Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beat this for Value

Poster: A snowHead
am feeling slightly smug at my bargain put together ski holiday for Feb half term 2017.
Flights heathrow to oslo £455 (4)
Cabin Trysil £805
Car hire Bmw £77!!!
Heathrow airport overnight £49

To buy
Ski pass x4 £580
Ski hire x4 £280

Total price for 4 £2248

Well chuffed
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@warbis66,
You forgot to add
1 round of drinks £200 wink

Well done though
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nah!!!
We take two boxes of wine🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What you going to drink on the second night?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's well worth feeling chuffed about. Congratulations.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@warbis66, may see you there.....where'd you get the hire car from?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
economy car hire.......
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dobby are you already booked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
booking a rear wheel drive car to go to a ski resort?? I hope they're good at keeping the roads clear if you get a dump of snow!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roads in norway are always snow free.......
Also....why are people so negative????
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@warbis66, sorry no negativity intended, just wouldn't be my first choice of car! Well done on the deal, Sounds like a bargain for anywhere, let alone Norway, in half term. Always quite fancied seeking what Norway has to offer skiing wise - make sure you post a trip report up here when you've been.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks! Will do......better speak to the old man about the car hire.....i will probably get told its no good....it was the BMW that attracted me!!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@warbis66, not booked yet. About to sort it out. Done Hemsedal a couple of times and Are once. Fancy Are again or Trysil.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've hired rear wheel drive BMW 320d's in Norway on more than one occasion. They put proper tyres on over there and cars drove just fine on snow, ice, and even up (moderate) hills.

There was a problem one warmer day when we had sheet ice with melt water running over it. Needed to drive car out of garage to car park on other side of a gently sloping road - was not a nice feeling as all four wheel lost traction and we proceeded to slide sideways down the hill. Came to rest on a corner about 30m down the road against a snowbank. Tried getting out of car and fell flat on my face, I was like bambi on ice and had to crawl back into car - I've never in my life encountered a surface quite so slippy!

Got a couple of people to push me off the snowbank and slithered the remaining 50m to the bottom of the hill with literally zero control bouncing gently off the snowbanks either side.

But none of that was down to being in a RWD car. And the plastic body panels did a fantastic job of not revealing my little incident to Hertz. The Mercedes G Wagon that came down just after faired less well - it was stuck pretty hard in the snow bank, but had been travelling faster down the road when it hit the slippy section.

The only thing that was going to work on that road was studded tyres, but you won't get those on a hire car.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dobby
I have been to Hemsedal, Trysil and Geillo, Hemsedal is my fave but the skiiing is much better at Trysil
just love NOrway!
ski holidays
@warbis66, on-piste skiing at Trysil looks a lot better than Hemsedal (apart from snow being rhubarb early season this year), so that's where we're going, I think. Also relatively good value at half term.
snow conditions
chopkins13 wrote:
booking a rear wheel drive car to go to a ski resort?? I hope they're good at keeping the roads clear if you get a dump of snow!

If there's weight in the back then it might not be so bad. I remember when we had snow over year years ago and I found it easier to get to work in a RWD MR2 than most other people did. I put a lot of that down to the engine being over the driving wheels. It was also a lot more fun too Very Happy
snow report
warbis66 wrote:
thanks! Will do......better speak to the old man about the car hire.....i will probably get told its no good....it was the BMW that attracted me!!!!

It'll be fine. We also got given a BMW hire car from Oslo airport for our trip to Lillehammer at Christmas. On a pretty scary attempt to drive up to the top of Hafjell, other cars were sliding and stopping to put on snow chains. Our beemer cruised past no problems. It will be fitted with winter tyres.
ski holidays
Quote:
Beat this for Value

OK:
Flights to Munich £550
Hilton Hotel at Munich airport £90
Train to St Anton: £108
Apartment £500
sub Total £1266

Quote:

Total price for 4 £2248

LOL. I think not. That's not the total price, that's just the price for most of the stuff.
In addition to
Lift passes £550 (can't recall exactly)
Taxi to apartment £16
Food,
Beer,
Kids ski lessons ~£300
Taxi home from the airport.
Souvenirs and a tip for the cleaner, ours came in at £2640 or thereabouts. But that was for everything apart from annual holiday insurance.

And that was skiing one of the top 10 resorts in the world, not some northern backwater Madeye-Smiley

Last year we did Sella Ronda area for about £300 less. The year before we really lucked out and did Arabba for around £2200. Which also included a day off piste guiding and the Val de Mesdi.
snow report
Never add up the true full cost of a ski holiday
snow report
@Themasterpiece, I always analyse my trips to work out what it costs me, but being a single bloke with no kids it doesn't always end up that bad.

Did a s/c package with a couple of mates a few years ago:

Flights, transfers, accommodation, lift pass, rental = £455
Drive to Gatwick and back - £50
Airport parking - £50
Euros - £100
Food taken with - £50
Duty free - £50

All told it was less than £800 for the whole trip, and that's not considering that I'd have had food and drink if I'd stayed at home. Sure we lived like paupers for a week and were generally too knackered to leave the room, but it was a great trip.
ski holidays
My recent boarding trip didn't break more than £400, including everything. But then, us snow bums have our contacts and our extreme ways to save the pennies Razz
ski holidays
Re - With the electrics on modern rear wheel drive cars they are not so big a liability anymore. In a recent german winter car test a RWD car beat a FWD. Shocked
snow report
@DB, Don't know about that, I have a 1 year old Mercedes & it struggled in my UK residential street with 1\4 inch of snow.
ski holidays
ah but Flinnster did you go at Feb Half term?
ski holidays
@warbis66, Looks like a great deal to me!

I have never and will never analyse the complete cost of the holiday. Where do you stop, do you take into account savings on heating at home, savings in use of food from the pantry and the cleaners wages etc? Do you add on the costs of losing a week's salary as you could have earnt extra by working a week of holiday? Pointless exercise in my view as it's really not being done properly, so why do it at all? Headline figure will do and warbis has done.
ski holidays
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:
Beat this for Value

OK:
Flights to Munich £550
Hilton Hotel at Munich airport £90
Train to St Anton: £108
Apartment £500
sub Total £1266

Quote:

Total price for 4 £2248

LOL. I think not. That's not the total price, that's just the price for most of the stuff.
In addition to
Lift passes £550 (can't recall exactly)
Taxi to apartment £16
Food,
Beer,
Kids ski lessons ~£300
Taxi home from the airport.
Souvenirs and a tip for the cleaner, ours came in at £2640 or thereabouts. But that was for everything apart from annual holiday insurance.

He had included lift passes and ski hire in the total above, and with car hire there will be no taxi to the apartment (or back) costs.

He didn't include fuel for the hire car, which he probably should.

He also didn't include food or beer, but probably on the basis that he would be paying for those at home otherwise.

I note also you don't say whetehr yours is at February half-term or how many of you - is it reasonable to assume those variables were the same?
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:

Exactly.

Our Christmas / New Year "treat" this year:

2 x Business BA to Jackson hole
1 x 4 star hotel B&B
11 nights dining out
Apres ski
2 x 11 day lift passes
Some new ski gear
Prezzies for family back home
Visit to art gallery (!!)
2* full day snowmobiling in Yellowstone
2*2*day trips to Grand Targhee

I have a vague idea how much it all cost but I'm sure if I actually sat down and added it all up it would be quite a bit more; in fact I'm sure some people could almost do a season on it.

Anyway, there's no pockets in a shroud !!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well happy for people to not think it is a bargain...of course , it isnt who can say £2000 is a bargain, but in terms of a family ski holiday, all in for Feb half term its a pretty good price. When you compare it to "package holiday" prices you are saving around £3k
snow report
So this year for Feb half Term I got flights Lufty to Munich for abut 120 pp and drove to Austria. We then shared a 4 bed appt with another family, for 2k euros, so 1k euros for us = £725 at rates at the time. Car hire was just under 200, fuel was £30. So all in for under 1500, I was very pleased.

Unfortunately I missed booking the Munich flights for next Feb half term as after we got back from this half term I had a two week business trip - by the time I got home I'd missed the cheap flights. They already seem to be 200-250pp, BA are silly money as usual looking at 300-400 each way for GVA, LYS, TRN etc.

@warbis66, would you mind sharing a few more details on who you booked accommodation and car hire with. Having seen your post and looked at flights to Oslo and the resort info for Trysil, this looks like something that might be a goer, and flights still seem sensibly priced. Could you PM me details of who you booked with ?

Cheers
latest report
Cram four in a car and hire an apartment. Total just under £400 each:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2649230

Good value but lots of driving involved.
snow report
dsoutar wrote:
in fact I'm sure some people could almost do a season on it.

some people, indeed, ie more than one! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@gazza do you want to give me your email address....can you message on here?
ski holidays
We never do the sums!
snow conditions
@TheGeneralist, I'd be really interested in the specifics costs of your 2 dolomite trips:

We are pricing next half term up in San Cassiano for a family of 4 with teens and are way over. I thought this was still reasonable for half term.

1982 acc HB 3 star
560 flights
309 ski hire
720 ski pass
500 spending
334 transfer
No lessons
—————-
£4405 total

I guess you may have driven and self catered? Where else did you save costs on both occasions?

Thanks
Very Happy
ski holidays
Themasterpiece wrote:

This was a bit tongue in cheek as I do add up the main items; flights, accommodation, transfer/hire car, lift passes, maybe lessons. It's mainly to check DIY is worth the effort vs package (although I quite enjoy researching where to go, and I can pick the exact flight times i want rather than getting up at some ungodly hour etc). But from work I often have airline points and free hotel nights to use, which distorts things.

By the way @warbis66, £2k for a family of 4 in half term sounds like a good deal to me. I presume accommodation was booked through skistar and will be ski-in ski-out?
ski holidays
oh yes!!!! only ever do ski ski out...never been on a bus! We are down the mountain this time though near the trysil turissenter not up the top like we usually are. Thought we would be more sociable!
ski holidays
@warbis66, could you advise how much you spend on food and drink if self catering in Norway? I understood it was horrendously expensive even by the Swedes, so would be keen to know. Are you eating in most nights or going out? Do you have lunch on the slopes etc? How much booze do this consume other than the wine you bring (in your suitcases?!). Lol 😜

I was going to factor in £1k for food and drink (maybe even more) in San Cassiano if we self catered.
ski holidays
£1k for self catering? Shocked Shocked Shocked is that "self catering" as in breakfast of freshly squeezed orange juice with champagne, scrambled egg and smoked salmon and a 3 course dinner in a restaurant?
snow report
Eating out in Norway is ridiculous cost, but there is a supermarket right in trysil turissenter. The thing I'm not sure about in Norway is I haven't seen any grills or warm huts to make/eat your own food on the mountain like you do in Sweden?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy