Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming School Trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My 11 year old daughter has the opportunity to go on a school ski trip to Schladming from 15-22 December this year. I have never been to this resort or tbh heard of it. So my question is what is the snow like so early in the season? I am concerned it is a lot of money to pay if the snow is going to be poor. Any comments would be gratefully received. Thanks Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SkiMumof2, it's a great place and ideal for a school trip. It's anyone's guess what the snow will be like, but they have excellent snowmaking so there will (almost certainly) be cover on the main runs.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Planai ( main hill of the 4 mountain area around Schladming ) official opening date was 4th December this season, but i understand lifts were running a while before this date. I believe it was 28th November for the 14/15 season. Huge snowmaking infrastructure on mainly North facing slopes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We spent Christmas 2014 in Schladming. The one when most of the Western Alps were green until the New Year Snowmaggedon. Despite this we had excellent conditions, snow on Christmas day for added effect and a really good week of skiing. The runs from the mid-station to village were closed though not totally unskiable and a few were ignoring the signs. Even so we still had plenty of terrain to enjoy. Christmas is pot-luck wherever you go and if Schladming is suffering there is a good chance many other resorts will be as well. Also, being further East the freezing level tends to be a lot lower than French/Swiss resorts. Schladming/Planai and the other 3 adjoining Dachstein resorts covered with the pass were a real surprise for us, with excellent modern facilities, really good mountain restaurants and good value for money.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lucky, lucky girl. Schladming is always one of the first resorts to open each season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last year we were in Schladming on 12-19 Dec. Plenty of snow down to the middle station. Snow condition was perfect.

Back this year on 10 Dec with every confidence that there will be plenty to slide on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SkiMumof2, I took several school groups to Schladming while still teaching in the UK. It has something for everyone and is a really good reliable choice. I skied there this season on Sunday November 30th and while I downloaded (due to being ill), my friends all skied to the bottom of the pistes that were open. I now live out in the Alps and Schladming is always one of my first non-glacier resorts every season. This is especially important in the period before Christmas as the piste preparation and coverage of snow cannons and snow lances enable them to make snow at temperatures others may consider too warm. Reiteralm (one of the 4 mountains making up the 4-mountain linked circus) is the preferred training hill for all the elite racers (speed and technical), so at that time of the year your daughter has the chance to possibly watch the world's elite training on the hill. I've ridden in gondolas and on chairs with many of the top skiers over the years and guess what, they are in the main all very modest, super nice and friendly, especially to keen young skiers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you to everyone for your replies - it seems nobody has a bad word to say about this resort. Best I get saving then Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy