and not because of the chlorine), Lots of the later MGM leasebacks are coming on the market and appear underpriced, because of the charges. It a minefield.........
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for your comments.

I have done a lot of reading so I'm aware of the council taxes (x2) and the building charges.

This particular property is on the market for 360,000 EUR, the council tax is 1600 EUR and the building charge is 2000 EUR.

I thought that was pretty reasonable for access to the pool, sauna, gym, and a car parking space? The pool and gym will look great one the website when letting it out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We (a group of 40-something guys) have stayed in Village for the past 4 years and have found it perfect as we're (mostly) beyond long nights out.

Essentially, it's got one of everything, ie bar, regular restaurant, good restaurant, ski shop, mini supermarket, bakery. Never ever a lift queue, quiet piste home at the end of the day.

The LDV is down to earth and has several lively evenings a week now if you fancy a bit of apres. Bo a Mil is a good restaurant. The bakery does excellent take away pizza.

If you need to get to and fro from centre then the regular bus is fine. We've also walked or a taxi is not too much on the very odd occasions were out a bit late.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@davejuk, there's no comparison. Your previous thread says you're a wannabe party animal. So Meribel centre is the only place to be.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wannabe party animal? Not sure I used quite those words but yes I want to be within a short bus or taxi of good night life.

Once I have my tax return completed in a couple of week I will be returning to France and hopefully making an offer.

Thanks for your help.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@davejuk, If you can afford it, then always strive to be as close to what you want as possible... I tis ok saying that the busses are good in meribel, however, you'll soon get fed up of having to queue and wait for busses back up to Meribel Village, if you're enjoying your apres in the centre... Just saying Very Happy

Also, with reference to your fees etc. and monies that you have looked into, you should look into CFE tax as well... If the plan is to rent out your properties you could end up paying this instead of one of your standard taxes (TF and TH). Just because Meribel's Marie might not insist on it now, doesn't mean that you won't soon as I understand more maries are pushing this through now in more and more places...

Also, I pay in the region of £400 per annum for an accountant to do the books... Small fee but something else you need to add to the annual outgoings...(I have no idea of your financial state so this could all be nothing to worry about) Smile

Good luck in your hunt buddy... Exciting times Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks.

The apartment is on the slopes in Meribel Village and is 2km from Meribel Centre. I don't mind getting a bus or taxi but not in ski gear, so it's seems to be perfect for both skiing and nightlife. 2km is fine.

I have an accountant in the UK who does my year end accounts and completes my self-assessment. Do you have an accountant in France as well?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davejuk, I use CharlesHamer for all my French stuff... They are very good and seem to have quite a list of folk that own French property...

Unless your UK accountant is up to speed on all things French bureaucracy, I'd recommend a French account to oversea stuff for your French income...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd say Village sounds grand. The bus service is fine if you need it. The lift out of Village is great and there are rarely any queues so you can link quickly to Courchevel, with only a bit of extra faffing to get to the VT valley compared to Meribel Centre. The big selling point of Mottaret is how well linked it is so it is much faster to get to anywhere in the 3V from Mottaret than Centre.

I'm not sure what your Apres Ski regime looks like but if we were staying in Village and wanted to go on a bender, we'd probably end up doing the Folie Douce, Ronnies, Meribar, Jacks circuit +/- Le Pub depending on how bad we were. That would leave us in Meribel Centre and we'd have the option of an easy bus or cab over to Village depending on the time.

The other thing worth bearing in mind is that you are very close to La Tania from Village, which is important if they ever close the links because it means you can access Courchevel easily whereas others in Meribel have to work a bit harder.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy